• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    again just because certain companies make their barrels using the button rifling doesn't make it better than hammer forging. I am a huge Savage fan, however i would put my lowly cz hammer forged barrels up against my savage button rifled barrels any day. They are different methods of rifling a barrel however i wouldn't go as far as saying that button rifling produces a more accurate barrel than hammer forging. The high end barrel makers mostly use a button rifled barrel and i won't argue that point. Again it doesn't mean they are more accurate, could be more economical for them and thats why they do it. I am not a gun manufacturer and therefore i don't know exactly why they use the method that they do. I do however own rifles with both types of barrels and my cz's will typically outperform my savage's in the accuracy department. I won't go as far as to say thats due a certain type of rifling. I think it has more to do with the fact that CZ does more to fine tune their barrels after they are rifled (ie hand lapping). Just my :twocents: I am not looking to **** in anyone's wheatie's

Most companies don't use button rifling these days, many have gone to the cheaper hammer forging. But if hammer forging is better, name one maker of high end target barrels that use that method.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Just bought a Savage MKII FV for competition shooting from a Gunsmith in Idaho who sells guns at wholesale if you buy his accurizing package. I sent him my scope for mounting as well. He is using Weaver Rings and bore sights the scope and shoots the gun before shipping. Whole package was $446 shipped. Pretty good deal. Takes about 4 weeks to get gun, so I am still waiting. His name is Scott and his website is: savagegunsmithing.com

I'm curios on what scope you chose? I have the same model rifle, with Burris rings, and a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 scope. I have not done any ammo testing yet, which I need to do. I have been very pleased with it so far.

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    I have a 452 Varmit in 22lr and love it! You will not be disappointed at all!10 shots size of dime at 50 yards or smaller. If you do go with a CZ regular 3/8 dovetail rings will fit on it!

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I've got a 452 with a cheap BSA Sweet .22 scope and the thing is as accurate as I am am or more so. All shots touching at 50 and 1/2' groups or better at 100. I have a cheap Savage with the accutrigger and it shoots fine, but not a fan of the trigger, but thats just personal preference I guess. I bought both guns around the same time and the Savage hasn't seen use past the first range trip if that tells you anything...

dratt1957

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Crothersville,In
    I have a 10/22, now I want a real tack driver and I don't feel like tweaking my Ruger. I've narrowed it down to one of the Savage models with accutrigger, or a cz 452/453/455. Savage is cheaper, CZ's look great, which is more accurate in ya'll's experience?
    CZ by all means,I own 2 of each and the savages are not even close to as accurate
    as either CZ.and button rifling is a much quicker and easier process! THE PROOF IS IN
    THE PUDDING CZ'S are in my opinion the most accurate rifles going,especially for the
    money spent........Anschutz? twice the money accuracy better? as a matter of fact
    my 2 savages may be for sale tommorow, including my new TR if it doesn't shoot better
    today, I have shot about 500 rds so far, it likes wolf match extra best,nickle size groups
    at 50 yds. Just about every thing else i have tried shoots like crap. My CZ'S shoot every
    thing well, my american shoots federal match under 1/4" all day long, my CZ varmint is
    more finiky around 3/8" with fiochi match but does not like much else but they both will
    shoot just about anything under an inch or so.I have tried about 15 different ammo's in
    my new SAVAGE TR and with the exception of the wolf match extra,it wont shoot anything else under an INCH. The savage mako isn't any better or worse!

Last edited:

dratt1957

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Crothersville,In
    CZ by all means,I own 2 of each and the savages are not even close to as accurate
    as either CZ.and button rifling is a much quicker and easier process! THE PROOF IS IN
    THE PUDDING CZ'S are in my opinion the most accurate rifles going,especially for the
    money spent........Anschutz? twice the money accuracy better? as a matter of fact
    my 2 savages may be for sale tommorow, including my new TR if it doesn't shoot better
    today, I have shot about 500 rds so far, it likes wolf match extra best,nickle size groups
    at 50 yds. Just about every thing else i have tried shoots like crap. My CZ'S shoot every
    thing well, my american shoots federal match under 1/4" all day long, my CZ varmint is
    more finiky around 3/8" with fiochi match but does not like much else but they both will
    shoot just about anything under an inch or so.I have tried about 15 different ammo's in
    my new SAVAGE TR and with the exception of the wolf match extra,it wont shoot anything else under an INCH. The savage mako isn't any better or worse!
    well its been a bad day at the range my new savage tr 22 still shoots like crap,tried
    cci green tag, the new federal gold medal match,gold medal hv match, wolf match,
    wolf match extra, rws match, fiochi match, winchester usa, nothing would shoot under an inch, some as bad as three inch's at 50 yds.Tried polishing crown a little and
    flitz'ed barrel .Will call savage and see if they will do anything,probally lost cause because they have no accuracy guarantee.Probally wind up trading it off,shame I
    kinda like the looks and feel of the rifle.my CZ however loved them all,it just keeps
    amazing me.

Whitey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Connersville
    i have a CZ 452 and a 453 and they are the best 22 rifle for the money you can buy. i also have a anshutz that will not match the CZ. i do shoot top grade standard 22 ammo.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Using the Savage bull barrelled model my friend Dave and I both fired perfect 100-10X at 50 yards from the bench at NRA official 50 yard rifle targets our first time out.

I would go with the Savage.

Terry

dratt1957

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Crothersville,In
    well its been a bad day at the range my new savage tr 22 still shoots like crap,tried
    cci green tag, the new federal gold medal match,gold medal hv match, wolf match,
    wolf match extra, rws match, fiochi match, winchester usa, nothing would shoot under an inch, some as bad as three inch's at 50 yds.Tried polishing crown a little and
    flitz'ed barrel .Will call savage and see if they will do anything,probally lost cause because they have no accuracy guarantee.Probally wind up trading it off,shame I
    kinda like the looks and feel of the rifle.my CZ however loved them all,it just keeps
    amazing me.
    just called savage today, to see if I could assistance with my poor performing
    new savage tr tactical 22 lr, best group I could get was aprox. 1".I was told by customer service that savage 22 rifles are only expected to shoot 1-1/2" groups or less with gold medal match ammo, since my tr 22 will shoot aprox 1" with any ammo
    it was considered totally acceptable to their standards, I could send it back but if they
    could get it to shoot 1-1/2" group with gold medal match (it will barely) it would be
    returned to me after I paid the freight back. (**** POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE,****
    POOR STANDARDS,**** POOR PRODUCT) I will be trading or selling it! NO MORE SAVAGES
    FOR ME!

Last edited:

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Call back in to Savage and ask for Joe Degrandy. He is in charge of the service and repair dept and I believe that he will be able to help you. I had a similar problem with one of my Savage's recently and he went out of his way to help me. Joe is a straight shooter and an all around good guy. Give him a shot.

just called savage today, to see if I could assistance with my poor performing
    new savage tr tactical 22 lr, best group I could get was aprox. 1".I was told by customer service that savage 22 rifles are only expected to shoot 1-1/2" groups or less with gold medal match ammo, since my tr 22 will shoot aprox 1" with any ammo
    it was considered totally acceptable to their standards, I could send it back but if they
    could get it to shoot 1-1/2" group with gold medal match (it will barely) it would be
    returned to me after I paid the freight back. (**** POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE,****
    POOR STANDARDS,**** POOR PRODUCT) I will be trading or selling it! NO MORE SAVAGES
    FOR ME!

Top Bottom