• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Got most of my parts in to finish my DPMS LR-308, waiting on my wood furniture and Stock hardware kit (buffer assembly) from Precision Firearms. Now looking for a decent scope that will hold up on the .308. I have a used 4X Barska to throw on it just to try the rifle out, but looking for something variable in the range of 4 to 12 or 6 x 16 - mainly for target shooting. As my aging eyes need a little more magnification and light to see well. Hoping to find something in the $100 to $200 range that will work. Don't mind used - looked at Vortex, Bushnell Banner series, Firefield, Barska etc. Wondered if some of you with more experience with these type scopes in use on .308 rifles or similar would let me know what works for you. Know I'm not going to get Leopold, Burris type quality for the money - just don't want to buy and mount a scope just to have it fail after a few 100 rounds.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Larry, I'm curious. Why build a nice long-range .308 and put on a cheap scope? I'm not trying to offend, but seriously want to know.

I ask because my next project -- after buying an M1 Garand -- is a long-range .308. I have considered everything from an LWRC REPR to a Rem 700. And each time I ask those more knowledgeable than I about scopes, I hear the same thing: Buy the best optic you can afford.

Consequently, with a strict budget for a .308 that can "reach out and touch someone" with my feelings of affection, I start with the scope that will do what I want and see what's left over for the rifle. Maybe that's bass-ackward.

I'm interested to see what recommendations you'll get. Not everybody needs a Trijicon ACOG on their ARs. Not all long-range rifles demand Swarovskis. If I can get acceptable quality and reliability in a less costly scope, then I'll have more money left over for a better rifle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The crossfire 2 and diamond back will do fine on a 308. I has a crossfire 2 on a 308 for 100ish rounds just to test. I'm not saying there is no chance of failure, but a 2000 dollar scope can fail as well. The chances are greater in your price rangw, but that's just nature of the beast. Let me know you have questions

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Larry, I'm curious. Why build a nice long-range .308 and put on a cheap scope? I'm not trying to offend, but seriously want to know.

I ask because my next project -- after buying an M1 Garand -- is a long-range .308. I have considered everything from an LWRC REPR to a Rem 700. And each time I ask those more knowledgeable than I about scopes, I hear the same thing: Buy the best optic you can afford.

Consequently, with a strict budget for a .308 that can "reach out and touch someone" with my feelings of affection, I start with the scope that will do what I want and see what's left over for the rifle. Maybe that's bass-ackward.

I'm interested to see what recommendations you'll get. Not everybody needs a Trijicon ACOG on their ARs. Not all long-range rifles demand Swarovskis. If I can get acceptable quality and reliability in a less costly scope, then I'll have more money left over for a better rifle.

That is not backwards, most rifles are more accurate than the shooter, the scope helps the shooter reach their potential.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    A while ago, and even 5 years ago, people avoided less expensive scopes because they often didn't even offer parallax adjustment, which rendered them useless for longer range centerfire rifles.

That isn't the case anymore, and there are scopes down to $200ish that I'd consider (Bushnell Elite 3200 10x).

If I was going to use a less-expensive scope on a .308, though, I'd probably lean toward a fixed power scope unless the budget was such that I could get a good (but not necessarily expensive) variable.

By the way, 10x is probably plenty for a .308. I have a 6-24 on mine and I would have much rather had a 4-16 or even a 3-12. Don't get hung up on magnification, as you won't be able to use a 20x scope unless your rifle is in a vise anyway. From a bipod with a rear bag, 12-16x is plenty for a big black target. Perhaps I'll crank mine up for shooting groups to test loads, but that's about it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A while ago, and even 5 years ago, people avoided less expensive scopes because they often didn't even offer parallax adjustment, which rendered them useless for longer range centerfire rifles.

That isn't the case anymore, and there are scopes down to $200ish that I'd consider (Bushnell Elite 3200 10x).

If I was going to use a less-expensive scope on a .308, though, I'd probably lean toward a fixed power scope unless the budget was such that I could get a good (but not necessarily expensive) variable.

Imo tracking is the biggest issue with inexpensive scopes. Personallly I will not carry a scope that does not track

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I have had good luck with Redfield scopes. Under 200 dollars and some really crystal clear glass. I have had one on my .500 S&W deer gun for three years and have not had to rezero at all.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If it can't track, you don't need it.

All of the vortex scopes I've seen (from $179 to $2,000) were great value. You can't go wrong with them. The glass is second to none in their price point.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    While I have my share of expensive scopes, to me at least, I also have a few lesser expensive models that I think do well. I own Leupold, Trigicon, Nikon, Pentax, Burris, Weaver and Bushnell. I have become more picky with scopes over the last few years b/c my eyes are getting bad and I will only buy scopes that have a quick focus eye piece and parallax adjustment if possible. I've been slowly trading/selling off scopes that I can't quickly adjust. Go to a Gander Mountain and look through all the scopes they have mounted on those little rifle stocks and you will quickly be able to tell the difference in scope quality, clarity and ease of function. Then buy somewhere else!! Lol :twocents:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well good question, I have several rifles most with relatively inexpensive optics (Bushnell- and similar) and they have served me well. This is about the 10th gun I have purchased this year + 3 as gifts for my son, and can't really justify spending the extra money for a great scope at this time. Also went to many gun shows this year - (Bought a case or two or three of ammo also :)- wife starting to frown a little). Figure I can mount a reasonable priced scope on the LR and use it on another high power rifle I have if I want a better one on the LR later. If I intended to use the rifle on an expensive hunting trip I probably would mount a Leopold.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Well good question, I have several rifles most with relatively inexpensive optics (Bushnell- and similar) and they have served me well. This is about the 10th gun I have purchased this year + 3 as gifts for my son, and can't really justify spending the extra money for a great scope at this time. Also went to many gun shows this year - (Bought a case or two or three of ammo also :)- wife starting to frown a little). Figure I can mount a reasonable priced scope on the LR and use it on another high power rifle I have if I want a better one on the LR later. If I intended to use the rifle on an expensive hunting trip I probably would mount a Leopold.

I feel your pain, Larry. Not only have I bought some guns recently, I've even bought ammo for ones I haven't even bought yet! :D

Good topic for learning. Still wanting to read more opinions about scopes ...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

im not going to get into a big debate here, but leupold is not what it was 10-15 years ago. there are so many better options in their price range. leupold does not makea bad scope, but their 1500 dollar scope is almost as good as most folks 900 dollar scopes

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Thanks for all the information. I did buy a
    Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO Rifle Scope, Dead-Hold BDC Reticle CF2-31033

Picked it up on Ebay (new) for $219 -Went to www.aaoptics.com but the site isn't up yet and I wanted to get one ordered. Now waiting on the stock & scope to try it out!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I normally deal exclusively with my lgs, but, this spring when my .458 socom comes in, I'll be hitting you up for a scope.

Top Bottom