• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I was just sitting in class and flipping my gen. 1 0550 ( I love this knife) and got to looking at it and wiping of some fingure prints, and dust from my pocket and found a crack.

The he crack starts at the thumb stud and runs to the jimping just above the stud. Normally I wouldn't care, but on this knife, the thumb stud is the blade stop when opening. It opens against the Ti frame side. I'm guessing over time the thin piece of blade above the thumb stud will break off completely. Sorry for the crappy phone pics. Would you just keep it and not worry about or send it in?

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Well that is concerning. I would send it in for sure. Now I'm not so sure I want to get a 0560

I've had this knife for 2-3 years and have used the crap out of it. I would not hesitate to buy another one right now. I have about ten other zt knives. I wasn't bashing on zt or saying don't buy them. I just have this knife broke in and just the way I like it. If I send it in, they will give me a new one and it will need broke in again.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I've had this knife for 2-3 years and have used the crap out of it. I would not hesitate to buy another one right now. I have about ten other zt knives. I wasn't bashing on zt or saying don't buy them. I just have this knife broke in and just the way I like it. If I send it in, they will give me a new one and it will need broke in again.

I'm not sure that ZT will give you a new knife especially if you just request that the blade be replaced. When corresponding with ZT, make it clear that you want your original knife back. There is a good chance that they will replace the washers and that will change the opening smoothness.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

Ah, I get you now. From your OP I could tell the knife was used but the way it reads kinda sounds like it cracked just from flipping it a few times. A few years and a couple thousand flips and that is a bit different.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Ah, I get you now. From your OP I could tell the knife was used but the way it reads kinda sounds like it cracked just from flipping it a few times. A few years and a couple thousand flips and that is a bit different.

Shew, the flipOmeter on this knife would easily be pushing 150k-200k. I probably flip this knife a couple hundred times just watching a movie. Lol

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Unfortunately. Yes it is.

I don't think you will be getting it covered under warranty work then sir lol. even with you doing it on the wicked edge and not really heating it up that is a major modification to the knife. Maybe they will prove me wrong and take care of you but I have a feeling a change that drastic will void that awesome warranty of theirs.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. good luck either way sir

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I'm going to have to agree with grunt soldier, I didn't realize it was the 0550 that you modified to a tanto blade. I'd be surprised if ZT covers this.

Edit: I just got off the phone with a ZT rep in their warranty department. I explained that the blade had been modified to a tanto style blade. The good news is, more than likely ZT will replace the blade due to the fact that the reground blade has nothing to due with the stress crack going from the stop pins to the spine of the blade. So, based on my conversation with ZT, if you want the blade replaced, send it back for a new blade that should be covered under warranty.

Last edited:

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Thanks for taking YOUR time to make that call Brad, I appreciate it. I might as well call them and set it up to have them look at it. On the other hand, it just so happened that I traded for a 2nd gen. 0550 last week with a black blade that is begging me to make it a tanto. :D

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm going to have to agree with grunt soldier, I didn't realize it was the 0550 that you modified to a tanto blade. I'd be surprised if ZT covers this.

Edit: I just got off the phone with a ZT rep in their warranty department. I explained that the blade had been modified to a tanto style blade. The good news is, more than likely ZT will replace the blade due to the fact that the reground blade has nothing to due with the stress crack going from the stop pins to the spine of the blade. So, based on my conversation with ZT, if you want the blade replaced, send it back for a new blade that should be covered under warranty.

That is pretty impressive on their end IMO :thumbsup:. Good luck finding another knife company (not saying there isn't a few) that would back up a blade that has been majorly reground, regardless of the defect.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

Brad this is why your the man. you go above and beyond for the folks around here. I don't really care what the others say about you. Your a freaking top notch guy. I tried to rep you but it says I must spread it around. Seriously you my favorite blade pusher man!

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Kai USA has really lived up to their warranty promises from my experience. I'm sure you will have the same positive experience.

Im gonna see. I just boxed up three knives and plan to ship it off today. The ZT0550 mentioned above, a 0560 cbcf that developed horrible lock rock, and a kershaw rake with composite blade that I broke the tip off of. I know I'll have to pay $10 for the rake blade, but that's still an awesome deal.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I received a call from KAI the other day regarding the blade on my 0550, they are replacing the blade for me. :) Happy customer here. This just makes me that much more confidant in their product and and makes me think highly of their CS.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    That's awesome! That they would replace under warranty a blade that you modified says a lot about KAI.

I'm looking forward to getting my first ZT hopefully soon.

Top Bottom