• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So. What 'I' call it doesn't matter, but what some other 'I' calls it does? Not sure how that makes sense, or is there a numerical threshold where a sufficient number of 'I's then have an effect. Sounds like racism is quantized. Who knew?

Don't you mean racists are quantified? Racism has an ever changing definition in its expression so it wouldn't be quantized or am I missing something.

I thought your thesis is expressions of racism is quantized.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Hold on a minute....I need to argue with my wife about whether a cornish hen is a chicken.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So your response is that there is no racism, that all of those 650 reports (as of two weeks ago) are false? You instead want an anecdote naming a particular person?

[Correlation without causation, unless you can cite empirical evidence connecting the persons perpetrating the 650 incidents with themselves calling it Wuhan or Chinese virus or being affected by hearing others so call it. Were any perps charged and/or questioned about their motivations? If not, how do we know their impression that people of Chinese extraction were responsible for their problems was caused by sentence construction rather than any portion of the mountains of evidence that the Chinese government is at fault and the populace may have acquiesced?]

How about Thomas Robb? He prefers the term "Chinese virus." If he has an opinion outside the norm, my knee-jerk reaction is going to be the opposite.

[One wonders if you were similarly bunched at the ChiCom official who said in Xinhua that if we weren't sufficiently nice to the CCP that they would withhold medicines and supplies and let " ...the United States would sink into the hell of a novel coronavirus epidemic." Please point me to your post that threatening to use the epidemic as a tool of state does not make that state worthy of our revulsion]

Even President Trump dropped the geographical designation, regularly just calling it the coronavirus.

I think it is worse and has some negative implications. I stated that opinion. I gave reasons why I hold that opinion. To me, worse with negative
    implications without some decent reason makes it not a valid construction; to me it's a problematic construction.

[I wish I could be more surprised at seeing the use of that word. Sigh]

When I first spoke up on the topic, I figured that people who were calling it "Wuhan flu" were doing so without malice, and I tried to indicate that. I didn't make any accusations. I certainly didn't try to
    come across as scolding anyone.

[Fail]

I said that it's better for INGO if we use the widespread terminology rather than terminology that seems to put blame on a subset of people. (A subset, by the way, who were themselves ravaged by Covid-19 and who live under government oppression that makes our current situation here seem like liberty and prosperity.) I still think that is true.

[These mental gymnastics apparently make sense to you, fine. Where you go off the rails is insisting that the way you think you should act should influence others because; reasons. Personally, I just hear SJW blather. Do you use terms like 'Syrian refugees' and if so, why? Is it accurate to simply broadly label them by their country of origin? Worse yet do you use Syrian rebels or Houthi insurgents? Then your reductio is already absurdum]

It sure seems to matter to some people here that they get to use whatever wording they want without even the slightest challenge to their thinking.

Is your blind spot so big that you can't see yourself in that last sentence? You do you, the rest of us will make our own choices. Spare us the lectures on our supposed shortcomings. Click

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom