• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am having trouble justifying buying guns and firearm accessories from any LGS.

On average, I would say that I purchase a new gun about every other month. That is about six per year. Now, I am not a high-end buyer, but I do regularly buy guns valued at $300-700. Additionally, I am always buying "extras" for my guns (bipods, laser/flashlights, stocks, mags, etc.).

Typically, I am a "support local" kinda guy. However, for the following reasons, I am having trouble justifying buying from local gun shops anymore because:

1. inconsistent, small inventories.
    2. sales tax (a biggie)
    3. always having to go through NICS (having my purchases tracked)
    4. inexpensive and fast shipping options from online retailers.
    5. $25 FFL transfers.
    6. Many "cooler and smarter than you" LGS employees.
    7. Ease of finding used, like new and below MSRP options through INGO, Armslist, etc.

Anyone else struggling with this?

Chip

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I stopped using my LGS for similar reasons. Often times I would stop in and then help him out with a customer, selling probably 5-10 year for him. I would take pictures of certain guns and help him out by advertising them on specific forum for that type of guns. It was always friendly and I was glad to do it. But when he started charging me $35 for transfers, and almost $1,000 for a HK P30, I realized this was a one way street. I haven't been back in almost two years. That's a lot of business that he lost.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    LGS -
    Handle before you buy. Verify condition, accessories, etc.
    Shipping + FFL transfer is roughly equivalent to sales tax on a $500 gun.
    You still have to go thru the NICS when you do the transfer.
    Money stays local.

Most LGS employees are OK, although there definitely are exceptions.

If you can get it locally, there's no point in buying mail order.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Due to the nature of my interests (old milsurp guns), I don't always find things that interest me in local shops, but I certainly have before. I rarely buy new, but again, I have before, and then it's usually been from a local shop. To me, the LGS is just another option, not the only option. I do like to support small businesses, but I still look for deals. I'm not likely to pay double for something just to support my LGS, but if something is a buck or two higher, then that's not a problem. I have my C&R license too, so when it comes to ordering milsurp rifles online or from auction sites, I don't have to worry about a transfer fee, and even if buying a C&R firearm from a shop, I can bypass the NICS call, but have to record the gun in my bound book.

Last edited:

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Please don't tell me that you are admitting to not paying a state sales tax for your online, or personal purchases? :ugh:

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Please don't tell me that you are admitting to not paying a state sales tax for your online, or personal purchases? :ugh:

Ever sold anything? Had a garage sale? Did you claim it as income? Of course I don't expect you to admit to it online, but you see my point...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Sounded like he was talking about FTF private transaction. In that case, sales tax is not a factor. Now internet purchase, yes, sales tax should be reported when doing your income taxes.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    LGS are good for some things, not good for others.

No shops in central Indiana carry much inventory on anything, guns or components or gear. Ammunition is the only exception. We don't have the market that will support it.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I am having trouble justifying buying guns and firearm accessories from any LGS.

On average, I would say that I purchase a new gun about every other month. That is about six per year. Now, I am not a high-end buyer, but I do regularly buy guns valued at $300-700. Additionally, I am always buying "extras" for my guns (bipods, laser/flashlights, stocks, mags, etc.).

Typically, I am a "support local" kinda guy. However, for the following reasons, I am having trouble justifying buying from local gun shops anymore because:

2. sales tax (a biggie)
    5. $25 FFL transfers.
    7. Ease of finding used, like new and below MSRP options through INGO, Armslist, etc.

Not all of those reasons are their fault though.

Sales tax? Well, they have to pay uncle sam just like everyone else. If they paid their own sales tax you'd just see a markup in prices so that they could afford to keep their doors open.

NICS? That's something you have to do for any gun purchase (unless it's a private party sale). Again, not their fault. Government isn't tracking you but the gun shop has to cover their own ass because selling to a felon means prison time and no more business for them.

$25 FFL transfers, could be less, but even if you order your firearm online you are going to pay that transfer as well as get the NICS check. If you are using their time and service, why not pay them for it? They aren't your high school friends and they expect to be paid for their time and the use of their FFL license which costs money. If they didn't charge that fee and all of their customers bought online at a lower price than them, guess what, they go out of business because they can't pay the bills. Not a single FFL is going to give you a free transfer nor should they. They don't owe you anything and they aren't the ones taking up your time. If you want to buy online, pay the fee, otherwise you won't be buying any firearms online because you can't get a transfer because noone will be able to afford to keep their FFL.

As for the rest, it is their job to keep their inventory up and maybe even order whatever you want if they don't have it. IMO, customer service is what will keep a person coming back. While I expect to be treated like a valued customer even if it's my first time walking into the store, I don't expect them to face prison time and lose their entire life by not following the law. If you don't want an NICS check then I'd say buy used through private party sales. If you don't want to pay sales tax then purchase online (still going to have the transfer fee). As far as the LGS employees go, in one ear and out the other.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I almost always buy new. Every now and then I'll see something used I like. I have a couple LGS that I buy from, and since I've started buying higher end 1911's they treat me better then I deserve! I don't mind paying a little extra for exactly what I want.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

2. sales tax (a biggie)
    5. $25 FFL transfers.

So sounds like you are talking switching to all private transactions instead of a shop? If that is your interest and you are finding good prices then nothing wrong with that. I'd say it sounds like you may want to find another LGS as an option though. Always good to have a go to shop in case you can't find something you are looking for in a private transaction.

I've sold a few things here and there on INGO, but haven't really bought much. Seems like those things I have interest in go quick when there is a decent price on it (especially by the time I look at the person's feedback, etc) , or it is just not close to me, so I generally end up at one of my LGS for actual firearms purchase. I am not opposed to going the online route if I find a price that just can't be touched locally (not usually the situation). Now, accessories and ammo go to the vendor with the lowest price that is reputable. Sometimes that is online and sometimes it is local.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Sounded like he was talking about FTF private transaction. In that case, sales tax is not a factor. Now internet purchase, yes, sales tax should be reported when doing your income taxes.

yes I was referring to online purchases from a out of state retailer.

Steell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 10, 2013
    Eaton
    yes I was referring to online purchases from a out of state retailer.

In that case it still has to be shipped to an FFL, the transfer fee must be paid, and the NICS done.

It would be crazy to try andf shortcut that, it would gain you little and could cost an awful lot.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I rarely buy new, and rarely walk into LGS. I buy and sell in the private sector. I have gotten some decent deals on firearms that are "like new" for less than retail and no sales tax to pay.
    Paying Tax in general *****s me off.
    The Revolution was fought over a 2% tax increase on tea. When will we step up as a country? And stop paying higher taxes than what we need to? Our country is grossly mismanaged.
    Sorry for the rant/thread jack. Just a hot button with me.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Personally do my business with LGS when possible, BUT will shop for best deal. If savings are >10% by going elsewhere I will probably do so. Of course a lot depends on what I am looking for. Have to admit the LGS that I frequent the most has pretty good pricing on firearms (at least handguns ... not checked out the long guns). Their selection is very good. It is the accessories that are significantly higher than other options. For FFL I use a different LGS. Save ~$15 for <5 miles of extra drive.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

2. sales tax (a biggie)
    5. $25 FFL transfers.

I don't have any of the above "problems"... that you speak of ..... I just go to Bradis, and Mark, and all the guys there KNOW what there talking about, and the rest of it, I have been putting up with all my life..... Whats the diff ?????

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom