• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    He has trouble keeping things secret. He's shot before, had a safety class before, been through a shooting sports class a couple times, knows that I CC, helped me clean the guns, etc.

Sorry for not asking the question clearly.

So originally when he was much younger I simply CC'd, plus I wasn't fully aware of this forum and not real concerned about OC. As I've been reading this forum I've been teetering on thinking MAYBE he had matured enough to be able to handle it better than he has in the past. and I'm simply talking about the mindless chatter.

I'm taking the "he's just emulating those he admires" advice and I'll keep working with him on having the proper safety and respect.

Thanks for the replies.

You've gotten some good advice on properly introducing children to guns and shooting, so I'll leave that alone.

IMHO the issue isn't really a gun thing, it's a personal business/TMI thing. In addition to teaching children about guns, booze, dating, ect..., it is a good idea to teach them that certain things aren't to be talked about outside of the family. I have worked with my children since they were very young to know that we don't discuss money, travel, discipline issues, family/extended family disagreements, or personal safety issues including guns.

It is even more important to have these discussions before your children begin to text or use social media. You never want to see this on your son's Facebook page:

"Dad just got a huge bonus check so we are all leaving for Disney on Monday for two weeks. Sissy can't go cause she just got a new job working the late shift at Taco Bell. Mommy is worried about her staying by herself, but she knows Dad keeps the keys to his big gun safe in his sock drawer. She should be ok cause our cul de sac on Elm street is pretty safe. I hope I can find a Mickey Mouse pocket knife to show my friends on the school bus."

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    At 12 if he would have poked my firearm in a public place we would have went home and started chucking his stuff in the trash and leaving nothing but a mattress in his room. He would have been grounded until the day he turned 18 graduated highschool and was on his own. Then again from an early age all the children I have been around have been raisdd around firearms. My four week old daughter already has her own Cricket rifle and will be raised around firearms along with whatever siblings may come along. My 5 year old niece lives jn another town and her father does not carrh bjt she knows uncle Bubba does tk protect her and the family against bad men and that we use other firearms to hunt for food as well. She even inspects her nerf guns for loaded chambers when playing with them. Personally I would explain to him how the real world works show him some of the videos knline about how people get shot and how people carrying save lives. Maybe once he sees it he will jot think it is some joke or video game. Maybe take him to a local gun shop and let them chew on him a bit as well. If you have any police officer friends who are 2nd Ammendment friendly let them talk to him and if you have officer friends who arent 2nd friendly then never talk to them again.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    About the only time my daughter says anything about my gun is when she runs into it or hugs me on the same side I carry on. I am not all that worried about her saying something when I am CC in public as the only time I do is when i do not have the time to educate LEO on Indiana Code. Otherwise I OC. She has been around guns and started shooting at age 5 so there is not mystery or draw. They just become an ordinary tool with their specific set of rules for handling. No different than a pair of scissors.

Top Bottom