• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Hey fellas, I know that both of these cans are new and so not too many people will have hands on experience but you never know here on INGO. Basically both of these cans are very similar, it's kind of apples to apples you could say. But if you were to buy one or the other which would you choose?

Both are so close in length, weight, price (within about $40), and both are modular.

However, I am really curious as to if any of you guys on here who made it to shot show were able to check them out... I don't think I'll buy both so please don't say that! Even if no one has shot them, I'm happy to hear what you guys think about them. I don't own a pistol can at this time, only rimfire and rifle cans. I'll also be picking up a hybrid as soon as the LGS gets them in. So what do you guys say?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have an obsidian on order. They are super nice guys at Rugged.

I like the fact that parts are interchangeable with other mfg.

The warranty is superb

The serial number is also placed on the thickest part of the can. The engineer told me that they have never had a single can they make damaged beyond repair because of SN placement. N

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have an obsidian on order. They are super nice guys at Rugged.

I like the fact that parts are interchangeable with other mfg.

The warranty is superb

The serial number is also placed on the thickest part of the can. The engineer told me that they have never had a single can they make damaged beyond repair because of SN placement. N

Yeah I am a big fan of their "no questions asked" warranty and I am super impressed by their rifle cans...

I will shoot a lot of 9mm out of it and I went to buy an Obsidian today, but after talking to my LGS I think I will have to get it off Silencer Shop. It may just be whichever comes available first... I do have the dead air 22 can though and it's fantastic! No first round pop at all, and so I was after a ghost at first.

Where did you get your obsidian??

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have a ghost on order. This will be my 3rd dead air can and soon to be 4th when I get my sandman S. For many reasons. Their attention to detail is awesome. Their background and years of experience in the business is more than most. Their innovation and high quality materials used is second to none.
    Their no questions lifetime warranty is awesome.
    dead air all the way for me. I own other brands too but I like my dead air the best. Can't wait to put some lead through the ghost.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have a ghost on order. This will be my 3rd dead air can and soon to be 4th when I get my sandman S. For many reasons. Their attention to detail is awesome. Their background and years of experience in the business is more than most. Their innovation and high quality materials used is second to none.
    dead air all the way for me. I own other brands too but I like my dead air the best. Can't wait to put some lead through the ghost.

I cannot knock you for that!
    I am somewhat new to NFA stuff, but not new enough apparently... Had dead air been around earlier I can say I would have never started on SilencerCo products for every reason you just said... Dead Air's attention to detail and many other things just draws me to their products for sure. The mask just blows me away when shot next to some other cans. I'm yet to hear a sandman, but i've heard nothing but fantastic things! They are very innovative over at dead air.

How much more wait do you think you have on it TT? I'm sure I'll go through the extra hassle when all of this 41F junk goes in to effect but I'm wanting to get another can or two purchased before then if possible.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I am somewhat new to NFA stuff, but not new enough apparently... Had dead air been around earlier I can say I would have never started on SilencerCo products for every reason you just said... Dead Air's attention to detail and many other things just draws me to their products for sure. The mask just blows me away when shot next to some other cans. I'm yet to hear a sandman, but i've heard nothing but fantastic things! They are very innovative over at dead air.

How much more wait do you think you have on it TT? I'm sure I'll go through the extra hassle when all of this 41F junk goes in to effect but I'm wanting to get another can or two purchased before then if possible.

The sandman L sounds great. I've shot it on a scar 17 and 5.56 AR. I have a mask 22 and I'll eventually get the ghost and sandman L

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    M&J has the Sico Hybrid in their store last time I was there.

as for the cans mentioned, get whichever your dealer can get.

I don't know anybody has the Obsidian in-stock, even the online dealers.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I was torn between the Hybrid, Ghost, and Obsidian. All new hard to get cans and I pulled the bandaid and papered a Hybrid cause it was in stock first and cause I was researching myself stupid. The Hybrid is a little heavier but I'm completely happy with the decision, it's quiet 45 can.

I've shot the Ghost once but it wasn't on a suppressed range so trying to quickly yank an ear plug out to hear it at the right time was difficult. The Hybrid and Ghost sounded similar but was hard to tell with all the loudness around.

