• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • exploringspace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Hamilton cty
    I want to apply for a Curio and Relics FFL but it ask for the name and address of our Chief LEO (Indianapolis). Who is that (Sheriff/Police)? Quesions on line 14 deals with this.
    Line 14 ask me to check the boxes. The problem is I don't fully understand what they are asking for each question. I plan on abiding by all federal and local laws so I will check them. I wish they offered more detail.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I want to apply for a Curio and Relics FFL but it ask for the name and address of our Chief LEO (Indianapolis). Who is that (Sheriff/Police)? Quesions on line 14 deals with this.
    Line 14 ask me to check the boxes. The problem is I don't fully understand what they are asking for each question. I plan on abiding by all federal and local laws so I will check them. I wish they offered more detail.

14. Applicant Certification (Please read and initial each box)
    [ ]The activity to be conducted under the Federal firearms license is not prohibited by State or local law at the premises shown in Item 3. This includes compliance with zoning ordinances.
    [ ]Within 30 days after the application is approved, the activity will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of business.
    [ ]Activity will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business have been met.
    [ ]A completed copy of this form has been sent or delivered to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the locality in which the premises is located. See instruction 3.
    Name of Chief Law Enforcement Officer:
    The second one says that if there are any exceptions to the above, you will be in compliance within the first month after your license is approved.
    The third says that until the second one is true and complete, you won't do any collecting.
    Finally, the last one certifies you sent or provided a copy to the police chief or sheriff of the department that responds to your home if you call 911, and identifies who that person is and where you sent it. I would suggest getting a phone book and calling the non-emergency number for your local PD and ask them if you're in their response area or if not, whose you are in. That will tell you what to put there.

If any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

Blessings,
    Bill

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The CLEO can be the sheriff or police chief or Co. prosecutor or a judge, federal or state, with general jurisdiction in the county and some others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you live within a city proper, then it's the chief of police. Just send the copy (without money of course!). Don't use a cover letter or anything like that. Mail it, don't hand deliver it. You're not asking for permission your giving notice that you will be collecting.

Oh, and enjoy your FFL. I've had my since April and have bought six firearms so far.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If you live within a city proper, then it's the chief of police. Just send the copy (without money of course!). Don't use a cover letter or anything like that. Mail it, don't hand deliver it. You're not asking for permission your giving notice that you will be collecting.

Oh, and enjoy your FFL. I've had my since April and have bought six firearms so far.

This is federal, not state. The list includes those officials I mentioned. If he was applying for a carry license then you would be correct.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008

This is federal, not state. The list includes those officials I mentioned. If he was applying for a carry license then you would be correct.
    WTF are you babbling about?:dunno:

What JettaKnight said is correct. The BATFE requires that you notify the local chief law enforcement officer of your intent to collect.

Send your police chief (or sheriff if you live in county jurisdiction) a copy of your application. I enclose a very short cover letter essentially saying, "Here's a copy of my application, in compliance of BATFE regulation.". That's just to keep an uninformed secretary from pitching it into the round file.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I took mine over to the Sheriff's office and hand-delivered it to the clerk who handles that for him. I didn't ask permission, I simply told her I was delivering it. No risk of it being lost in the mail, no question if it got there. No muss, no fuss, either. :thumbsup:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    WTF are you babbling about?:dunno:

What JettaKnight said is correct. The BATFE requires that you notify the local chief law enforcement officer of your intent to collect.

Send your police chief (or sheriff if you live in county jurisdiction) a copy of your application. I enclose a very short cover letter essentially saying, "Here's a copy of my application, in compliance of BATFE regulation.". That's just to keep an uninformed secretary from pitching it into the round file.

What are YOU babbling about? Those are all LOCAL CLEOs under federal regulations.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I took mine over to the Sheriff's office and hand-delivered it to the clerk who handles that for him. I didn't ask permission, I simply told her I was delivering it. No risk of it being lost in the mail, no question if it got there. No muss, no fuss, either. :thumbsup:

Ah, you didn't have to go to Rusty's Place here in Fort Wayne. Not a pleasant location to go.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What are YOU babbling about? Those are all LOCAL CLEOs under federal regulations.

The OP was asking about Indy, so for there it's the Chief of Police. Elsewhere in the country those other fine office holders might be the CLEO, but not in the fair capital.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The OP was asking about Indy, so for there it's the Chief of Police. Elsewhere in the country those other fine office holders might be the CLEO, but not in the fair capital.

:rolleyes: Yes, they are. Again, this is governed by federal regulation as to who is a CLEO, not by who you submit your carry license application to under state law.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    SO I did a bit of research to see why CarmelHP insist the list for CLEO is so inclusive. It seems that there are indeed federal regulation that list these offices.

27 CFR 479.63 and 479.85

But, it states that the Director of the BATFE has deemed to them to be acceptable signatories for Class III transfers and such. It does not make any mention of FFL03 or FFL01. Furthermore, it does not state that these offices are CLEOs, just acceptable persons to sign this form.

So for the FFL03, it clearly states that the CLEO (this seems to imply a singular person) is to be provided with a copy. Since you are not required to obtain a signature, I would contend that the list of officers in the a fore mentioned list does not apply in this case.

Top Bottom