• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What cordless drill brand do you recommend?

• Total voters

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've got an 18v LI Makita drill and impact at work. They're smaller and lighter weight than my Ridgid set I have at home. I'm pretty happy with the Makita set.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I like Makitas and Milwaukees, but I bought a Skil cordless kit a few years ago, and it's an OK drill, but the batteries suck big time. One died within the first few uses, and the other is still hanging on. The drill itself is really nice, well balanced, and has decent torque.

Have not tried Ryobi tools, but have a Ryobi chainsaw (gas) that I absolutely love. Easy starting, runs great, and is comfortable to handle.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Last one I bought was a Milwaukee for about $160. I worked at AT&T at the time and the one they gave us was a DeWalt and it wasn't good for much beyond driving screws and drilling through soft wood, so I used mine. I forgot it in the truck when they canned me. : (

They have 18 volt dewalts now.... Huge step up over the old 12's, drill through mason no problem.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    They have 18 volt dewalts now.... Huge step up over the old 12's, drill through mason no problem.

I had an 18, they ran out of drills(and snips :n00b:) the week they were handed out to my group in Joliet, IL.

I didn't end up getting one until I got to my garage(really a CO)in Kankakee, and it was an 18

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    My favorite brand is Hilti but thats over your price range. I would suggest Rdigid like a few other already suggested.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    I replaced my old 14.4 DeWalt after many years of good service only because both batteries gave up at about the same time. I replaced it with an 18v DeWalt Lithum Ion partially because of the good service that the last one provided me, but also because the compact model is very comfortable to use for a long time. Yup just like a 1911.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    I'm a huge fan of the whole Bosch 18V lineup. The latest series of drills is very lightweight and has strongest in-class torque...and the impact driver is phenomenal.

I think as far as drills go, you'd be happy with any of the top tier brands (Bosch, DeWalt, Makita and Milwaukee), but I think Bosch has the best overall lineup. Just have a look at the Bosch 18V deluxe stereo.

Bosch PB360D 14.4V-18V Li-Ion Power Box 360 50W Digital Media Stereo/Radio/SAT/Charger

If you use your drill for driving much, you may want to check into the drill/impact driver combo packs. I purchased a Bosch 18V Li-Ion drill + impact driver for $160 from Lowe's.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Black & Decker, and Ryobi are owned by the same parent company, Electrolux. They all are of good quality, but DeWalt is the more expensive of the group. The only issues I've ever had is with the batteries. A new battery will run almost as much as buying a new set.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I had an 18, they ran out of drills(and snips :n00b:) the week they were handed out to my group in Joliet, IL.

I didn't end up getting one until I got to my garage(really a CO)in Kankakee, and it was an 18

I know a retiree who said back in the day they were to afraid of hand tools and made them use hand drills.....

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Like the Dewalt line, but own Black & Decker 18v.(hammer drill) Kinda heavy, wifey bought me a lithium 12v. for Father' Day. Much lighter to install screws, small projects. Batteries have always lead to the demise of my cordless drills. After 5yrs, cheaper to replace drill and batts. We'll see about the lithium model. My arms and back appreciate the weight saving.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Craftsmen can be good or not. It all depends on who makes it. Just like Kenmore. :)

There is a search engine somewhere that shows the base manufacturer. I know there were some deals on Jigsaws a while back that where Craftsmen, but just re-branded and slightly less expensive Bosch.

Home Depot's house brand (can't think of the name now...) can be a decent value for tools you won't use a lot of. I have a right angle drill that has worked great for years. But my real hard use tools are DeWalt, Ridgid, Makita, or other major makers.

Lilsoup

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I have 2 sets of Milwaukee hammer drill/ impact combos, and I will never own another brand drill. I have used one set for 3 years drilling thru wood, concreat, brick, morter, and so on, have never been let down, the other set is just for home use (got a good deal on the second set). As far as battery life, its all in how u care for your batterys, i let mine completly die before i recharge them, some batterys have a memory and if you charge them at half charge, then thats all you get is half a battery. Eeryone has there favorites, whatever brand you do buy, check the warrenty information and read if the batterys have a memory and when they should be charged.

Just my :twocents:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've had really good luck with my Porter Cable stuff. For the cost of it I can afford to replace it a couple times before I've approached the cost of the commercial Dewalt stuff.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    My next set will be Ridgid just because of the lifetime battery replacement.
    Have had too many others fail cause of batteries going dead.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Rigid does make some pretty darn good tools.

I have a 18v Ryobi set of tools in 18v and they are good for around the house but thats about it. They would never make it on a job site. I bought the weed trimmer as it used the same battery but came with a lithium. It kind of sucks as well.

Have you priced batteries at Batteries Plus?

Top Bottom