• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I’m a big fan of the 18” MK12s. They shoot like a laser beam. If it’s not going to be your only AR, I’d say go for it. For the longer ranges you’ll love the accuracy from a good barrel. I wouldn’t want to tote one around all day for a class though, they tend to be a little heavy. ARs come in all sizes for a reason.

mod 1 and mod 0
    J3wwnjM.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I’m a big fan of the 18” MK12s. They shoot like a laser beam. If it’s not going to be your only AR, I’d say go for it. For the longer ranges you’ll love the accuracy from a good barrel. I wouldn’t want to tote one around all day for a class though, they tend to be a little heavy. ARs come in all sizes for a reason.

mod 1 and mod 0
    J3wwnjM.jpg

I was looking at the Mod 0 on BCM's website today. Whoo boy. :spend:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I was looking at the Mod 0 on BCM's website today. Whoo boy. :spend:
    I didn’t know what a BCM cost, so I had to go check. I was seeing their MK12 uppers at $1229. I know it’s a lot of cash, but that’s a pretty good price. Quite a bit cheaper than PRI or High Caliber, and I have heard good things about the BCM barrels. It’s only money, and corona will kill us all anyway. :laugh:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I didn’t know what a BCM cost, so I had to go check. I was seeing their MK12 uppers at $1229. I know it’s a lot of cash, but that’s a pretty good price. Quite a bit cheaper than PRI or High Caliber, and I have heard good things about the BCM barrels. It’s only money, and corona will kill us all anyway. :laugh:

You're right. It was the MK12 I was looking at. The handguard on the rifle on the right in your photo looks similar.

Gypsy31

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Newburgh

mod 1 and mod 0
    J3wwnjM.jpg

MK12 Mod1 was my first AR. Bought the barrel from High Caliber Sales here in Indiana and gathered the rest of the parts from other sources.

ssmfcSW.jpg

If you want something with a 16" barrel and a fan of the MK12 platform, take a look at the MK12 ModH or the NSW Recce. I'm in the process of putting together a NSW Recce now.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    My 18" DD V11pro is pulling match rifle duty for the classes where it's legal, (on a new lower now, but same upper). Absolutely an 18" AR can perform very well. My DD has placed 20/20 inside a 12" circle at 600y under good conditions with handloads, and it has done several 18/20 or 19/20 inside 2 MOA at 500 and 600y, which is asking a lot from a Nato-chambered AR. Inside 300, it has done 14/20 inside one MOA more than once. (handloads).

It will shoot Winchester match 69smk ammo as sub-moa at shorter range.

For an all-purpose AR, I think the heavy-barreled 18 is about as good all around as it gets. With a 3-15 kind of optic, you have a solid 400-500y gun. With a RDS, you have reasonable speed and weight (my DD is about 10# with bipod and 3-15 optic).

I bought my DD because it was supposedly a "quality" gun but I never expected that a combat-grade AR could deliver match-grade accuracy while still running 100%.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This was an interesting read. The most interesting was this quote (Which may or may not apply here):

"One of the first things I discovered is that a 26-inch barrel is too long for the .223/5.56. Shortening the barrel increased velocity in some instances."

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/barrel-length-vs-velocity/247991

A 26" being too long only applies to certain kinds of factory loads and chambers. If you are handloading, you can see MV benefits all the way to 30" with heavy bullets and warm loads.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Once again, thanks for the replies, Gents!

But... It looks like what I was hoping to get done before this summer to avoid a panic near the elections has put me in the position of having a panic come to me instead. There won't be any new AR for me any time soon... Especially since what I had my eye on was already out of stock weeks ago.

Oh well. If I were un-rifled all together this would be a massive problem, but that's not the case. If this is how the boogaloo starts, then I'll dance with my commie guns. If not, I'll wait out the panic and be better funded in the long run. I've got my mind on an Eotech Vudu as this plan comes together, and those aren't cheap either, so.... No biggie.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Once again, thanks for the replies, Gents!

