• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We in Indiana have tried most of the possible options. To me this seems best. If people did not beef about changing clocks they would be complaining about how the TV schedule is messed up, or their zoom meeting times are screwed up vs those that do change. Then there is the whole computer time issue, the Indiana non uniformity would need to be programed into every software with a time feature.
    Set meeting times and tv schedules in UTC.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    No, but how would that work? We just invent our own time zone?
    Sure. India is a half-integer (0.5, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, etc) hours difference away from GMT (fine, UTC). As their main bonus from it, that weird schedule allows them all to be on one time zone and still roughly in line with the countries around them, which is pretty cool for India IMO but wouldn't work for the US. They also skip DST along with a great number of countries in the world. There are criticisms of this even in India, but I think it's a pretty good system for a relatively narrow country.

We in Indiana have tried most of the possible options. To me this seems best. If people did not beef about changing clocks they would be complaining about how the TV schedule is messed up, or their zoom meeting times are screwed up vs those that do change. Then there is the whole computer time issue, the Indiana non uniformity would need to be programed into every software with a time feature.
    I agree. Of course, if we did it, we could try to get the rest of the country on board for a couple of years before making the actual switch. It seems like the easiest solution to me for the everyday person - Sure the people who code time zones have something to worry about, but so what, we didn't die from Y2K.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sure. India is a half-integer (0.5, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, etc) hours difference away from GMT (fine, UTC). As their main bonus from it, that weird schedule allows them all to be on one time zone and still roughly in line with the countries around them, which is pretty cool for India IMO but wouldn't work for the US. They also skip DST along with a great number of countries in the world. There are criticisms of this even in India, but I think it's a pretty good system for a relatively narrow country.

I agree. Of course, if we did it, we could try to get the rest of the country on board for a couple of years before making the actual switch. It seems like the easiest solution to me for the everyday person - Sure the people who code time zones have something to worry about, but so what, we didn't die from Y2K.
    You don’t like the later sunset relative to typical working hours? An extra hour of whatever you like to do in sunlight after work? I love it! That is why I am such a proponent of DST. Not a morning person. Besides you cannot drink alcohol all day if you do not start in the morning and I am never starting Bloody Mary’s at 4:30 with DD…

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    You don’t like the later sunset relative to typical working hours? An extra hour of whatever you like to do in sunlight after work? I love it! That is why I am such a proponent of DST. Not a morning person. Besides you cannot drink alcohol all day if you do not start in the morning and I am never starting Bloody Mary’s at 4:30 with DD…
    Not gonna lie... I hate the late sunsets of Indiana summers. I'm originally from NJ (and have 0 intention of settling down there) - I do enjoy the nice bright mornings. Early sunset on the East Coast? No problem: Boardwalk. Personally, I would hope that changing that and having 8ish PM sunsets would actually bolster some family-friendly nightlife showing up. As far as day drinking,to quote my old man "If you have to put time limits on your drinking, then you know you have a problem." :40oz:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not gonna lie... I hate the late sunsets of Indiana summers. I'm originally from NJ (and have 0 intention of settling down there) - I do enjoy the nice bright mornings. Early sunset on the East Coast? No problem: Boardwalk. Personally, I would hope that changing that and having 8ish PM sunsets would actually bolster some family-friendly nightlife showing up. As far as day drinking,to quote my old man "If you have to put time limits on your drinking, then you know you have a problem." :40oz:
    Never going to get 8ish sunsets here, unless we were on CST year round.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah, but we could get 8:30ish which would be nice. It's a little unnerving how late the sun sets here in summer - Feels like a trap.
    Over the years since we went to DST I have used that extra hour so much. I have used it when I was seriously cycling 5000 miles a year, playing golf, late business appointments, and the two years I took care of my friends small farm when he was fighting cancer. Just so much I have been able to do because it.

Top Bottom