• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Years ago I had an ICO tell me there were no cottonmouths in Indiana. LIke there are no wild hogs, right.....

And years ago, that CO was wrong!

Of the 4 main general types of venomous snakes there are in the United States, they an three can be found in Indiana. Some of them more common than others. In general, though, none of them are all that common in this state.

Rattle snakes...check.
    Copperheads...check.
    Cotton mouths / water moccasins...check.
    Coral snakes...verdict still out. Wouldn't surprise me if you could find some in areas down along the Ohio River near Mt. Vernon / Evansville / Tell City

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I bet he yelled out, "It's coming right for us!" before you shot it didn't you. Clear cut case of self defense.

Amen to that! I was at Eagle Creek Park this weekend, and some of those deer were getting mighty close! Those antlers are scary, I tell you.
    I'm glad carry at the park is legal now, and I might have to bringing my .44 magnum along.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Amen to that! I was at Eagle Creek Park this weekend, and some of those deer were getting mighty close! Those antlers are scary, I tell you.
    I'm glad carry at the park is legal now, and I might have to bringing my .44 magnum along.

Don't laugh too much. I know a lady that was out working in her yard and a buck came into the yard and stomped her pretty bad. Put her in the hospital.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I understand too close for comfort in the garden, but they're protected in Indiana. Please don't post evidence of a crime.

What's protected in Indiana? Copperheads? I've never seen this listed or written anywhere....

Not trying to be a smartass, but I want to pass this along so... Could you post a reference somewhere so I've got it in black and white?

In my family, copperheads have always been shoot-on-sight.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Something I found:

All snakes in Indiana are protected by state law. Non-endangered species of snakes can be captured and killed by a landowner or tenant but no more than 4 of a species can be taken. A fishing or hunting license is required to collect or kill non-endangered species of snakes, except on land that you own or lease. Individuals with nuisance wild animal control permits from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources can also assist individuals with removing snakes. Timber rattlesnakes, Massasaugus and cottonmouths are endangered species in Indiana and can only be taken with a special permit from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, unless the snake is an immediate threat to a person's life or property. Before using any snake control measures or moving captured snakes to another area, please contact the Wildlife Conflicts Information Hotline at 1-800-893-4116.

So it looks like Copperheads are not on the list.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    DNR: Reptiles and Amphibians

All reptiles and amphibians native to Indiana are protected by law.
    Species of frogs, lizards, salamanders, snakes, toads or turtles (including box turtles) on the state or federal endangered species list may not be collected from the wild at any time.

Species specified as game animals (common snapping turtle, smooth softshell turtle, spiny softshell turtle, bullfrog and green frog) may be collected in compliance with license requirements, season dates, bag limits and legal trapping methods.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Surprising. I've lived in Indiana for 8 years, about 5 miles from the Ohio River as the crow flies. We live in the country and I fish and hunt a lot. I have never seen a copperhead, water moccasin or timber rattler up here. In my native KY, you could hardly make it out of the yard without seeing one. I guess we have an abundance of predator snakes and other critters that keep them thinned out. And, no, I'm not complaining; I'm very glad to NOT see them around:yesway:

In fact, not long ago the DNR released a nest of timber rattlers out here to populate them (note: said nest did not make it because DNR official made the mistake of telling the land owner what he was doing).

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    In fact, not long ago the DNR released a nest of timber rattlers out here to populate them (note: said nest did not make it because DNR official made the mistake of telling the land owner what he was doing).

was that in Brown Co.? I heard something about horses getting bit when they did that, or something along those lines.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I understand too close for comfort in the garden, but they're protected in Indiana. Please don't post evidence of a crime.

DNR: Reptiles and Amphibians

All reptiles and amphibians native to Indiana are protected by law.
    Species of frogs, lizards, salamanders, snakes, toads or turtles (including box turtles) on the state or federal endangered species list may not be collected from the wild at any time.

Species specified as game animals (common snapping turtle, smooth softshell turtle, spiny softshell turtle, bullfrog and green frog) may be collected in compliance with license requirements, season dates, bag limits and legal trapping methods.

Highlighted the applicable part of the code there for you......

The OP did not take this snake from the wild, he eliminated a nuisance from his private property, as is allowed by state law.

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Black helocopters and tiny parachutes is how they release snakes. The ticks were released to try to slowly control the rattle snakes though....This of course came from my Crazy Uncle's neighbor's brother who knows a high ranking official in the DNR. (sorry I didn't use purple font...but you get the idea)!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    was that in Brown Co.? I heard something about horses getting bit when they did that, or something along those lines.

I don't know about the Brown Co dump. The one's I'm referring to were dumped in Spencer Co.

I've seen several pictures of timber rattlers taken in Perry County but I've seen none out my way in Spencer County. I'm cool with keeping it that way.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Black helocopters and tiny parachutes is how they release snakes. The ticks were released to try to slowly control the rattle snakes though....This of course came from my Crazy Uncle's neighbor's brother who knows a high ranking official in the DNR. (sorry I didn't use purple font...but you get the idea)!

Your conspiracy-fu is weak. It is not many tiny parachutes, but rather one parachute for a box of them. As to the government ticks, they were not sent to control snakes but to control humans. Everyone knows this.

I really wish people would get their facts straight before they post stuff on here. Sheesh.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Why in the world would the govt want to expand the population of venomous snakes that are a danger to humans? Earlier, Illinois was doing the same crap, with taxpayer money of course.

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Your conspiracy-fu is weak. It is not many tiny parachutes, but rather one parachute for a box of them. As to the government ticks, they were not sent to control snakes but to control humans. Everyone knows this.

I really wish people would get their facts straight before they post stuff on here. Sheesh.

:ingo:Now I can say I read it on the internet:rockwoot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Anyone know if the girl who was bitten by a timber rattler in the Clark State Forrest was a result of released or re-introduced snakes? It would be interesting to see if there ever had been a release at that location.

Top Bottom