That being said. .......I'm thinking about getting a Ghost too :)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'll most likely just get whatever come available first!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

thanks. Your welcome to come shoot my sandman L or S (when it comes in) whenever. Just give me a pm and we will set something up.
    i wouldn't totaly discount silencerco. I think they have several different lines that appeal to different groups. One being military or LEO and another being civilian. I think their cans are great and even the cans I'd rate for civilian use are very rugged and quiet. I also have a Hybrid46 that I bought. I'm very excited about the hybrid although after feeling the weight of it I'm convinced I will never used it for a pistol like a GLOCK unless I'm in a pinch. It's a heavy can. I mean it has to be to handle all the calibers it's rated for. I'm still very happy I got it. The decibel rating on the hybrid is basicly the same as the omega for 5.56, and also .300 blackout is very quiet too. Those are the two main calibers I will use it on. Probably mostly .300 blackout.

dead air also just announced an AK can which mimics the classic look. I'll probably break down and get one too.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I am somewhat new to NFA stuff, but not new enough apparently... Had dead air been around earlier I can say I would have never started on SilencerCo products for every reason you just said... Dead Air's attention to detail and many other things just draws me to their products for sure.

You know Mike Pappas was also one of the founders of SiCO, right? Nothing wrong with SiCo at all, very good products... I have them both (and then some), and really like them.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    thanks. Your welcome to come shoot my sandman L or S (when it comes in) whenever. Just give me a pm and we will set something up.
    i wouldn't totaly discount silencerco. I think they have several different lines that appeal to different groups. One being military or LEO and another being civilian. I think their cans are great and even the cans I'd rate for civilian use are very rugged and quiet. I also have a Hybrid46 that I bought. I'm very excited about the hybrid although after feeling the weight of it I'm convinced I will never used it for a pistol like a GLOCK unless I'm in a pinch. It's a heavy can. I mean it has to be to handle all the calibers it's rated for. I'm still very happy I got it. The decibel rating on the hybrid is basicly the same as the omega for 5.56, and also .300 blackout is very quiet too. Those are the two main calibers I will use it on. Probably mostly .300 blackout.

dead air also just announced an AK can which mimics the classic look. I'll probably break down and get one too.

I have an Omega and I am very impressed by it, it's super light weight also... I am going to pick up a hybrid because it works with the same ASR qd mounts as my Omega and use it basically as you are describing. I think I may take you up on shooting the rifle cans though! Let me know when they come in. I was kicking around the idea of an S but then having different QD mounts than my SiCo plus everything that you get with the hybrid swayed me.

Oh and I saw the AK can on Mike's Instagram the other day and checked it out... Looks like it'll be super legit!

You know Mike Pappas was also one of the founders of SiCO, right? Nothing wrong with SiCo at all, very good products... I have them both (and then some), and really like them.

Yeah, I am happy with my stuff and I did know that about Mike... Seems like a super cool guy from all of the interviews and things. I am going to stay dead air with the ghost I told the dealer, just as soon as it comes available at my LGS it'll be on order. Like I was responding to TT though it's just switching up rifle can companies just from having a bunch of different qd crap is my only qualm... Otherwise I'd guess I'd be dead air across the board at this point which is funny to say considering I haven't shot the sandman cans. It's just that when I look at the design and things I feel like it doesn't leave anything to be desired. If I fall in to some cash and or slowly over the next few year I am going to consider picking up a sandman and or some more of their products as time and funds allow.

nj4020

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    West Central Indiana

Is there a stocking dealer in Indiana? Where did you find the Dead Air Mask? Any information would be appreciated.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Dang. I'll still call to say I did, but I was hoping I could put something on hold etc. I'm between an Octane, Obsidian, and a Ghost. Its like a question with no wrong answers. I'm leaning Ghost or Obsidian now.
    Question about the wipes on the Ghost. Are they some sort of Home Depot standard like used in a form 1 can, or do they have to be a "Dead Air wipe"? I know its not needed, but I do appreciate the option. How much difference is made?
    Henry Graham of Rugged is formerly SiCo too (you guys probably knew that), but it makes me crack up on the relationships these guys must have.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I went with the Obsidian45, $645 through SilencerShop.

Give the AAC Ti-Rant 45M a closer look, too.

Yeah, I bought them both over the DA Ghost.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Just ordered an Obsidian45 through SilencerShop! I was up pretty late last night watching videos and reading reviews and pretty much came to the conclusion I would be happy with anything mentioned. I liked the Obsidian45 or the Ghost slightly more than the Octane (which was what I had my heart set on initially), or Ti-Rant. I liked modular length of the Obsidian45 and the Ghost, however sharing pistons with current equipment gave the slight nod to the Obsidian. According to my wife, I am done now... :) Thanks for all of your input!

Top Bottom