• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://thenationalpulse.com/politics/eu-chief-scientist-resigns-coronavirus/

It is more than just an article about the head of the EU science chief resigning. It is about the complete failure of a top down vs bottom up approach.
    He went from being a supporter of the EU to despising it to the point he quit after less than 4 months on the job.

This realization will further nationalism in the EU.

Now based on what he is saying top down vs bottom up does anyone see how it relates to our response?

Take for example states vs federal. I think we are trying a more bottom up strategy(at the government level).

We tried a top down when it came to the CDC and testing though.

Anyway if you really read the article and examine what he is saying thoughtfully it applies to wide swaths of our lives.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    FYI. W4 withholding amounts have changed. Might want to look into that if you expect a refund next year.

This was bought to my attention last week and I put it in file 13.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I reworked my unfrozen caveman spreadsheet going back to 3/31 to use the average daily deaths in that time period. Those results were historically accurate to less than 5% (on average), as the 1.25x and average total increase multiplier had worse and worse error rates (approaching 6% and 10% respectively).

To me, that somewhat confirms the trend that we've been more on a linear growth rate than exponential in that time period.

That's good.

Not great, but at least good.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Still people are so ill informed they are taking cruises....sigh.

Passengers to be evacuated from Antarctic cruise ship after almost 60% test positive for coronavirus

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/americas/greg-mortimer-cruise-ship-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

I just checked multiple cruise lines. Yes,you can still go on a cruise and ships are still leaving almost daily.
    This should be stopped.
    If you take a cruise right now, you go on my stupid person list. As in, we will never ever hang out. Ever.
    Stupid should hurt

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Still people are so ill informed they are taking cruises....sigh.

Passengers to be evacuated from Antarctic cruise ship after almost 60% test positive for coronavirus

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/americas/greg-mortimer-cruise-ship-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

I just checked multiple cruise lines. Yes,you can still go on a cruise and ships are still leaving almost daily.
    This should be stopped.

Go to church, get arrested.

Go on a cruise, well.......have church on a cruise ship?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Purely anecdotal and unscientific, but does anyone else find the in.gov page's COVID-19 death numbers questionable? There are 485,640 people in Lake County. As of today there are 12 Lake County deaths per the in.gov page. I personally knew 3 people just in Crown Point (Lake Co. county seat) who died from it within the past week. How realistic is it that I personally knew 25% of the people who have died from this in Lake County?

Yeah. We are not doing very well on the communication/transparency thing.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Our hospitals are allowing 1 visitor during an end of life situation. Visitor wears PPE.

Our daughter is due to give birth to her first child in the next few weeks. She was concerned after reading stories of NYC city hospitals banning everyone but the pregnant woman, docs, and nurses from delivery rooms, a practice they promptly rolled back.

She will be giving birth at an Army hospital in Virginia. They told her she could bring the hubby in with her, but he will be staying with her for as long as she's in the hospital. If he leaves before that, he can't come back in.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Purely anecdotal and unscientific, but does anyone else find the in.gov page's COVID-19 death numbers questionable? There are 485,640 people in Lake County. As of today there are 12 Lake County deaths per the in.gov page. I personally knew 3 people just in Crown Point (Lake Co. county seat) who died from it within the past week. How realistic is it that I personally knew 25% of the people who have died from this in Lake County?

I have no idea how up-to-date they are, but what are the chances I would personally know both the first 2 confirmed cases in Lake County and the first 3 in Porter County?

Yet, that was the case. These anomalies sometimes occur.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Felony charge is uncalled for,unless he knows or thinks he has this.

It is a normalcy bias issue(fueled by media and leadership). He does not see this as a problem. So he is mocking measures taken to slow the spread. Even going as far as thinking coughing on someone because they are taking precautions is funny.

This is the kind of mentality I expected to be formed when the media and some said this was just the flu or that masks where not needed. I assure you this man is far from alone in his thinking,and his thought process was formed by the media and leaders over months. It will take time to undue the damage caused earlier and to get most to understand what this really is.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby

It is a normalcy bias issue(fueled by media and leadership). He does not see this as a problem. So he is mocking measures taken to slow the spread. Even going as far as thinking coughing on someone because they are taking precautions is funny.

This is the kind of mentality I expected to be formed when the media and some said this was just the flu or that masks where not needed. I assure you this man is far from alone in his thinking,and his thought process was formed by the media and leaders over months. It will take time to undue the damage caused earlier and to get most to understand what this really is.

Brings to mind those that spit on door nobs in China. Wonder if they were the ones burned alive in their houses.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    This falls into the category of ya think?!!! Something I mentioned back in mid February,and was understood at the government level when they set up 11 bases to house those returning from China,and using airborne precautions. 6ft is not enough(outside it may be)inside no distance is safe.

At least the messengers have stopped saying very low risk,or low risk nearly as much.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-may-spread-breathing-talking-dont-know-how-much

[h=1]Coronavirus may spread through breathing, talking — but we don't know how much[/h]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This falls into the category of ya think?!!! Something I mentioned back in mid February,and was understood at the government level when they set up 11 bases to house those returning from China,and using airborne precautions. 6ft is not enough(outside it may be)inside no distance is safe.

At least the messengers have stopped saying very low risk,or low risk nearly as much.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-may-spread-breathing-talking-dont-know-how-much

Coronavirus may spread through breathing, talking — but we don't know how much

Safe?

If you mean by that: 100% chance of not contracting it.....there is no "safe"

But "safe" was never the goal of any of these measures. Reduction in risk is.

1 foot is less risk than french kissing. 6 feet is less risk than 3 feet, etc., etc.....

The CDC (and its recommendations) are not targeted at 100% anything. They are targeted at reducing societal numbers and in that regard, the feasible 6 foot rule reduces risk from no rule, but is not 100% safe and was never promised to be.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

OK, what would the charge be if he threw a bucket of urine or smeared her face and machine with fecal material?
    In any event, it is an assault with body fluids or waste.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom