• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1forguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    never shot one, find it hard that it would be of much practical use. Especially with the other compact guns of today available?

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    As Best I Can Remember

Curious as to why do you consider it a "bad buy"? Why did your friends dislike them?

Why would you not carry one ? Not trying to argue, just looking for examples/reasons

I wouldn't carry a Hi-Point if it was free but I'd still take the offer up! As I said earlier, this will be a truck or dresser gun.

As best I can remember, one guy told me he could not hit anything with his Davis Derringer. I believe his was a 38 also, and he told me "I don't know where the bullet goes after it leaves the barrel." This individual is a very experienced shooter. He said that Davis Derringers bring a whole new meaning to the words "belly gun". If the barrel is not touching the target (person) you will never hit it. His words, not mine.
    My other friend had something break on his the first time it was fired - one round. He had it fixed, and sold it.
    I'm an old guy now, and have made more than my share of Davis Derringer like purchases in the past. I am over that now, and wish you success with yours. As long as you never use it for self protection, they are cute conversation pieces.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    As best I can remember, one guy told me he could not hit anything with his Davis Derringer. I believe his was a 38 also, and he told me "I don't know where the bullet goes after it leaves the barrel." This individual is a very experienced shooter. He said that Davis Derringers bring a whole new meaning to the words "belly gun". If the barrel is not touching the target (person) you will never hit it. His words, not mine.
    My other friend had something break on his the first time it was fired - one round. He had it fixed, and sold it.
    I'm an old guy now, and have made more than my share of Davis Derringer like purchases in the past. I am over that now, and wish you success with yours. As long as you never use it for self protection, they are cute conversation pieces.

Thanks for the info! He is right, only useful as a belly gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I own A Rohm model 17 .38 special derringer that is much like yours. Rohm is the company that the term "Saturday Night Special" was originally coined for. People wail at what a pos zinc hand bomb these guns are. Well, mine is 44 years old and still shoots great. If mine has lasted this long how long will a nicer more modern one last?

The recoil is not like a 9mm or a .380, all snappy and stinging your hand. .38 special has a slow impulse, just a "whump" and a solid push...... No pain at all. I enjoy my gun very much. Hell, I can put it in my hat or tie it in my ponytail. It can go in my shoe, feet and all. I can completely cover it with one hand. This gun can go ANYWHERE. I have carried it under circumstances that I will never admit to in public. Just go through the list of places where you should never carry a gun and you will know the places where you can carry this gun.

You can walk around feeling like Paladin or James west, With the sneaky little derringer. I just have one thing, BE CAREFUL How you handle that gun! It's design is over 100 years old and it will go off if you don't handle it like a dangerous 100 year old gun. Use the half-cock, NEVER dryfire it. Keep it clean and lubed. (that is a daily chore, The hammer slot is wide open) AND USE A HOLSTER THAT FITS IT! (good luck there - I had to make my own)

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    It would be an excellent backpacking pocket gun for snakes and emergency signaling.

Yes! I do my fair share of hiking so this would be a perfect snake shot gun.

I own A Rohm model 17 .38 special derringer that is much like yours. Rohm is the company that the term "Saturday Night Special" was originally coined for. People wail at what a pos zinc hand bomb these guns are. Well, mine is 44 years old and still shoots great. If mine has lasted this long how long will a nicer more modern one last?

The recoil is not like a 9mm or a .380, all snappy and stinging your hand. .38 special has a slow impulse, just a "whump" and a solid push...... No pain at all. I enjoy my gun very much. Hell, I can put it in my hat or tie it in my ponytail. It can go in my shoe, feet and all. I can completely cover it with one hand. This gun can go ANYWHERE. I have carried it under circumstances that I will never admit to in public. Just go through the list of places where you should never carry a gun and you will know the places where you can carry this gun.

You can walk around feeling like Paladin or James west, With the sneaky little derringer. I just have one thing, BE CAREFUL How you handle that gun! It's design is over 100 years old and it will go off if you don't handle it like a dangerous 100 year old gun. Use the half-cock, NEVER dryfire it. Keep it clean and lubed. (that is a daily chore, The hammer slot is wide open) AND USE A HOLSTER THAT FITS IT! (good luck there - I had to make my own)

+1 ... Very well said and good advice. Thank you!

Top Bottom