• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Comped: requires threaded barrel, easier to install, must be removed for cleaning, doesn’t affect bullet velocity.

Ported: , must be gunsmithed to modify the barrel & slide. Decreases bullet velocity, same takedown cleaning method as stock.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I vote for neither, if the gun is to be used as a carry/defense tool. A compensator will make a relatively large handgun that much larger/longer. Both compensator and porting have the potential to give you a face full of hot gases and burning powder when fired from any kind of retention position. If that doesn't ruin your day, your attacker will.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I have a P-07 that was worked over by CGW and it was one of my favorites. Decided to try a Parker Mountain Machine comp on it just to see how it worked. Now it is my absolute favorite 9mm. "Seat of the pants" change was fantastic. Highly recommend the PMM comp.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I've been carrying a ported gun for several years and I've tried comps but ported is my preference. Just my opinion but purported downsides of ported is overblown to say the least. I held a white piece of paper directly behind the ports and fired the gun without damaging my hand or the paper. I suppose it would be possible to get a blast of hot air firing from retention but I don't see it being an issue in a normal retention position. Blinding flash at night is an internet myth. Even though I carry a gun everywhere the chances of me being in a self defense shooting are VERY small. Chances of being forced to fire from retention even smaller and if that's the case hot air in my face will likely be the least of my worries. As always your decision but I'll take my chances with the 30% recoil reduction and the minuscule velocity reduction of my ported setup. Of course you do you and YMMV but what ever you do train regularly with what you are carrying to maximize your chances for success.

Last edited:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I've been carrying a ported gun for several years and I've tried comps but ported is my preference. Just my opinion but purported downsides of ported is overblown to say the least. I held a white piece of paper directly behind the ports and fired the gun without damaging my hand or the paper. I suppose it would be possible to get a blast of hot air firing from retention but I don't see it being an issue in a normal retention position. Blinding flash at night is an internet myth. Even though I carry a gun everywhere the chances of me being in a self defense shooting are VERY small. Chances of being forced to fire from retention even smaller and if that's the case a hot air in my face will likely be the least of my worries. As always your decision but I'll take my chances with the 30% recoil reduction and the minuscule velocity reduction of my ported setup. Of course you do you and YMMV but what ever you do train regularly with what you are carrying to maximize your chances for success.
    Valid points, all.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I vote for neither, if the gun is to be used as a carry/defense tool. A compensator will make a relatively large handgun that much larger/longer. Both compensator and porting have the potential to give you a face full of hot gases and burning powder when fired from any kind of retention position. If that doesn't ruin your day, your attacker will.
    Is this from personal knowledge or you read it on the web?

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Is this from personal knowledge or you read it on the web?
    Charter Arms Bulldog .44 SPL. Ported. It had a 2.5" bbl, IIRC. Been there, done that. Won't do it again. Need porting to help with the recoil of a .500 S&W Magnum? I get it. Need porting on a 4.5" barrel 9mm carry gun? I don't get it.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Id leave the porting or comps for the competition games. I use to do USPSA dnIDPA it’s fun and not knocking it. That is a technical shooting game. I am more into application use where .50 splits your doing good that’s fast enough to assess if the next shot is warranted and to make solid hits.

So that being said a comp really isn’t needed for a 9mm. And while makers like Sig have a lot of carry type ported options unless you want to do the speed thing that would be the only benefit but how much $$ do you want to spend (along with practice ammo) to get to those jail
    Bait .16 splits???!

But you do you!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Charter Arms Bulldog .44 SPL. Ported. It had a 2.5" bbl, IIRC. Been there, done that. Won't do it again. Need porting to help with the recoil of a .500 S&W Magnum? I get it. Need porting on a 4.5" barrel 9mm carry gun? I don't get it.
    I have three,a 41 Smith and I hate to say it but, two Glock pistols. A 19C and a 23C, I have fired a few thousand rounds out of them over the last 20+ years during the day/night and never have had any issues with flash or gas issues myself. The flash is so fast I don't ever remember it being a problem. I will also say that when being shot under a roof at the range, they are Fing loud.
    They do shoot softer than a non ported pistol.
    I would assume its going to be different with a revolver that blasts out gas between the cylinder and barrel along with a short barrel.
    I don't get a ported revolver myself. :dunno:

20240610_181301.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've got a Taurus model 44 6.5" ported.
    You can feel a push on your face yes, but no burning powder, or hot gas.
    It has 4 ports on each side and it vents it away from your face. It also helps muzzle flip tremendously.
    Zoom in towards front sight to see them.
    20220219_142511.jpg

That said I would comp hunting handguns for quicker follow-up shots if necessary.
    Carry guns I have a mixed view for and against.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Creedmore:
    I just don't get porting a 9mm. The recoil simply does not 'need' management. My 14 y.o. grandson shoots a non-ported P365 (his mother's gun) just fine. From the looks of the 2 posted guns, you are also giving up about 1/3 of your barrel. What does that do to muzzle velocity?

