Decent red dot for a decent price recommendation for ar15...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I use a Burris Fastfire III with the mount for an AR.. They have served me very well on an M&P and a Glock and I figure if they can take hammering on the slide of a pistol they are tough enough for an AR.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Anyone try a Holosun yet ? The company's optics are getting great reviews and with solar options and 50K hour battery life are being billed as AimPoint killers because they're half the price.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've tested many RDS's fairly extensively. Here's a list of sights that work well for their price point in no particular order.

1) Hi-Lux B-Dot
    2) Vortex SPARC
    3) TRS-25
    4) Trijicon MRO (there is a caveat)
    5) Aimpoint Pro
    6) Meprolight Tru-Dot

Some are more expensive than others, but those listed are $399 or less.

The MRO is a good sight that if used properly and is a decent value. The biggest issue I've seen is that people crush the battery posts by installing the battery incorrectly. Some complain of a blue tint (most every RDS has some tint), .5x magnification (mostly irrelevant if you use both eyes open like you should), optical shift (all RDS's including the T1 Micro has this), and it's ugly (yes it is).

Your video sold me on the TRS-25. At some point, when it gets warmer, I need to make a trip to you shop and spend some money. INGO road trip anyone?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I second(third, forth, whatever they're up to now) the strikefire, my only complaint is the battery, they are kinda expensive (its a cr2) so far the best place Ive found is target 15 bucks for 2 energizer batteries, I got mine a few years ago and it was 139.99(think they are 179.99 now) with a mount

I just got a millet dms2 (1-6 dot) with drops at 1,2,3,4,5 hundred yards, but I haven't shot it yet(250.00) no mount

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I bought a used Vortex Strikefire from an INGO member, using on my 9mm Carbine for Steel Challenge events, going on 3 years now without a problem. I lucked out on the batteries and got 4 packs on clearance for $5 each. I never had the issue of it turning on by itself.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have a Sparc II on one of my SBR's and love it. I also have a Bushnell TRS-25 on my Ruger 22/45 and it works perfectly. I don't think you would go wrong with either.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bought a TRS25 for handgun, found it too small to look through (seeing all the sight around the small window irked me).
    Mounted on a rifle closer to the eye it might be doable.
    But then a 30mm would be better IMHO.

So I was thinking Aimpoint.

But not sure if I was gonna like it, so bought a Primary Arms clone to test the concept.
    Seems OK, the dot intensity adj not distinct on clicks.

Saw a Sightmark that has lesser intensity adjustments, but clicks to them more solid.

The PA clone has two night vision settings, but I'll never use them.
    Figure worst case I slap it on a .22 rf for the kids.

Micro Aimpoint might be cool, but only if closer to the eye.
    The rifle I have my RDS on, cannot put a sight like that close to the eye, hence 30mm.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    I'll agree with the Aimpoint PRO. I've avoided RDS for years saying I could buy a Glock with that money or something else. It was super easy to zero and very fast on target. I have eaten my words on red dot sights.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I am giving my Bushnell TRS-25 an honest try, as much as I want to stay irons. Aimpoints are nice and I should have bought one probably, but we will see how this goes and if I love it I may up my game.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    For a range or fun gun, there are several options, my favorite would be the sparc 2 or primary arms md-ads, preferably the latter.

For a fighting gun, aimpoint variant or MRO.

I'm not a red dot snob, but I'd rather stake my life on a brand that's been in the battlefield. I have one rifle, my patrol rifle, that I will not compromise quality for price.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    The absolute cheapest I would consider is the Primary Arms Advanced Microdot with 50k hours battery life. They've obviously tried to copy the Aimpoint Micro series. Biggest issue for me personally here is the Chinese origin. If your budget allows, my personal experience with multiple different models of Aimpoint is that they are bomb proof (literally, see Daniel Defense torture test). I recently purchased 2 Trijicon MROs as well. The more I use these, the more I like them and they are quickly becoming my go-to red dot. They do have a VERY SLIGHT magnification to them. But I've used it in 3 gun and the carbine matches at ACC and I'll tell you, when the timer sounds and you get on it, you don't even notice a magnification. The large objective lens is very nice. And best part = MADE IN THE USA!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom