• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    OK......When I get to set out on the deck with my spouse, and the kids are in the pool and running amok in the back yard...….at 9:00 in the evening in good light......that's a benefit. We don't do that crap in the winter. We set out there on occasion when the wind is down and the gas fireplace offers a bit of relief but that is not often.

When we can work on outdoor projects until 9:00 in good light....well, you know.

Far less time wasted. At least for us anyway. How you all spend this daylight is your business.

Take from that what you will.

My take is that you don't really care if we continue or stop the practice of switching the hour back and forth to a different winter schedule, that there's no actual benefit or enjoyment from doing so, and that you'd simply prefer to keep the daylight shifted toward the evening rather than morning when we pick a time to set it and forget it.

That's a fairly popular opinion.

What doesn't make sense is the notion that we need to continue shifting our schedules back and forth by an hour. :dunno:

There's just no good reason to keep doing that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My take is that you don't really care if we continue or stop the practice of switching the hour back and forth to a different winter schedule, that there's no actual benefit or enjoyment from doing so, and that you'd simply prefer to keep the daylight shifted toward the evening rather than morning when we pick a time to set it and forget it.

What doesn't make sense is the notion that we need to continue shifting our schedules back and forth by an hour. :dunno:

Pretty much. But I could care in the winter. Just like you said.

Don't you just hate it when you are right...:):

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

This is basically the point for me, also. I don't mind time changes; I deal with them on a weekly basis. But continually changing clocks within a given time zone is just a foolish, pointless practice.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Wait. Benefits?

What actual benefits are there to enjoy about changing everything twice per year just to have less light in the evenings for 4 winter months?

I thought you were one who preferred more light in the evenings? :scratch:

If there is some reason to perpetually keep switching everything back and forth despite the associated costs, I'd still love to hear it.

I don't believe any such reasoning or benefits exist.

:popcorn:nomnomnom

It's for the children of course! We can't have them getting on the bus at 6:00 AM in the winter in...the...dark...hhhhmmmm...uh...wait a minute. It was in there somewhere.

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!????!!! There, now I'm back on track.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Wait. Benefits?

What actual benefits are there to enjoy about changing everything twice per year just to have less light in the evenings for 4 winter months?

I thought you were one who preferred more light in the evenings? :scratch:

If there is some reason to perpetually keep switching everything back and forth despite the associated costs, I'd still love to hear it.

I don't believe any such reasoning or benefits exist.

:popcorn:nomnomnom

I have answered this question three times this go around. It is to recenter the daylight to the normal workday for the shorter winter days.

If we did not switch back for the few months the sunrise would be about 9 AM and sunset about 6:30 PM near the solstice, instead by changing back we have 8 AM sunrise and 5:30 PM sunset. Most would call this more balanced for the average family for the limited light we have.

Our summer solstice sunrise with DST is about 6:15 AM and sunset is about 9:15 PM. If we did not change in spring it would be 5:15 AM to 8:15 PM. Most families like shifting the time to get increased use of the daylight after work.

I am tired of watching Netflix, I can't wait to get an extra hour of daylight in the evening, already planning the things I need to get done next week.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've seen studies that say medical professionals see an increase in heart attacks just after switching times in either direction.
    Don't know how much validity to attribute to these studies, but that's what they say.

Unfortunately the study funding process has been so politicized I rarely trust any of them.

I can show you a study that said bacon is bad for you. Now do you believe every study?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's for the children of course! We can't have them getting on the bus at 6:00 AM in the winter in...the...dark...hhhhmmmm...uh...wait a minute. It was in there somewhere.

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!????!!! There, now I'm back on track.

Yep, can't have the chillin getting on the bus in the dark at 6 AM. Wait, our sunrise choices are 8 AM and 9AM just how will that work?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I have answered this question three times this go around. It is to recenter the daylight to the normal workday for the shorter winter days.

If we did not switch back for the few months the sunrise would be about 9 AM and sunset about 6:30 PM near the solstice, instead by changing back we have 8 AM sunrise and 5:30 PM sunset. Most would call this more balanced for the average family for the limited light we have.

Our summer solstice sunrise with DST is about 6:15 AM and sunset is about 9:15 PM. If we did not change in spring it would be 5:15 AM to 8:15 PM. Most families like shifting the time to get increased use of the daylight after work.

I am tired of watching Netflix, I can't wait to get an extra hour of daylight in the evening, already planning the things I need to get done next week.

So, you fail to come up with any benefit but just keep describing a "recentering of the daylight" as if that's somehow important (but only in the winter, because muh summertime evenin' light.)

Do any of the folks at these other sites where you discuss this topic have anything more to consider? Some actual benefit to changing all the schedules twice per year?

All I hear is yammering about summer schedule preferences here which doesn't even begin to address the biannual change silliness. If people like more daylight after work, it shouldn't matter what season it is or that it never really needs to be "centered" on anything.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

Wait wait wait. So let me get this right. In the winter, when there are less daylight hours available, we want daylight for our work hours, but in the summer, where we could have light for the work hours and the evening, we want daylight in the evenings. Is that really the argument you're using? The primary argument for switching between EST and EDT in this thread has been "we want more light in the evenings". Why does this desire for more evening light change in the winter time?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So, you fail to come up with any benefit but just keep describing a "recentering of the daylight" as if that's somehow important (but only in the winter, because muh summertime evenin' light.)

Do any of the folks at these other sites where you discuss this topic have anything more to consider? Some actual benefit to changing all the schedules twice per year?

All I hear is yammering about summer schedule preferences here which doesn't even begin to address the biannual change silliness. If people like more daylight after work, it shouldn't matter what season it is or that it never really needs to be "centered" on anything.

Cannot use logic and the public preferences, as exhibited by the passage of DST extension, to change a closed mind...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Wait wait wait. So let me get this right. In the winter, when there are less daylight hours available, we want daylight for our work hours, but in the summer, where we could have light for the work hours and the evening, we want daylight in the evenings. Is that really the argument you're using? The primary argument for switching between EST and EDT in this thread has been "we want more light in the evenings". Why does this desire for more evening light change in the winter time?

The masses do not work early mornings no matter what some of you experience in your life, the majority do not. Have you guys ever heard do compromise? My understanding is the compromise to get DSTwas to go back for the short months. But there is not a lot of solid reporting on the issue as no one cares enough to make it an important one...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    As long as we’re on Eastern time, I don’t care. Math is hard, and all my tv shows are on Eastern time. As long as I don’t have to subtract to get what time the show starts...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Compromise? IF YOU need more daylight get YOUR lazy ass out of bed.

Try that. Start there.

Oh, I get it, great!!! So we don't need to change clocks, every business that wants to get their employees more evening time with family move up their business hours, yep, get those lazy asses outta bed. Then those businesses will need to absorb the costs associated with changing their hours, likely twice a year. Some companies will not so we will have to figure out who does and doesn't. The cost of this way is much higher than society at large changing their clocks.

Just who is the lazy ass? Maybe those too lazy to change the time on a few clocks...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Oh, I get it, great!!! So we don't need to change clocks, every business that wants to get their employees more evening time with family move up their business hours, yep, get those lazy asses outta bed. Then those businesses will need to absorb the costs associated with changing their hours, likely twice a year. Some companies will not so we will have to figure out who does and doesn't. The cost of this way is much higher than society at large changing their clocks.

Just who is the lazy ass? Maybe those too lazy to change the time on a few clocks...
    Why change the clock at all? Pick a zone and stay there. I vote Eastern!p time year round all of Indiana.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I'd prefer CT since we are right next to Chicago, but would be okay with ET. Either way, just stop DST!

Top Bottom