• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Businessend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    North side
    Anybody use Magna-port these days? In the past I know they were the go to. My brother had a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag Magna-ported and I remember it working very well. Anyone use them for a semi auto?
    I just got my 2.5" python back from magna port, and I love it. But I also love my Sig 320 with the Herrington Arms comp. overall, it makes follow-up shots faster, and I kinda think that if some people can't handle some stuff blowing near your face during retention shooting, you may not need to be carrying a gun anyway.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I vote for neither, if the gun is to be used as a carry/defense tool. A compensator will make a relatively large handgun that much larger/longer. Both compensator and porting have the potential to give you a face full of hot gases and burning powder when fired from any kind of retention position. If that doesn't ruin your day, your attacker will.
    Not to mention having 'a real bright light' blinding flash if shooting in low / no light situation with a ported pistol...
    Much less have small bits of debris eject that can impact your face and potentially negatively affect your eyesight!
    Me, personally, I'll pass on both compensated and ported pistols for EDC...to each their own!

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Not to mention 'a real bright light' blinding flash if shooting in low / no light situation with a ported pistol...much less eject small bits of debris that can impact your face and potentially negatively affect your eyesight!
    I will give glock a fist bump, I have two early gen 3 compensated pistols.
    I have a 19C and a 23C, and what has never happened, is anything blown in my face when shooting them.
    And the flash at low-light and at night is so fast, your eyes don't notice it happening. Lots of internet lore with all of it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not to mention having 'a real bright light' blinding flash if shooting in low / no light situation with a ported pistol...
    Much less have small bits of debris eject that can impact your face and potentially negatively affect your eyesight!
    Me, personally, I'll pass on both compensated and ported pistols for EDC...to each their own!
    I have shot comped pistols in low light and had no issues with excessive flash. As a matter of fact I asked others around if they noticed anything unusual and they responded; No, why? Ported I think it depends.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have shot comped pistols in low light and had no issues with excessive flash. As a matter of fact I asked others around if they noticed anything unusual and they responded; No, why? Ported I think it depends.
    Admittedly, I've never played around with a comped pistol, but I have shot a ported pistol, at night, and it did have flashes of flame projecting up through the slots and, after a few shots, I did lose some down range visual acuity. Notedly, I do get more 'flash' from a 4" .357 magnum, but the Glock 34 I shot had flame flashes that came up through the barrel slots, directly into my line of vision, that also interfered with my sight picture!

Top Bottom