Concealed carry or open carry, what is your preference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    CC most of the time, though OC in fields, rural areas, range trips, etc.

I was in Ken's Barbershop a few weeks ago and when the guy ahead of me got up out of the chair I saw he was OCing. Man, I was comforted when I saw that. Wish I saw more people OCing, at least outside of town....

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I normally CC. I agree with having the element of surprise.

I do OC around the house or when working outside. To hell with a cover garment when working in the heat. Sometimes I do OC if I'm going to the local quickie mart for something real quick.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    CC most of the time, though OC in fields, rural areas, range trips, etc.

I was in Ken's Barbershop a few weeks ago and when the guy ahead of me got up out of the chair I saw he was OCing. Man, I was comforted when I saw that. Wish I saw more people OCing, at least outside of town....

If you had said John's Barber Shop in South Bend, it would have been me. I walk in carrying concealed, hang up my coat, and Surprise! I'm OCing. John doesn't mind. He's a good guy.

I can normally be found there between 8-8:30 on Monday mornings.

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    cc

I closed carry 90% of the time with my glock 27. Mostly because my fiancee would give me hell for walking around oc. When Im not with her and out and about I OC all the time. Nobody says anything, I don't give them a chance too. When I open carry I use a serpa holster with a glock 35. I usually just wear a large button shirt open untucked too so people really never see it (nor does my fiancee, silly woman). I prefer to open carry though.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Didn't feel like reading it all... :):

I prefer OC to CC but I carry both ways about the same and I'm NEVER without it.

I prefer OC because it shows the sheeple that we are out there. I don't care much if the BG knows I carry or not. It will go one of two ways. He'll see it and pick someone else, or he'll be more sly and take me out first. I wouldn't say I'm paranoid, but I"m more aware of my surroundings than most people. Maybe not on here, but most people.

I CC times when I know I'm going to be in a bad neighborhood or if I'm around family member who are more liberal than my own mother....

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    Concealed is so much better in the way of not having anyone get scared or anyone with the wrong intentions try to take the pistol.

cowboys open carry, gentlemen do not.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Concealed is so much better in the way of not having anyone get scared or anyone with the wrong intentions try to take the pistol.

cowboys open carry, gentlemen do not.

I'm in no way shape or form intending to have some "cowboy" attitude by OCing. If I happen to scare someone, and see them scared, that's ample opportunity to educate someone. I don't mind the idea of MWG calls on me either. Then the officer gets to do it for me. Educate that is.

Also, if the BG can get to my gun before me, I was slippin hard and not paying attention. That's rare for me. It does happen, but still.

No, more people should OC. If we don't start doing it, they will outlaw it. Or make a separate permit to do such.

mack-diane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Although it is a choice, for now anyway, setting a positive example when carrying is vital to keeping and maintaining the privilage.
    Being aware and acting resposible are always good rules to follow, and if educating others is not your thing then please remember no one goes it alone and lasts for very long. For us to continue to have the privilage to carry we must continue to educate ouselves and others. We must be vigilante. If we get lazy then those who live there lives in fear and ignorance will take away that which has been won through those who were willing to educate.
    Just a thought...

Last edited:

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    SE, I understand you side of the issue, but most people that see open carry quickly close their minds to even talking about it.

I have a friend that i cant even twist the arm of to even watch or talk about someone shooting.

its rough to change someones mind if its closed.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    SE, I understand you side of the issue, but most people that see open carry quickly close their minds to even talking about it.

I have a friend that i cant even twist the arm of to even watch or talk about someone shooting.

its rough to change someones mind if its closed.

But you don't know if their mind is closed. If they ask you about it, then their mind is open. If they're afraid, they'll just walk away.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I'm in no way shape or form intending to have some "cowboy" attitude by OCing. If I happen to scare someone, and see them scared, that's ample opportunity to educate someone. I don't mind the idea of MWG calls on me either. Then the officer gets to do it for me. Educate that is.

Also, if the BG can get to my gun before me, I was slippin hard and not paying attention. That's rare for me. It does happen, but still.

No, more people should OC. If we don't start doing it, they will outlaw it. Or make a separate permit to do such.
    :+1: and as far as OC = a "cowboy attitude" thats a load of :poop: why would anyone dog on anyone else (especially a fellow gunowner) for there exercising rights is just beond me :patriot:Who realy care how anyone eslse carries as long as they do ! And be happy we still can carry ( for now )

Top Bottom