• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    A lot of the people buying now are buying due to fear. It makes them feel secure to have a lot of ammunition. This especially applies to people paying the extortionist prices for some rifle calibers right now.
    ^^^ This. It would easily explain the guy buying up 10 boxes of Tula .40 S&W at Wally World tonight.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    The rumor* I heard is that ammo mfgrs. are shifting resources from rimfire to centerfire ammo production.

My guess is that runs on ammo is contagious and spreads from caliber to caliber. Eventually, buyers will be broke and things will settle down.

* I can't verify this at all and please keep this disclaimer when you pass on this rumor. Oh, and lifetime LTCH's are going away.

I just went to the City County Building with a friend to get her lifetime carry permit and there was no indication that they would be discontinued.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Its kind of self perpetuating. Like the "toilet paper" fiasco a few years ago. Someone tells "Joe", I've been trying to buy .223 ammo EVERYWHERE, it's all gone! Joe tells his friend "Jim" there is an ammo shortage and buys 10 boxes of 9MM. (probably a 2 year supply for Joe. So Jim goes to the mall and buys all the 22 ammo he can find. Then tells "Jack", I just bought the last box of ammo at Wally's. This goes on and on. My son told me yesterday a guy he works with bought some ammo and he doesn't even have a gun of the same caliber. Told my son he plans to buy a gun that uses that ammo and wants to have some when he gets the gun! My son and I went to the 1500 today, were going to buy some bullets, maybe some Mil surplus .303 etc. Ended up total bought for both of us: 2 polish sausage sandwiches and a small tube of gun grease! WHAT A MADHOUSE!

Linc8301

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Is it just the fact that, the ammo manufacturers cant keep up with it, or what. If I was an ammo manufacturer I would try and start producing more because of how quickly its gonna be sold. Make more money that way. Unless that is what they are doing and it is still getting sold to quickly? I dont know just my thoughts.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Is it just the fact that, the ammo manufacturers cant keep up with it, or what. If I was an ammo manufacturer I would try and start producing more because of how quickly its gonna be sold. Make more money that way. Unless that is what they are doing and it is still getting sold to quickly? I dont know just my thoughts.
    They're producing at max capacity, thing is demand is higher than they can produce. This buying spree is temporary though, so they aren't going to build new factories and production lines for demand that will disappear in a month or two.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    They're producing at max capacity, thing is demand is higher than they can produce. This buying spree is temporary though, so they aren't going to build new factories and production lines for demand that will disappear in a month or two.

Out of curiosity, how do you know they are producing at max capacity?

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I bought some mags for my gun and went to Plainfield Shooting Supply to get some 9mm HP. I didn't realize that they're limiting boxes of ammo to one box per person. So I called up Beech Grove Firearms yesterday and they said they had quite a few 9mm Federal HP in stock. I went to get some today around noon and there was only one box left! This is the first time I've bought any ammo since people started buying up everything.

Bishop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Waynetown Area
    Get ahold of this one. A contractor came into my breakroom at work today and said that Obama just announced that AW were completely banned. No more imports and no more private sector manufacturing. If you own an AW you can grandfather it in, has to be registered of course. Then when you pass on, the ATF will come to your house before the ink is dry on the death certificate and confiscate the weapon. And he said this in all seriousness AND with a straight face.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Well as I see it, ammo just keeps getting more expensive. The last time (and it was the last time) that I was in Dicks, they had .38 Special on sale for a decent price so I bought the six boxes that they had left. It's going for more today then it did then...

This. The price of ammo is not going to get cheaper. My wife and I buy in bulk. When I bought 10 bags of kitty litter my mother looked at me funny. I told her my cats aren't going to stop pooping. I have a habit of buying a box of what ever caliber when I am at a store. If it is something I am short of, I will buy two boxes: one to shoot and one to stockpile. Perhaps others are doing the same. I used to buy .22LR before I bought a gun that shot that round, because I knew that someday I was going to buy a Ruger 10/22. Now I have the gun and the ammo too.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Guess im in luck. I reload and have a.good supply of componets for all calibers, I have had to switch up.my normal powders though due to a shortage ( or at least a shortagr where I normally buy at.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Out of curiosity, how do you know they are producing at max capacity?
    Just thinking from a business standpoint. Would make sense to try and meet demand, but I suppose they could not be and are perpetuating the demand.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I'm a reloader, it's a hobby for me and I have a good supply of all the popular calibers except the .223/5.56, maybe 200 or so rounds so I told the guys at Beech Grove Firearms and Range to let me know if they would be getting any in.
    Well yesterday I was in there and Jerry hollard at me and said a guy at the counter with his wife or girlfriend had some for sale that he no longer needed so I offered him a fair price and he accepted and now I can check off that caliber also.
    With the rally and the ammo and all, yesterday was a great day.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Saw ammo at the last Pocket Traders. Didn't pay any attention to the price as I never have waited until there wasn't any to try and get some. Always searching for what I want, and get it ahead of time. There will be a lot of .22LR at the next one from what a friend of mine had told me.

Last edited:

jabbett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I could be wrong but I find it hard to accept the fact that ammo manufacturers are producing product at maximum capacity. Businesses are in business to make money. When the chance comes to increase profit, you take it. Especially, in this economy. Even if it is for a short period of time. There is the possibility that manufacturers cannot attain enough raw materials in order to ramp up production.

I believe something is happening that we aren't aware of. I don't know what, just a gut feeling. I have seen a couple of news stories where police departments are having trouble buying ammo. You would think government agencies would have no problem getting ammo.

Top Bottom