• Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    This is not an ad, more of a "what say you?"

I'm wanting to sell my complete reloading set up. We are talking everything....presses, dies, plates, brass, primers, powder, books.....EVERYTHING.

My question is this:

How close to retail does this stuff resell for? Does it hold its value?

My goal is to sell it all in one lot. I don't want to do onesy twosy stuff, which means I'd be willing to lower the prices in order to do just that.

I'd take all the advice I can get! Thanks in advance INGO!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Personally,
    I'd make a long list of everything you have, and layout what the price to replace it with new would be today. Then, I'd take that times 50% if you want to sell everything as one big package. The reason I say 50%, is because most folks won't want every piece you're trying to sell, so they're going to be thinking "if I buy the whole package I can sell XYZ for enough to offset the things they do want". If you want want top dollar you sell everything individually maybe at 60%-70%, or as a package for half of whatever it sells for today.

Part of this is based on what exactly you've got. If you've got the less expensive end of the scale equipment then you'll probably get less, if you've got high end stuff then you may get a little more for it. For example, I'd pay more for a 2 year old used Dillon than a 20 year old lyman.

Good luck.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's worth exactly what someone is willing to give, at any given time.
    Not one penny more or less.

I'm a cheap-skate.
    I will never pay top dollar if I can ferret out a better deal.
    The last press I bought was a used Bonanza coaxial press. I bought it at an auction where there were MANY Dillon and Lyman presses.
    I paid $35 for the Bonanza, in great shape.
    It should have gone for more like $175-$200.

The larger your setup, the harder it is going to be to sell as a package, and still get what you want from the deal.
    I wish you luck.

canebreaker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I'm cheap too.
    Back when ebay was a bid only site I paid 20 to 50% of retail plus shipping for the things I wanted. Now things are buy it now, usually at retail, some have free shipping.
    Craigslist was good when gun related items were offered. Now it's commercial items.
    Marketplace sometimes is good, gun related items listed as tools.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Ive done well buying reloading equip here and on Facebook, the last two Dillon 650's I bought were under 600 bucks with case feeders and at least one conversion with each. One did show up missing a set of carbide Dillon pistol dies, but thats life.

Edit,
    Good Luck on doing well with your sales.
    Hopefully you will post it here first.
    I will certainly look depending on the color of your machines, what dies, bullets and powder you put up for sale.

Last edited:

Reale1741

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    My experience with selling reloading equipment has been met with mixed feelings. I bought the entire contents of a closed reloading shop. All was new stuff. Presses, dies, powder, bullets, accessories, etc. I had everything priced at around 50% of retail and it took a long time to sell. I still have a lot of it. Some of it went fast, like the popular powders, dies and bullets. The other stuff just sat on the table with people barely looking at it. Probably 75% of what I sold was on forums and groups, while the rest was at flea markets and gun shows. Point is, don't be disappointed if you price it at what you think is a good price and no one bites. You might have to break it up and sell stuff separately to get closer to what you want out of it.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    It’s tough to sell the whole shebang at once. As you have probably experienced, many reloaders start out with the basics and probably cheaper stuff. They upgrade a scale or a press or a powder measure one piece at a time. So, if they decide they do want to go and get better quality stuff, they probably already have some of it. So, if they buy your whole setup, they will have duplicates of some stuff. Some things it’s fine to have extras of, but some are just wasted. That being said, they won’t want to pay fair value for stuff they don’t need and will either have as extras or just laying around. Now, in the long run, if someone has the money, buying a full setup of quality gear is a much better way to go, but most folk don’t start out that way. Then there’s the factor fo totally in needed stuff. If a guy wants to load 9mm and 38 special, he’s got no interest in a set of 243 dies or a trimmer or powder trickler or lube pads, etc etc etc.

I guess I’d follow the above advice. Figure how what you have in it, or what current replacement cost is and go for maybe 60=80% of that and give yourself an honest assessment of just how low you will go or how long you want to hang onto it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm considering getting out of loading myself. It would be so much simpler to sell in 1 package, but there very few people who would want (be willing to drop the coin) everything I have. If I decide to go for it, I will list things individually. Components at just shy of internet price, equipment at 20-30% of internet price. Then offer possible bulk discounts

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The bigger the package the less likely you will be to get a high percentage of retail.

The fact that you are even bringing up the word "retail" for used equipment is concerning for the buyer. If we wanted to pay anywhere near retail pricing, we'd shop for clearance and loss leader sales from outfits that would ship the product to our home for free.

Personally, I'd separate the bigger components from the smaller batch stuff. And certainly sell the ammo components as their own group, unless you are using their value to entice a buyer for the whole package.

It's kind of like selling your gucci pistol or rifle. Unless you fire sale price it, you'll be bumping for months, until you finally take someone's offer who has watched for long enough for you to learn your way on the value. Folks are looking to pay for the gun alone. You should sell the additions and mods separately for your best return.

:twocents:

LokhXIV

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I usually don't bite on used equipment until it gets down around 50% of new price. If I'm gonna be paying even remotely close to new, I'd rather just go that route. I know exactly how it's been used and maintained, plus if I have issues I've got a company to reach out to for support.

I'd split it up into groups:
    Consumable items will sell quickly.
    General use tools will sell next.
    Press and caliber specific tools will be slower.
    Presses themselves and niche tools will be the hardest to sell unless you give them away.

You'll get the most return that way, but it'll be slower. Or offer the whole thing for a price too good to pass up and even people who don't need it will bite.

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    If you are selling a whole kit/bundle, maybe 50-60%. If you piece it out, maybe higher for each piece. I bought out 2 reloading set ups at 50% many years ago. I have souble of some pieces, but I'm set for life.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I disagree with nobody wants it all. When I started reloading if I could have gotten everything in 1 shot at a substantial savings I would have been all in as long as the press is something I would have been interested in to start

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I disagree with nobody wants it all. When I started reloading if I could have gotten everything in 1 shot at a substantial savings I would have been all in as long as the press is something I would have been interested in to start
    I don't believe anyone said " no one" would be interested in the whole package.
    Point being that demographic is going to be much smaller than people looking for individual parts/ tools.

LokhXIV

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I disagree sir,if it's Dillon Blue and priced reasonable, it will usually sell in hours or a day or two.
    I agree. I just meant there will be less people looking for a press rather than components. Personally, I have no interest in buying another press at the moment, but I can always use more bullets, powder, primers, or brass. Now if he was basically giving the press away I would buy it just because I can't pass up a deal that good lol.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think it's similar to trying to sell a used rifle with a scope. Everyone has their own opinion of what scope matches whatever rifle for whatever they plan to use it for. With reloading, I think the most common approach is to start small and build up as you go. That's just my opinion, but the rcbs rock chucker kits still sells for a reason.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Presses themselves and niche tools will be the hardest to sell unless you give them away...

For years I wanted a Forster Co Ax for load development and precision work.

A couple come and went in the INGO classifieds. I had waited for the sellers to drop the prices, but the presses sold for higher asking prices pretty quick.

A couple years back, a local buddy on INGO put up a Co Ax for sale. I was happy to see the WTS add soon after posting and got my press. Paid a lot closer to retail than I would normally consider.

LokhXIV

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    A couple years back, a local buddy on INGO put up a Co Ax for sale. I was happy to see the WTS add soon after posting and got my press. Paid a lot closer to retail than I would normally consider.
    Out of curiosity, did you pay closer to retail because it was a buddy, or just because you were tired of waiting for a better deal to pop up? If you don't mind me asking, that is.

Top Bottom