• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I am beginning to warm up to the idea of a DA/SA 10mm. I like CZs but this would be a range toy and not interested in anything as costly as a CZC 97BD or really any custom. Wanting to go modestly priced used (no Bren 10s:) )

Wondering if anyone has one of the Witness steel full size 10mms who would share their impressions. I have one in 38 super and it shoots well, but I believe the 10s had slide cracking issues and don't remember if they modified the product and solved that. I would appreciate links to those issues and/or serial number ranges if the factory instituted a fix, also

Thanks for the help

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Curious as well. Have been thinking about one in 10mm

I've owned a few in 45acp and they were flawless

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have the Witness Match Pro with the polymer grips not the all steel version. I haven't had any slide issues yet but I also doubt I've shot nearly enough full power loads to see a problem develop yet. Function has been perfect so far and generally seems like a nice pistol for the price I paid. My only complaint is that the trigger could use a lot of work, I'm not sure if it needs a lot more break in or if parts and/or smithing will be necessary.

cigarman454

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    East Central, IN

I have the Tanfoglio 10mm Witness Hunter.​

Very nice and accurate pistol. The trigger is really nice and is adjustable. I'm a 1911 guy so I have high expectations for a trigger. I bought mine used with some aluminum thinner grips on it and it is actually thinner than my Les Baer with standard size VZ grips.
    Its around .050 narrower and only .090 bigger front strap to back. Which amazes me comparing a double stack 10mm to a single stack 45ACP and being so close in size. I don't know the round count on this gun I've put put 300 or 400 through it. I didn't shoot it much when first bought it because the factory recoil spring was to light to me so I ordered a 20# and it feels much better now.
    Great Gun

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks all for the info. My 38 super was used but in excellent shape, so I can't guess at the round count before I bought it but the trigger is very nice. No visible work on it, so it may just need a higher round count to smooth out

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have an all steel witness full size and compact in 10mm. Haven’t shot them a great deal but enough to know they are good guns. Pretty heavy when loaded so not very easy to carry but they soak up the recoil. I had one in 38 Super and 45 but sold them. I’d like another Super if I ever ran across one cheap. Mine were factory ported. The 10mm are standard guns with the Wonder finish. My friend has a pair of the same guns and he likes his as well.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks again, all, for the replies. I think I need one

Still interested if anyone knows anything first hand about slide cracking. It was my understanding they modified the part(s) and solved the issue, but I have no information on what serial #s should maybe be avoided

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Thanks again, all, for the replies. I think I need one

Still interested if anyone knows anything first hand about slide cracking. It was my understanding they modified the part(s) and solved the issue, but I have no information on what serial #s should maybe be avoided
    That was earlier versions with what was called a scalloped slide. Redesigned years ago.

I'm kinda fond of 10mm Tanfo's !20200918_174801.jpg20201023_182233_copy_640x456.jpg20171022_100106.jpgrimg (9).jpegrimg (7).jpeg20171009_051702-2379x1799.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had a Witness full size 10mm and regrettably, let it go. It was a nice gun but there were a couple of things that could have been better. First, when purchased, it would eject brass into the next county. That’s fine on a 9mm but 10mm brass is something that I really like to collect so I did the ejector mod which resolved that issue. The other thing was the milled front sight on mine sucked. I could have had a dovetail milled and run a normal sight but never got around to it. Also, I don’t remember the mag capacity, but I think the mags were marked as 15 rounds but I could not get more than 13 into them. If I tried to push one more round in, the springs were completely compressed and the mag walls were bulging enough to prevent loading.

I ended up selling it for something (no idea what now) but wish that I still had it in the collection. Despite the issues, it was a fun gun and had much better case support than my G20 I had at the time.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks all for sharing your experience. Having a version in 38 super had influenced me to like the gun and the information y'all have provided allows me to conclude I won't be getting a pocketful of problems if I get one in 10mm

I'm going to start looking seriously for a low mileage used one at a tolerable price

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Early EAA 10mm Wetnesses had problems jamming, something to do with the slide and magazine. I have Wetness 10mm I bought a few years ago that has 5000-6000 full house loads through it that after 400-500 rounds hasn't missed a single time going bing when I pulled the trigger. I have a S&W 1006 (IMO the best 10mm) and a 6" STI 20111 Perfect 10 and still like the EAA enough to still shot it once every month or two. Arthritis in my hands stops a lot of big caliber handgun shooting.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thank you for your input, sir. I'm leaning towards an early witness steel because I do not like the looks of the rail, so your experience is particularly valuable to me. I shoot 38 super at 1300+ out of my other witness and it has never so much as hiccuped, but 10mm is another animal all together. It is good to know they seem to be running well for those that have them

HoneyBadger2236

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2021
    Indiana
    I am beginning to warm up to the idea of a DA/SA 10mm. I like CZs but this would be a range toy and not interested in anything as costly as a CZC 97BD or really any custom. Wanting to go modestly priced used (no Bren 10s:) )

Wondering if anyone has one of the Witness steel full size 10mms who would share their impressions. I have one in 38 super and it shoots well, but I believe the 10s had slide cracking issues and don't remember if they modified the product and solved that. I would appreciate links to those issues and/or serial number ranges if the factory instituted a fix, also

Thanks for the help
    This gun was my introduction to 10mm. 5 different 10mm handguns later and this is still one of my favorites.

Top Bottom