Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this an AOW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    ARMSLIST - For Sale: AR-15 BEST BUILD EVER!!! LOOK!!! BUSHMASTER

Everybody take a good look at this ad. This AR has a ZIP attached to it. I am not for sure so I am looking for clarification: Does the zip being mounted underneath make the zip an AOW? I THOUGHT I heard one of USDS employees say that last time I was in there.

This is also indeed the best build ever. My race rifle cannot stand up to this thing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    16" barrel.

It's a rifle with a handgun screwed to it.

Are you sure? I thought you were probably correct until I went to the ZIP site and read this (emphasis is original) ZiP Frequently Asks Questions:

7. ZiP™ appears to have several modular interchangeable tops?
    Answer: Yes. ZiP™ has a unique system of rails. ZiP™ Std Rail, ZiPPic™Rail, ZiPNite™Rail (Glock style sight provisions), and **ZiPSBR™Rail (Approved Form 1 for legal use). Each rail has a purpose. The ZiPPic™ allows you to attach any type of red dot heads up display on its standard picatinny rail dimensions, and is used as the locating rail for the BattleZiP™ **SBR Survival Stock. While the **ZiPSBR™ Rail allows the ZiP Operator™ to attach ZiP™ to another platform such as a AR-15 or SCAR.
    ** Note: SBR stands for a special classification of weapon (In this case a pistol) when transformed into an SBR- or Short Barreled Rifle. As such, purchase -or- possession of a rail or a stock does not require an Approved ATF Form 1, however, USE OF THOSE COMPONENTS while in combination with ZiP™ (attached to another platform) e.g. AR-15/SCAR or BattleZiP™ SBR Stock, requires the user to satisfy two separate issues for legal use. 1) is overall length of the entire platform of 26 inches, 2) is barrel length of a minimum of 16 inches. ZiP™ has only a 5.25 inch barrel "Short barrel rifle" when attached) and so the Approved ATF Form 1 (cost $200) is required for LEGAL USE.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    BBI is correct. When the ZIP (or any other handgun) is attached to the rifle, the handgun becomes shoulder-fired and therefore is a SBR.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sniffing around on the ATF site reveals this, which further leads me to think its an SBR. It says "has *A* barrel less than 16" in length. To me that means if it it has three barrels, even if two are longer than 16" the one that is under 16" meets the criteria:

Q: What is the registered part of a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) or Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS)?

While a receiver alone may be classified as a “firearm” under the Gun Control Act (GCA), SBRs and SBSs are classified in totality under the National Firearms Act (NFA). A firearm that meets the definition of a SBR consists of a rifle that has a barrel less than 16 inches in length.

For the record, I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough on the topic for my opinion to be presented as fact. I'm just giving my own hypothesis on this.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    how would one go about aiming that atrocity? Also, did anyone call the ATF and report his idiocy?

No need to rat somebody out on something like this. If he gets caught, he gets caught. But I wouldn't go out of my way to screw over somebody over something like that. I think we can agree it's a pretty stupid law anyway. By keeping silent, it's like our own little mini jury-nullification party in here. ATF will probably find it anyway, especially now that we've linked to it and discussed it publicly on a site we know the govt watches.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No need to rat somebody out on something like this. If he gets caught, he gets caught. But I wouldn't go out of my way to screw over somebody over something like that. I think we can agree it's a pretty stupid law anyway. By keeping silent, it's like our own little mini jury-nullification party in here. ATF will probably find it anyway, especially now that we've linked to it and discussed it publicly on a site we know the govt watches.

I think you overestimate the manpower and resources of the ATF. Getting them interested in one-guy-one-gun cases isn't easy, even if the one guy is a violent gang member. I'm thinking trolling through a gun forum waiting for someone to post about a ZIP on an AR isn't really something they are in to.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I think you overestimate the manpower and resources of the ATF. Getting them interested in one-guy-one-gun cases isn't easy, even if the one guy is a violent gang member. I'm thinking trolling through a gun forum waiting for someone to post about a ZIP on an AR isn't really something they are in to.

Surely they have some bots that can do that kind of thing for them, or at least turn up specific things for somebody to check into later.

I just wouldn't want to underestimate the lengths to which the government will go to screw over a citizen.

ETA - But I do hear what you're saying. If I knew I was selling something illegally, I sure wouldn't try my luck putting it online. And I still wouldn't go tell the ATF about something like this guy's AR.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    So I'm not the only one who thought that this was freaking ridiculously high priced and hideous when I saw this today? lol

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Definitely need to report it just to be sure. We need to help the atf to reinforce unconstitutional law.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I remember seeing an ATF letter talking about a AR-15 w/a shotgun mounted on the rail... can't find it though.

Top Bottom