• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Not all of those reasons are their fault though.

Sales tax? Well, they have to pay uncle sam just like everyone else. If they paid their own sales tax you'd just see a markup in prices so that they could afford to keep their doors open.

NICS? That's something you have to do for any gun purchase (unless it's a private party sale). Again, not their fault. Government isn't tracking you but the gun shop has to cover their own ass because selling to a felon means prison time and no more business for them.

$25 FFL transfers, could be less, but even if you order your firearm online you are going to pay that transfer as well as get the NICS check. If you are using their time and service, why not pay them for it? They aren't your high school friends and they expect to be paid for their time and the use of their FFL license which costs money. If they didn't charge that fee and all of their customers bought online at a lower price than them, guess what, they go out of business because they can't pay the bills. Not a single FFL is going to give you a free transfer nor should they. They don't owe you anything and they aren't the ones taking up your time. If you want to buy online, pay the fee, otherwise you won't be buying any firearms online because you can't get a transfer because noone will be able to afford to keep their FFL.

As for the rest, it is their job to keep their inventory up and maybe even order whatever you want if they don't have it. IMO, customer service is what will keep a person coming back. While I expect to be treated like a valued customer even if it's my first time walking into the store, I don't expect them to face prison time and lose their entire life by not following the law. If you don't want an NICS check then I'd say buy used through private party sales. If you don't want to pay sales tax then purchase online (still going to have the transfer fee). As far as the LGS employees go, in one ear and out the other.

^^^ THIS ^^^

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I don't care to much for my "local" gun shops, but I do drive an hour each way to bradis when I'm buying something new. The couple small local shops around me have pretty inflated prices so I end up saving cash going to bradis or plainfield shooter supply (I know, not much love for bob on here)

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    You might be surprised at what kind of deal you can get if you establish a long-term relationship with a local FFL. No, you're not going to avoid NICS, but a dealer will work pricing if you are going to commit to some volume relationship.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Since I know what I need and am only going there to grab it and pay for it, rarely is there a reason to warrant paying $150-200+ "fees."

I don't need someone's opinions.
    I don't need convinced to buy something else because you don't have/carry what I want.
    I don't want to spend my whole day driving to shops only to find out no one has it or will have it.
    I don't want to be told that it can be ordered for me when I can order it myself and not have to pay additional fees.

Hey it's not their fault, but that doesn't make me a bad person for going the route I can afford.

You might be surprised at what kind of deal you can get if you establish a long-term relationship with a local FFL. No, you're not going to avoid NICS, but a dealer will work pricing if you are going to commit to some volume relationship.

You'd think that.

One LGS me and all of my relatives have used for the past 15 years, and regularly bought from them. The best they can swing on deals for me is still well above what I can get the item for generally.

Of course that's over the past 2 years. 5 years ago and further, yes they could top practically anything.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If they have what I want I will buy it there. If they can get it at a competitive price I will buy it there. If not, well, I get what I want where I can.

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    I really like to purchase from the LGS. However, I do have to agree that I can usually find it for less elsewhere. I am in the market for something new and will talk with the LGS to see if they can get their price more towards what I can do elsewhere. I do like the idea of supporting the local economy but not at the cost of $40 or more. Today every little bit counts.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I pass 4 -5 shops to go to Bradis. As Chuubs as SSGSAD previously stated. They have a very good selection and everyone there is always friendly, willing to help and never pressure you or make you feel less than smart. i was there Sat debating between 2 firearms. The young man who was helping me( I'm sorry I am blanking out on his name.) could have sold me another model for an additional $400 but explained the differences between the two I was going between. I walked out with a FNX 45.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I am guessing the ffl fees being complained about are referring to online transactions from out of state purchases?
    how many NEW firearms get purchased ftf though individuals? :dunno:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    The guys at USDS have a very good knowledge base and transfer for $15. I would rather pay a little more and have someone behind the counter that understands customer service. I understand buying online under certain circumstances but there's so much more you end up getting with your local guy. An online company isn't going to order something special for you or invest in a range for you to shoot on, so I'm going with the local guy that shakes my hand and has a real smile on his face when I walk in.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member~~ [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&amp] ~~[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] ~~[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Most of'em.......is like Harley dealers....:):......they in bizz,ta make $$.......an' they ALL......high'rn a girraffes ear......:rolleyes:
    Way better off find'n somthin' ya want from a individual.......:twocents:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    When I first joined INGO, I bought into the "buy local" mantra that was being preached here.... but ... the free market and the laws of supply and demand were supposed to be a two way street.

When demand was normal and supply was high, I had no problems rewarding my LGS by paying a little extra for their competitive priced firearms... but as soon as demand went high, and supply went low... they didn't return the favor and therefore I learned a valuable lesson in economics. As a consumer its ok to look for the best deal available. Actually, one could argue that it is your duty... because you can bet that many LGS's will be looking to make the most money they can when the opportunity arises.

I used to look at my LGS first... but now I am not ashamed to say that Walmart and kygunco.com are my go to spots for guns and ammo.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am having trouble justifying buying from local gun shops anymore because:

1. inconsistent, small inventories.
    2. sales tax (a biggie)
    3. always having to go through NICS (having my purchases tracked)
    4. inexpensive and fast shipping options from online retailers.
    5. $25 FFL transfers.
    6. Many "cooler and smarter than you" LGS employees.
    7. Ease of finding used, like new and below MSRP options through INGO, Armslist, etc.

Anyone else struggling with this?

That looks to me like a list of the top 7 things local gun stores struggle with themselves. You brought up some good points.

The stores I see doing the best are ones that differentiate themselves in one or more of these ways:

• BIG inventory
    • Reduced rate transfers
    • Well-trained, knowledgeable, and friendly staff
    • Exclusive, unique, or specialized product lines
    • Shooting range
    • Strong social media presence (INGO, FB, Twitter, etc)
    • Loyal customer base

I don't envy the local stores in their quest to capture some market share. It's an uphill battle for them.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    It sucks to be in retail these days. They had it best when they had us by the balls, for sure. The internet, like mail order catalogs before it, put a stop to that.

There are still LGS that have competitive pricing, and I appreciate that by buying from them. If I go to a LGS and their prices are high, im sorry, but my money goes elsewhere.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I rarely buy new, and rarely walk into LGS. I buy and sell in the private sector. I have gotten some decent deals on firearms that are "like new" for less than retail and no sales tax to pay.
    Paying Tax in general *****s me off.
    The Revolution was fought over a 2% tax increase on tea. When will we step up as a country? And stop paying higher taxes than what we need to? Our country is grossly mismanaged.
    Sorry for the rant/thread jack. Just a hot button with me.
    Something like 98% (yeah, I made that up but it's probably accurate) of the people in this country are on the government's teat one way or another. It ain't ever gonna happen.

Top Bottom