• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Whether you are removing a primer that is in backwards or one that is seated in the proper orientation just use a slow smooth pull on the press's handle and the primer will not detonate. It is fast hard strikes that will set the primer off.

:+1:

I've done a couple - a few seated upside down and a few that misfired. a long slow push is key. I've never had one fire off on the press.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    i just did 2 that were backwards. i put wd40 in the primer, let it sit for a minute then deprimed it.
    Sparky, NOT to flame you at all-just to let you know-If you can find your old WD-40'd primers, with proper protection, put those primers on a hard surface and hit them with a sledge hammer==I can guarantee that they will go off.
    As been said before-a slow-steady-push into the decap die will safely remove primer without going off. Slow and easy--NO fast work here..

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    i just did 2 that were backwards. i put wd40 in the primer, let it sit for a minute then deprimed it.

As has been stated, WD40 won't deactivate a primer. And even if it did, it takes a lot more time than a few minutes to allow the priming compound to absorb anything. The primer pellet is pressed in, a tight foil seal is pressed in on top of it, then a sealant is applied.

I refer you to post number 26 and 30 of this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...9-anyone_blow_up_their_dillon_reloader-3.html

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I just thought of something else, I've bought surplus primers at knob creek that came out of 30 carbine. Never had a problem with them misfireing, how do you suppose they deprime them? I bet their ran through a press

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I just thought of something else, I've bought surplus primers at knob creek that came out of 30 carbine. Never had a problem with them misfireing, how do you suppose they deprime them? I bet their ran through a press
    ^^^Or-They have "Big Moe" sitting in the corner, with a huge pair of lungs+just blow those old primers out??

Doc Unique

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    I have removed a few through the years.
    Slow and steady makes the difference and i have also
    successfully re-used them.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    PSQOD (Possible Stupid Question Of the Day)

If it's not upside down, why not just chamber the empty and detonate the primer.
    Pointing the gun in a safe direction of course.
    Problem solved, totally safe.

Flame On! :D

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    PSQOD (Possible Stupid Question Of the Day)

If it's not upside down, why not just chamber the empty and detonate the primer.
    Pointing the gun in a safe direction of course.
    Problem solved, totally safe.

Flame On! :D
    This will work-BUT-
    Why punch a good primer-unless have brass problem?
    It REALLY dirty's a gun=primer crunches are dirtier than powder.
    If you just want to hear a pop-light the fuse on a Black Cat FC..
    PS. Some revolvers will lock up with primer only charge!!

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    heh..i've got about 20 primed cases i accidentally tossed in the tumbler that have a little piece of walnut media stuck in the flash hole in the bottom of the case. i'm hesitant to load them. anyone? Bueller?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    heh..i've got about 20 primed cases i accidentally tossed in the tumbler that have a little piece of walnut media stuck in the flash hole in the bottom of the case. i'm hesitant to load them. anyone? Bueller?

Pop 'em. Or load them and fire them one at a time making sure they actually fire...

Try tapping them case mouth down, you might be able to dislodge the media.

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I was curious on this subject. Had a case that was damaged during the seating of the bullet. Wanted to save the brass in my scrap brass pile. So, tonight, I went out and put it in the press. WENT real slow, NO WD-40, NO solvent ! She popped out just fine. So, I then put one in UPSIDE down just for giggles, same thing as above. Came out just fine ! OK,, now I'm really curious,, put one in sideways,, YES,, sideways ! Didn't go off inserting it and it didn't go off removing it. I guess slow is the key...
    I'm going to tell a story on myself now,,, When I was in the 2nd grade, I seen my brother that was 6yrs older than I am take a 22 cartridge, lay it on the back patio and smack it with a hammer pointing it out to a field behind our house. Well, when he wasn't home, I found his stash of bullets. I had to give this a whirl because it seemed so cool. I don't remember how many I set off with that hammer. But, boy O boy did I have fun. lol Now, had my Mom found this out.. I'd probably not be here to type this.... lol

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    On those cases I would fire in the gun. Too much chance of a non-fire, squib, or other nasty things to happen by loading/shooting them. If you would try to decap you will increase your odds of having a pop in the press, due to the walnut shell into the anvil of the primer.
    You could make some plugs out of cardboard and have fun with them with the neighbors cats????????
    Fire them in your gun+then clean your gun WELL!!!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    .22 with a hammer??

Ruger47, I did the same thing as a kid-only-I put the .22 in Dads vise, and hit it with a chisel pointed tack hammer!:dunno: How did we ever survive??:rockwoot:

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I've never had a primer pop when you extract them by the anvil, and I have decapped a TON of them. When I first bought my first Dillon 650, the primer feed was off by a partial rotation - and I had primers that went in upside down, sideways, everyway but correctly. I decapped every single one, and pitched them, saving the brass.

People, they're primers. In a single stage, the blast will be directed into the die, or through the ram hole. In a progressive, it'll be directed either into the shell plate (steel) or into the die, resulting in a little scorch mark - that's all. No one is going to die, is a freaking primer. You're not playing with dynamite - and on progressive presses, powder measures are sealed with an air-tight rim.

Punch away.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I've never had a primer pop when you extract them by the anvil, and I have decapped a TON of them. When I first bought my first Dillon 650, the primer feed was off by a partial rotation - and I had primers that went in upside down, sideways, everyway but correctly. I decapped every single one, and pitched them, saving the brass.

People, they're primers. In a single stage, the blast will be directed into the die, or through the ram hole. In a progressive, it'll be directed either into the shell plate (steel) or into the die, resulting in a little scorch mark - that's all. No one is going to die, is a freaking primer. You're not playing with dynamite - and on progressive presses, powder measures are sealed with an air-tight rim.

Punch away.
    Yes, this is true--It's just the "Pee Your Pants" syndrome that comes into play..BTW the last time that I had a primer pop was with my old Lee Loader-Hell sometime back in the early "70's"
    A person hasn't really loaded ammo until you have loaded with a Lee Loader=Whack+Smack it all together..

Top Bottom