• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    As someone with my entire right arm covered, sometimes you need to cover it. My company is cool with it but I leave a long sleeve button down shirt at work on a hanger by my desk. Whenever we have clients in, especially unexpected ones I put it on, even in the heat.

There's no magic answer, if you got the ink and you're job hunting, you have to wear a long sleeve shirt and "tell" them about it later. You know what they say about first impressions. they last forever.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    What I get out of these posts is that our society in general has not accepted the tattoo thing.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    What I get out of these posts is that our society in general has not accepted the tattoo thing.

Then what we need to do is have people with full body tats go sit in Starbucks, and Chili's and Sonic and walk around Home Depot buck naked demanding service and to be treated like everyone else while harassing veterans, all while filming themselves to post on Youtube later. That should advance tattoo rights. Right?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Especially females with tattoos. I will often hear people make comments about women, but those same people wouldn't even think twice about a guy having a tattoo. I have a bit of ink myself. Getting close to having a half-sleeve on one arm. I hear people say stuff, like, "Well, people shouldn't discriminate." and "I wouldn't want to work for a company like that, anyway." The person who does the hiring might be the only one in the company who frowns on tattoos and piercings. Why wouldn't you want as big of an advantage as possible? Now if you go around decorating yourself up like a clown with face tattoos and piercings that look like you fell into a tackle box, that's going to really limit your opportunities, fair or not.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I don't know. While I have no interest in them, I realize many others from all walks of life are. That's fine by me. A few days ago I went into a take out restaurant. The cashier was a good looking young woman who had a tattoo of a skull with a rose on it between her breasts. Would love to know the thought process to get that done. I have come in contact with many fine people who have tattoos, but as I said, not my cup of tea. It's sad that an otherwise qualified person would not be hired because of a tattoo, but if they will be in public contact the employer has to consider the image they want to project. Let me know what I'm missing. My grandfather traveled with carnivals and did tattoos, and my father and his siblings all had tattoos long before they were as accepted as they are now.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Then what we need to do is have people with full body tats go sit in Starbucks, and Chili's and Sonic and walk around Home Depot buck naked demanding service and to be treated like everyone else while harassing veterans, all while filming themselves to post on Youtube later. That should advance tattoo rights. Right?

OMG, this post is so full of win! Reps to you!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The corporate rule where I'm trying to get hired is 'no tattoos, no facial piercings'. I can take out my nose stud, but the tat is not as easy.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Crazy is all I can say ... I have two full sleeves of ink, its not your ink thats not gonna get you a job.... If you are qualified then its not gonna matter.... Be proud of your ink and if they don't want to hire you because of it then your better off... Their loss of a great emplyee.... Best of luck...

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Crazy is all I can say ... I have two full sleeves of ink, its not your ink thats not gonna get you a job.... If you are qualified then its not gonna matter.... Be proud of your ink and if they don't want to hire you because of it then your better off... Their loss of a great emplyee.... Best of luck...

We all talk of "situational awareness" when it comes to self defense scenarios. It's the same thing in life. Most days on my particular job are casual, on the more formal days I get dressed up, cover the ink and play the part. Entering an interview should be considered one of the more formal parts of life so I would (and have) covered them up. Just my opinion.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    The corporate rule where I'm trying to get hired is 'no tattoos, no facial piercings'. I can take out my nose stud, but the tat is not as easy.
    I have several tattoos myself, one day I hope to catch up with my wife, she has 17. Her largest goes from her left elbow up to her shoulder. We both know full well, myself being former Army, that you simply have to consider these things when you choose a Tatt. If you are applying to a Corporate Job which has a "no tattoo" policy, it only takes 1 slip up to have grounds for termination. Indiana is an At-Will employment State on top of that. Someone hears "watercooler" talk about you having a Tatt on your arm, word gets to HR, they can fire you and make up a story about it while you fight for unemployment.

Heck, I think it's bogus that employers judge me based on my beard. I spent 9 years in the Army, fought for my Country, but I can't grow my beard now? It is what it is. When I job hunt, my usual 7-8 inch beard gets trimmed down to 5/8th inch and cleaned up.

BTW, I love every single one of my wife's tattoos. I think there is nothing more attractive than a woman that has tattoos with stories behind them.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Looks like you need Lock-It Tattoo Concealer, Snapdragon. It's available at your local Sephora (I think many JC Penney's have Sephora shops in them). Kat Von D does it and it looks like it works.

Lock-It Tattoo Concealer - Kat Von D | Sephora

Tattoo%20Cover%20Up%20Kat%20Von%20D%201.jpg

I started a date with the girl on the left. Then it rained. Then I ran.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    This is no different than any other discussion that get going on here. The employer makes the rules, if you are unable to comply, or must take the risk of being caught, then those are the options at hand. I couldn't care less if people have tatts, my brother does them,but if I'm hiring you it's my way or the highway. This is just another example of why self expression won't always serve you well in your endeavors. You have the right, but employers have their too. Sorry for your dilemma.:dunno:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Since the policy us no tatoos, I guess your stuck trying to covering it up. But in thus day, I would imagine you'll not be the only one keeping one of more covered up in that office.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Here's to Hoping you still think so in 30 years. :cheers::40oz:
    It's been 14 so far.

You have achieved the status filled award for becoming politically correct.....Congrates.

Just roll it out....Bird :poop:
    lol I forgot about that emote!

I started a date with the girl on the left. Then it rained. Then I ran.

lol, I'd run for the hills if either of them were on a date with me. Anyone who can put up with drama on that scale deserves a Nobel Prize!

Top Bottom