• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The new DNR rule proposals are up on the Natural Resources Commission website. These proposed changes were preliminarily adopted by the NRC on November 20, 2012.

They will be up for final adoption at the NRC January meeting at
    January 15, 2013 (10:00 a.m., EST (9:00 a.m., CST), Ballroom, The Garrison, Fort Harrison State Park, Indianapolis.

PERSONAL OBSERVATION – I have heard from a very reliable source that some folks will be asking the NRC to amend that request to a start date of November 1 to end at the start of the firearm season. That would basically remove legal, license buying crossbowers from a significant portion of their own season. IE, the pre-rut. Personally, to me that is anti-hunting.

That basically says that their request is not about “heritage”, a “season of their own” or even “good deer management”. It is all about “buck hunting” for themselves. Please comment on that.

The inclusion of the crossbows this year have been a win-win for the state of Indiana. We are recruiting more hunters, retaining more older hunters, helping to manage the deer herd and has given a boost to the state’s economy. To step backwards would be a shame.

Please contact the NRC voicing you own opinions on that and the following -

THE PROPOSED RULE CHANGES URL

http://www.in.gov/nrc/files/misc_fw_rules.pdf

WHERE TO GIVE YOUR MUCH NEEDED INPUT
    NRC: Current Rule Proposals

DEER REGULATION PROPOSED CHANGES

EARLY ARCHERY SEASON

312 IAC 9-3-4 Season dates and bag limits
    (c) The archery deer season is from September 15 through the first Sunday in January.
    312 IAC 9-3-3 Equipment for deer hunting
    (b) During the archery season established in section 4(c) of this rule, an individual must hunt deer only with the following equipment as follows:
    (1) With a long bow, recurve bow, or compound bow that has at least thirty-five (35) pounds pull with
    a valid license identified at section 2(f) of this rule.
    (2) From October 1 through the first Sunday in January with a crossbow with a valid license identified at section 2(g) of this rule.

PRIMITIVE MUZZLELOADER SEASON

(i)The primitive muzzleloader season is from the first Monday in January and continues for an
    additional six (6) consecutive days. An individual must not take more than one (1) deer of either sex under this subsection and subsection 4(f) combine.
    (f) During the primitive muzzleloader season established in section 4(i) of this rule, an individual
    may hunt deer only with a muzzleloading long gun as follows:
    (1) fire black powder or black powder substitute;
    (2) have a traditional, external side-hammer design;
    (3) be capable of being loaded only from the muzzle;
    (4) have a caliber of at least.45;
    (5) be loaded with a bullet at least four hundred forty thousandths (.440) of an inch
    diameter;
    (5) have an ignition system that is flintlock or caplock;
    (6) use a lead round ball or lead conical bullet without plastic or other sabot;
    (7) have traditional-style open sights (fixed or adjustable v-notched rear sight, buckhorn
    rear sight, metallic rear peep sight, and post or blade front sight); and
    (8) not have telescopic or other sights that incorporate glass or electronics

DO IT TODAY!!!

THANKS,

Last edited:

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    PERSONAL OBSERVATION – I have heard from a very reliable source the same folks that requested the early vertical bow only season will be petitioning the NRC to amend that request to a start date of November 1 to end at the start of the firearm season. That would basically remove legal, license buying crossbowers from a significant portion of their own season. IE, the pre-rut. Personally, to me that is anti-hunting.

That basically says that their request is not about “heritage”, a “season of their own” or even “good deer management”. It is all about “buck hunting” for themselves. Please comment on that.

The inclusion of the crossbows this year have been a win-win for the state of Indiana. We are recruiting more hunters, retaining more older hunters, helping to manage the deer herd and has given a boost to the state’s economy. To step backwards would be a shame.

Where did you hear that Willie? If you have proof id love to hear it cause that might change my opinion. However, i'm not going to give my opinion based on an internet rumor and I hope others won't either. I am going to give my opinion on what's been proposed, nothing more.

Personally, I hope your rumor is wrong because that would be a real A-hole thing to do. I would not support anything to take away what has already been granted, despite my strong opinion that crossbows don't fit in archery season.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Where did you hear that Willie? If you have proof id love to hear it cause that might change my opinion. However, i'm not going to give my opinion based on an internet rumor and I hope others won't either. I am going to give my opinion on what's been proposed, nothing more.

That is fine..ALL comments are welciome, I'm sure.

Personally, I hope your rumor is wrong because that would be a real A-hole thing to do. I would not support anything to take away what has already been granted, despite my strong opinion that crossbows don't fit in archery season.

Sorry... I will not divulge my source..not an a"internet rumor" though.

My input..

Hunter Opportunity…

I have always been for as much hunter opportunity as long as it does not negatively affect the wildlife resource.

I fully support any group wanting a season of their own to pursue the game with the hunting tool of their choice – as long as they do not displace another hunter group out of any portion their own season.

With that said - I support the early vertical archery season as presently proposed. Personally, I would like to see an earlier start date than September 15th. A start of the first Saturday in September would give the vertical bowhunters the opportunity to take a prized “velvet buck”. Kentucky has had such a season for a number of years and it seems to be well liked by the Kentucky bowhunters.

I also support the late primitive muzzleloader season for the same reason – more hunter opportunity. I do appreciate that the DNR listened and made a couple important changes from the original proposal - namely allowing the black powder substitutes as black powder is hard to find anymore and the addition of conicals as legal bullets.

Thank you…..