But... It looks like what I was hoping to get done before this summer to avoid a panic near the elections has put me in the position of having a panic come to me instead. There won't be any new AR for me any time soon... Especially since what I had my eye on was already out of stock weeks ago.

Oh well. If I were un-rifled all together this would be a massive problem, but that's not the case. If this is how the boogaloo starts, then I'll dance with my commie guns. If not, I'll wait out the panic and be better funded in the long run. I've got my mind on an Eotech Vudu as this plan comes together, and those aren't cheap either, so.... No biggie.
    Still some decent deals to be had out there... it's just the ammo that seems to be the problem now...I know PSA still has some of their premium models with the FN CHF barrels, and some with Geissle rails and gas blocks up for grabs.

On another note, the x39 PDW is finally together. First 5 mags ran flawlessly, albeit a bit violently recoiling, and overgassed even with Tula steel case. Ordered an H2 and H3 buffer to fiddle with it a bit.

The gas block did end up walking forward after those first 5 mags (Aero, with only the set-screws). That led to the inevitable short stroking, failures to pick up the next round, and lock back on last round fired. Really cranked the set screws down this time, so we'll see how that plays out. If it continues to be an issue, I'll pick up an adjustable gas block and have it pinned.

Only tested with two types of ammo so far- Tula FMJ, and PPU softpoints. Ate the Tula just fine, while the softpoints gave some feeding issues (CPD 28rnd mags).

Initial thoughts on the stubby flashcan- a lot less noticable blast from the shooters position, even compared to my 10.5in 5.56 with an A2 cage. Love the DD fixed sights, SB Tactical PDW brace, and Aero S-One handguard. MOE grip is ok, bit may get swapped in the future.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Still some decent deals to be had out there... it's just the ammo that seems to be the problem now...I know PSA still has some of their premium models with the FN CHF barrels, and some with Geissle rails and gas blocks up for grabs.

I'm sure that's all true, but none of it is what I've had my heart/mind set on for months or years. Plus, availability is only half the issue now. I've taken a 30% hit to my savings with the market collapsing the past few weeks, and since I do already have other rifles, the AR would have been a luxury purchase. I'm confident that the market will eventual return what it has taken, but now is a bad time to be making any luxury buys of any kind.

Plus, ya know, the $1000 cases of 223 and $100 PMAGs are just around the corner. It's a horrible time to get into the platform. We'll see what happens in a few months.

Again, if I had nothing this would be an entirely different story. I'm not letting panic buying lead me into a stupid decision (financially... not that your advice wasn't sound).

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm sure that's all true, but none of it is what I've had my heart/mind set on for months or years. Plus, availability is only half the issue now. I've taken a 30% hit to my savings with the market collapsing the past few weeks, and since I do already have other rifles, the AR would have been a luxury purchase. I'm confident that the market will eventual return what it has taken, but now is a bad time to be making any luxury buys of any kind.

Plus, ya know, the $1000 cases of 223 and $100 PMAGs are just around the corner. It's a horrible time to get into the platform. We'll see what happens in a few months.

Again, if I had nothing this would be an entirely different story. I'm not letting panic buying lead me into a stupid decision (financially... not that your advice wasn't sound).
    At this point, an AR is most certainly NOT a luxury item, as much as a life safety device.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hence the luxury argument... I ain't got looking good money, but I've got shoot someone straight in the face in surplus already. ;)

*I don't want to shoot anybody at all, but... the line is too good to refuse.
    Im a big proponent of face shooting, but I have to go with CDI as well.(Chicks Dig It). So AR’s for me and mine.;)

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Im a big proponent of face shooting, but I have to go with CDI as well.(Chicks Dig It). So AR’s for me and mine.;)

Ok... Ok... I'll mount a bayonet, use a drum, and leave the stock folded to up my tacticool level to a normal AR operator if I have to.

Curse you for making me carry around a 12lb rifle, but I'll be cool guldarnit!

Top Bottom