DadSmith:
    Porting a 6.5" hunting gun makes perfect sense to me. Very few people (none?) take game from a retention position.

Now imagine this. Carry a ported CA .44SPL Bulldog OWB @ 4 o'clock. Quarter away from threat to disguise/hide the fact that you are drawing a gun. Draw to clear holster, rotate hardware up toward threat. Your right (gun) hand is essentially 14-18" directly below your face. Pull trigger. I have done this exactly once. I'm glad it was in a range scenario in my backyard. It did not blind me with flash since it was daytime. It did surprise the **** out of me. In a defense situation, I would have been, momentarily at least, out of the fight just from the surprise of it. THAT is something nobody needs: your own gun interrupting your response to a threat. I stand by my response/advice. Do not carry a ported SD handgun. If you insist, practice shooting from retention positions. At least you'll know what to expect.

Creedmore:
    Chamber pressure on 44 spl is 15,000 PSI. On 9mm it is about 35,000 PSI. I would expect the blast from 9mm to be way more than from .44. Admittedly, I've never shot a ported 9mm.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    show_file-jpeg.40972
    John Wick says compensator on a P30L.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Anybody use Magna-port these days? In the past I know they were the go to. My brother had a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag Magna-ported and I remember it working very well. Anyone use them for a semi auto?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Creedmore:
    I just don't get porting a 9mm. The recoil simply does not 'need' management. My 14 y.o. grandson shoots a non-ported P365 (his mother's gun) just fine. From the looks of the 2 posted guns, you are also giving up about 1/3 of your barrel. What does that do to muzzle velocity?

DadSmith:
    Porting a 6.5" hunting gun makes perfect sense to me. Very few people (none?) take game from a retention position.

Now imagine this. Carry a ported CA .44SPL Bulldog OWB @ 4 o'clock. Quarter away from threat to disguise/hide the fact that you are drawing a gun. Draw to clear holster, rotate hardware up toward threat. Your right (gun) hand is essentially 14-18" directly below your face. Pull trigger. I have done this exactly once. I'm glad it was in a range scenario in my backyard. It did not blind me with flash since it was daytime. It did surprise the **** out of me. In a defense situation, I would have been, momentarily at least, out of the fight just from the surprise of it. THAT is something nobody needs: your own gun interrupting your response to a threat. I stand by my response/advice. Do not carry a ported SD handgun. If you insist, practice shooting from retention positions. At least you'll know what to expect.

Creedmore:
    Chamber pressure on 44 spl is 15,000 PSI. On 9mm it is about 35,000 PSI. I would expect the blast from 9mm to be way more than from .44. Admittedly, I've never shot a ported 9mm.
    And with me having the though that I would never own a ported revolver, just shooting a revolver one can get blasted in the face without being ported.
    Ever shot one just a bit out of time?
    I bought my first ported Glock, a 19C just to see if I liked it. I'm still not a Glock fan. But those compensated Glocks are really misunderstood by the public.
    My sons both own and carry 19's at work.
    I understand your thoughts on 9mm and porting, but shoot one and it will change your thoughts, it did mine.
    All of the 9mm that we shoot and that I load are 124 grain +P stuff.

If I'm ever going to be up north or your traveling south, I would be more than glad to let you shoot both of mine along with a non ported 19.
    It will change your mind.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    DadSmith:

That's why I've got reservations on a comp on a edc pistol. I can see the plus side of the comp with quicker follow-up shots, more controllable etc.
    Then the negative side as you stated.
    However, I've never fired a comp 9mm it most likely isn't anything like a ported 44mag. If it directs the gasses in a proper direction it might be fine. I'd have to fire it at night as well.
    Also I Carry a 1000 lumens edc light so I'm thinking that will be able to compensate for any muzzle blindness.
    Like I said above I have mixed feelings/thoughts on this.
    I'd have to practice with one to get a better perspective, and opinion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    IDriver
    Top Bottom