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My input:

I personally think that the "vertical bow" only and "primitive only" seasons are a ridiculous concept devised and pushed by a very small minority of hunters in our state. It is a device to make hunting more exclusive for a few. They have every right as the law stands RIGHT NOW to hunt with the vertical bows or primitive muzzleloaders. Why make additional "exclusive" seasons? Also, it seems the idea of bumping the "vertical only" season either to the chunk of season before the youth hunt or (I've heard) to the two weeks before firearms is a poorly disguised attempt to allow a "vocal minority" of bow only folks to get a shot at "their bucks" before others.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    A lot of states have primitive only muzzle-loader seasons, and I think it is great that Indiana is thinking about making this change. There isn't much challenge in muzzle-loading hunting today with all of the modern in-line loaders out there. I look forward to having the opportunity to harvest a deer with a smooth-bore flintlock.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    You already have the opportunity in muzzleloading season.I have hunted previously with flintlocks and percussion muzzleloaders. I think it should be my choice just like it is now.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A lot of states have primitive only muzzle-loader seasons, and I think it is great that Indiana is thinking about making this change. There isn't much challenge in muzzle-loading hunting today with all of the modern in-line loaders out there. I look forward to having the opportunity to harvest a deer with a smooth-bore flintlock.

I've used my .50 hawkens with round balls for the last three years during muzzleloader season, and I didn't need a primitive only season to do it. :dunno:

In all honesty, I won't get all bent out of shape if these rule changes go through, as I already hunt with vertical bow and I really kinda enjoy hunting with my sidelock. I just don't see the point in making exclusive seasons for equipment that you can already use if desired.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    My input:

I personally think that the "vertical bow" only and "primitive only" seasons are a ridiculous concept devised and pushed by a very small minority of hunters in our state. It is a device to make hunting more exclusive for a few. They have every right as the law stands RIGHT NOW to hunt with the vertical bows or primitive muzzleloaders. Why make additional "exclusive" seasons? Also, it seems the idea of bumping the "vertical only" season either to the chunk of season before the youth hunt or (I've heard) to the two weeks before firearms is a poorly disguised attempt to allow a "vocal minority" of bow only folks to get a shot at "their bucks" before others.

This pretty much says it all.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I never did or will get the concept as to why hunters who choose to use certain equipment feel the need for a "special" season.:dunno: Why not a season for only wheel locks, match locks, etc... To follow the logic we need to ban muzzleloaders from firearm season. Make 'em stay in their own season. Too many killing my deer.....

That being said, whether it's a burning piece of cord, hammer and percussion cap, flint and frizzen, or striker and the trigger is pulled, the powder and projectile don't know the difference and could care less what set them off. The end result is the same. If it loads from the muzzle it's a muzzleloader.

I remember this type of discussion years ago when inlines came on the scene. They were going to ruin muzzleloader season.....:rolleyes:

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    How about an extened youth season to give the kids a chance to fill a tag without competing with all the other hunters ? One weekend in Sept. just doesn't give much oppertunity. After all they are the future.

Corbinator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    The recruitment and retention of hunters should be at the forefront of any decision ! Just saying. Without hunters imagine the insurance increases.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    If they feeel the need to have extended seasons I am all for it,but if I have to get other equipment to be able to hunt that time when I already have muzzleloaders that is a crock. It seems to me that the traditionalist if thats what you want to call them are out to have the woods all to themselves so maybe they get the monster before anybody else has the opportunity I think they need to hone there skills and become better hunters or quit crying about an exclusive season.Muzzleloaders muzzleloader and archery is archery.Extended seasons would be alright with me but there is plenty of deer to go around so include everybody.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If they feeel the need to have extended seasons I am all for it,but if I have to get other equipment to be able to hunt that time when I already have muzzleloaders that is a crock. It seems to me that the traditionalist if thats what you want to call them are out to have the woods all to themselves so maybe they get the monster before anybody else has the opportunity I think they need to hone there skills and become better hunters or quit crying about an exclusive season.Muzzleloaders muzzleloader and archery is archery.Extended seasons would be alright with me but there is plenty of deer to go around so include everybody.

I really do not understand your line of thinking, because the proposed primitive muzzleloader season is after every other season, so everyone else will have a crack at the alleged monster first. It is expanding the opportunity for people to have a little more effective range than they would have had if archery was their only option during that time as it is currently. If you don't want to buy more equipment then you had better hone your skills so you can connect during the regular muzzleloader season. I hope we can get a season where treestands, scent blocking clothes and camoflage is prohibited then we will see who the hunters are.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am not sure why anyone would be upset about additional seasons that give us opportunities to hunt deer earlier or later than our current seasons. For those who do not use a primitive weapon or a vertical bow, nothing is changing for you. More than likely, the extended seasons will include the other weapons at some point in time, in the future.

Your arguement is not 100% valid or you should be arguing that we should be able to use what ever weapon we want from Oct 1 to the first Saturday in January. Why should bow hunters have thier own season. If they want to use a bow, they can do so during the gun and muzzleloader seasons and for that, why do we need to have a muzzleloader season.

More opportunities are better for everyone.

I do not agree with opening the season September 1st and may not agree with Sept 15th just for the fact that new borns sometimes still have their spots at that time which my personal opinion is that the newborns need a little more time to mature and learn how to live on their own.

I actually sent in a suggestion for the primative season about 4 or 5 years ago being from PA, I wanted just a little longer to deer hunt so I am happy about the proposed primative season.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I'm with MRP2003. Why all these season? Let's just have deer season use whatever the law allows and hunt from Oct. to mid Jan. Buy a deer license and tag for the first deer then additional tags as needed....It'll never fly...way too simple....:@ya:...<><Duce

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Food for thought: It doesn't matter if you're an archer, BP shooter. Crossbow, Pistol, Rifle or shotgun/hunter, we better speak with one voice. From what I've seen the deer is being managed to maximize income, not for the betterment of the herd.....:@ya:...<><Duce

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom