• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Im looking into reloading and want some opinions on presses. Ive been looking at dillon 650 or the rcbs pro 2000. I'll mainly be loading 40 s&w and 223 occasionally.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Cant go wrong with Dillon. I have never used one but their reputation is outstanding. I dont hear of many people using RCBS progressive.

I use Hornady LNL and I really like it

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Years ago (something like 20+) I purchased a Lee Classic Turret press and have never wished I purchased a different one. Very easy to use and can reload almost any round you might want below .50 BMG.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Check out the Dillon 550 also. Same quality as the 650 but it will save you some $.
    I personally would get the 550 and a single stage, I don't de-prime 223 on my Dillon.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm going through the same process as well. It seems there are a lot of good presses out there and it really comes down to personal preference. You need to decide what you want to do and why you want to start reloading... volume, accuracy, odd calibers, etc.

There are hundreds of thousands of hours of YouTube video out there, but I think this Hickcock 45 video is ask excellent place to start.

[video=youtube_share;irC3NuIKDm4]http://youtu.be/irC3NuIKDm4[/video]

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I's a firm believer if you are new to reloading start simple with a good single stage press. Yes it takes longer but it's simpler with less chance of error and you get a better understanding of what each stage does. Also every reloading bench should a have a good single stage press, they are invaluable for depriming, pulling bullets with a collect die, (try using a kinetic puller on a few hundred rounds you decided aren't up to snuff and you'll soon realize doing it on a press is the better way), reforming brass from one caliber to another, swaging primer pockets with a press mounted swager is an easy task.

I only use a single stage presses, rifle rounds, depending on the lube, still have to come off the press to wipe the case lube off the brass or be thrown it in a tumble to get the lube off, on handgun rounds I use 2 single stages set up side by side, resize on 1 and bell the mouth on 2 until I get a coffee can full, then hand prime the cases, change out the dies and seat on 1 and crimp on 2.

Just my :twocents:

Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I's a firm believer if you are new to reloading start simple with a good single stage press. Yes it takes longer but it's simpler with less chance of error and you get a better understanding of what each stage does. Also every reloading bench should a have a good single stage press, they are invaluable for depriming, pulling bullets with a collect die, (try using a kinetic puller on a few hundred rounds you decided aren't up to snuff and you'll soon realize doing it on a press is the better way), reforming brass from one caliber to another, swaging primer pockets with a press mounted swager is an easy task.

I only use a single stage presses, rifle rounds, depending on the lube, still have to come off the press to wipe the case lube off the brass or be thrown it in a tumble to get the lube off, on handgun rounds I use 2 single stages set up side by side, resize on 1 and bell the mouth on 2 until I get a coffee can full, then hand prime the cases, change out the dies and seat on 1 and crimp on 2.

Just my :twocents:

Thanks real helpful. What would be a good single stage to start with?

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    RCBS Rock Chucker, Hornady Lock N Load, Lee Classic, lyman Crusher and Redding Big Boss. Basically any of the major players in reloading have good single stage press. One thing to make sure of is that they are cast iron not aluminum. A good press will last you the rest of your life, I'm still using a RCBS from the late 70's, (my first press) and it's still going strong. Most companies will sell their presses in kits which if you don't have anything and can save you some money. One other piece of advice, get a decent balance beam scale first along with a good powder throw. Digital scales are great for weighing bullets and getting your powder throw close but a balance beam isn't affect by temperature or power fluctuations. When first starting out safety first, no sense in blowing you or a gun up.

Start simple, start safe even it take a little more time. If you really enjoy reloading then everything you pickup now will be of use in the future and you will add other items with a better understanding of what you need, want and like.

Last edited:

Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I have looked at the RCBS rock chucker from profire. That will probably be where i start then until i get the reloading process down safely.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    +1 on the RockChucker as a great single stage press.
    Even if and when you graduate to a progressive press, you'll want to keep the single stage press around for small jobs and precision loading.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    As the saying goes--opinions are like
    I have been loading for over 50 years----started with a Llyman "Tong tool"went to a Herters single stage,then to a Llyman "turret press",then a Pacific,"destroyed a Lee 1000" --on and on--NOW on my bench,I have a MEC 9000H for my shotshells------"Dillon 550" for 223,and 9mm,"Hornady L-n-L" for 40,44,357,and others---------C&H 4 station for 308 and other large rifle rounds----------I still have the Herters single stage for case forming.
    Whats best????? Get the best you can afford-----it will save you time and money in the long run.

tallend 0.02c

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    +1 on the RockChucker as a great single stage press.
    Even if and when you graduate to a progressive press, you'll want to keep the single stage press around for small jobs and precision loading.

^ +1^
    We have 3 RockChucker's set up, a Dillon 550,and a Dillon450 that's soon to be upgraded to a 550

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Speaking from my limited experience (only been reloading 5 yrs, only approx 20k rds reloaded so far) a single stage would be the way to start. It will engrain the basics in your mind and memory. I started on a Redding Big Boss II. It is an awesome press and very heavy duty. I was in Andrew's shop a couple weeks ago and looked at the Lee and RCBS he has for demos. No comparison to the Redding. With that being said, I just added a Dillon 550B to my bench yesterday, set up for 45 acp. Wow!! What a work of art!
    I will still use the Redding, especially for bolt rifle precision rounds, but that Dillon is gonna give me many hours of my life back, since I can crank out 500 rds of pistol league ammo in a couple hrs, vs. 500 rds taking all day. I handle a piece of brass once on the Dillon, as compared to 6 times on the Single stage Redding.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There is a guy in tennessee gun owners that's selling a Dillion square deal with a laundry list of extras. I don't know anything about them as I am using a single stage Rockchucker but if you are interested look him up on TGO. If you need a link, let me know and I'll find it for you.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Not all RCBS priming tools are like that.
    I use a RCBS hand primer that is similar to the Lee one but 1000x better

I've tried all sorts of priming systems and hand priming , for me, is the best, quick and easy to feel if the primer is seated correctly. +1 on the RCBS Universal hand primer, (not the one that takes shell holder or strips)

Top Bottom