• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Sooner or later, he won't be from Columbus anymore. Wonder what they will rename it?

Maybe I need to use more emojis.

I understand. You're from Ohio. Buckeyes are known far and wide as serious people with a humor deficiency gene.

OTOH. I can see where you irritate the crap out of damn near everyone, so maybe you missed the FUN Foz (Just kidding. Sorta. Mebbe.). :)

Jamil....well, he got WOKE and they lack JOKE

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I understand. You're from Ohio. Buckeyes are known far and wide as serious people with a humor deficiency gene.

OTOH. I can see where you irritate the crap out of damn near everyone, so maybe you missed the FUN Foz (Just kidding. Sorta. Mebbe.). :)

Uh. First. Buckeys may be serious, I dunno really. I hope they're joking. No, what they're mostly known for? Well, let me say it this way. When the OSU library caught on fire several people perished after the power went out. They were stuck on the escalator.

About WOKE. I strive to understand it and not become it. And I'm as fond of humor as anyone on INGO. About Fos, it's not just that he seems to have taken up Kut's role of problematizing Trump/Republicans. Nothing wrong with that per se. Would be nice for the criticism to acknowledge objective reality a little more than it does.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    OSU grads make great combat infantrymen. The really klutsy ones are made Army Intelligence officers.

If they are klutzy and can't figure out Knock/Knock jokes, they send them to Wright-Patterson and give them airplanes costing zillions.

If they don't make the cut there, it's the Coast Guard.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

[Winners stick more to self-deprecation rather than pot-stirring]

OTOH. I can see where you irritate the crap out of damn near everyone,

[Wouldn't have it any other way, I keep hearing 'gotta' be me' profferred by others as justification so ima' roll with it]

so maybe you missed the FUN Foz (Just kidding. Sorta. Mebbe.). :)

[The last 'fun' foz I recall was pre-lent, when he was less passive-aggressive]

jamil is awesome, even when I disagree with him. He is a true believer that people can rise above their programming and human nature and come together to do what's best going forward. First time as tragedy, second time as farce

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    No, I think it is way too early to declare herd immunity. I believe the reduction is due to mitigation by us humans, especially the doctors and medical staff.
    Cross-posting from another thread: studies are showing that herd immunity may not be possible for COVID-19 https://english.elpais.com/society/...urce=Twitter&ssm=TW_CM_EN&#Echobox=1594042479

"The Spanish overall figure of 5% is in line with studies in other European countries that showed a prevalence of 4% to 5%, far below the rate that would provide the population with so-called herd immunity, and which experts place at 60% at the very least."

" In fact, the survey revealed that between the first and second wave of testing, 7% of subjects no longer tested positive for antibodies. Between the first and the third, this rate rose to 14%"

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Cross-posting from another thread: studies are showing that herd immunity may not be possible for COVID-19 https://english.elpais.com/society/2...box=1594042479

"The Spanish overall figure of 5% is in line with studies in other European countries that showed a prevalence of 4% to 5%, far below the rate that would provide the population with so-called herd immunity, and which experts place at 60% at the very least."

" In fact, the survey revealed that between the first and second wave of testing, 7% of subjects no longer tested positive for antibodies. Between the first and the third, this rate rose to 14%"

Is a vaccine possible then?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is a vaccine possible then?

Yes. Even if some would lose antibodies (which isn't clear given that the above survey depends completely on perfectly accurate antibody test results, and even then there is no good evidence of "reinfection" yet) a vaccine that was not effective forever in some people and may even require re-inoculation would still have the potential to drastically slow the spread.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes. Even if some would lose antibodies (which isn't clear given that the above survey depends completely on perfectly accurate antibody test results, and even then there is no good evidence of "reinfection" yet) a vaccine that was not effective forever in some people and may even require re-inoculation would still have the potential to drastically slow the spread.

If it will depend on antibodies to be effective, if those studies are correct, it would appear the vaccine would have to be taken every 2-3 months.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Cross-posting from another thread: studies are showing that herd immunity may not be possible for COVID-19 https://english.elpais.com/society/2...box=1594042479

Since an effective vaccine and herd immunity are relying on the same development of antibodies, it would seem ruling one ineffective would invalidate the other

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If it will depend on antibodies to be effective, if those studies are correct, it would appear the vaccine would have to be taken every 2-3 months.

Anything is possible, but I would not be too quick to put my faith in those studies until they have been replicated...with controlled and verified antibody testing both when first detected and when believed to have "vanished".

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Whoa boy, you'd better believe the drive by media is going to latch on to this story. They've found the COVID death that checks all the right boxes.

Young person - check
    Attended large a party - check
    At a church - check
    No mask - check
    No social distancing - check
    Given hydroxychloroquine - check
    Died - check
    Case was "discovered" by Rebekah Jones, the "data scientist" fired by the state of Florida for publicly criticizing how they were presenting COVID tracking data. - check

Get ready to see and hear this wall to wall on the news over the next few days.

A high-risk Florida teen who died from covid-19 attended a huge church party, then was given hydroxychloroquine by her parents, report says

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Whoa boy, you'd better believe the drive by media is going to latch on to this story. They've found the COVID death that checks all the right boxes.

Young person - check
    Attended large a party - check
    At a church - check
    No mask - check
    No social distancing - check
    Given hydroxychloroquine - check
    Died - check
    Case was "discovered" by Rebekah Jones, the "data scientist" fired by the state of Florida for publicly criticizing how they were presenting COVID tracking data. - check

Get ready to see and hear this wall to wall on the news over the next few days.

A high-risk Florida teen who died from covid-19 attended a huge church party, then was given hydroxychloroquine by her parents, report says

Its. One. Person. :rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm (along with everyone else, I'm sure) just so over it all. We had an outdoor visit scheduled with my 98 year old mom at her assisted living place on July 14th. We haven't seen her since mid-March. She had a doctor's appointment a couple of days ago, so her 2-week quarantine has been "reset" and now we have to wait until the 24th. It's just beyond frustrating to say the least.

DoggyMama has surgery scheduled for her neck/spine on September 2nd. She'll be in the hospital for 4 or 5 days. I have my doubts that I'll get to even be in the hospital while she's in surgery, or be able to visit her while she's in there. :( Of course it will be perfectly fine for her to come home and convalesce for 4 months, but God forbid that I come see her for a few minutes while she's in the hospital.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom