• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Bad night for troublesome critters last night. Shot a raccoon out of the bird feeder and on my way back to the front door beheaded a copperhead next to the porch. Coons I've seen a lot of over the years but this was the first copperhead I've seen outside of a zoo. Coloration was all there and after looking at the head close up I could see the slit eyes. Squeezed the head to open the mouth and out popped two quarter inch fangs. Left both varmints for the scavangers today, but if the snake is still there when I get home I may try skinning him out for a hatband. Beautiful colors and pattern, but like the raccoon, they aren't welcome.:)

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    You should have at least cut the head off and buried the snake head. With it being venomous even if it's dead and a fang punctures something, the poison will still take effect.

ASD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Southside
    Shot a raccoon today myself. Got home from work around 5:30 and there was this big sucker in the yard walking funny. With 5 smalls dogs in the household I wasn't taking any chances. 870 express solved that problem. My next ? For you guys would be what to do with the carcass? I didn't want to just leave it as I already have a coyote problem and don't want more. For now I put it in a black contractor garbage bag until I figure out what to do.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The ol lady has been feeding the neighbor's cat, they never do, and he stays outside all the time. Great disposition, shame they treat him like crap.
    Have not seen him snag any of the bunnies under my shed, so he gets a pass.

Of course now out of another neighbor's big tree, comes a raccoon (cat food a fave I reckon).
    Not too big, and he's not messing with my stuff, doesn't crap anywhere on my patio.
    So I leave him be.

Got a nice tree to live in, he can visit my place anytime, but he better maintain his residence across the fence.
    Do have yotes cruising the 'hood, so they all might become a snack for Wile E.

Oh well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The ol lady has been feeding the neighbor's cat, they never do, and he stays outside all the time. Great disposition, shame they treat him like crap.
    Have not seen him snag any of the bunnies under my shed, so he gets a pass.

Of course now out of another neighbor's big tree, comes a raccoon (cat food a fave I reckon).
    Not too big, and he's not messing with my stuff, doesn't crap anywhere on my patio.
    So I leave him be.

Got a nice tree to live in, he can visit my place anytime, but he better maintain his residence across the fence.
    Do have yotes cruising the 'hood, so they all might become a snack for Wile E.

Oh well.

I was in a similar situation years ago. It was actually quite humerus how the cats would sit there calmly and watch a coon eat their food??? The coons were no bother until they inadvertently started breaking important stuff like favorite fishing poles and then facing off with you in the night for "their food." I relocated 14 coons and a dozen opossums that year.

The word gets around in the critter community that you are a food source, then the numbers and entitlement mentality turns it into a problem. Not unlike human behavior, right?

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Shot a raccoon today myself. Got home from work around 5:30 and there was this big sucker in the yard walking funny. With 5 smalls dogs in the household I wasn't taking any chances. 870 express solved that problem. My next ? For you guys would be what to do with the carcass? I didn't want to just leave it as I already have a coyote problem and don't want more. For now I put it in a black contractor garbage bag until I figure out what to do.

Probably just a hot female searching for water since the kits are dehydrating her on hot days, watch for kits to be wandering around today. I have a guy that comes around once a week to pick up my trash bags.

85s10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Darn chipmunks seem to be taking over and eating the wife's petunias. They tend to get into things and dig they're little tunnels everywhere. Large rat traps and peanut butter takes care of some of them.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Been a few years, but Wifey blasted a raccoon off the rear patio deck, after it snarled at her. It was daytime, and old. Mange was a complement to its fur. Dug a shallow grave, tossed it in, covered it up. Foxes or Coyotes dug it up, gone. H&R 20 ga Single Sg did the deed.

Wifey is surgical with that shotgun.

shinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    johnson county
    I don't like raccoons or cats but I am more interested in the copperhead. how big was it. does anyone know when they reproduced and when their young become active. I don't live in southern Indiana, I just want to learn more about my environment. not only for me but my son. we started mountain biking some and it never hurts to learn some about things that can hurt you.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom