• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Just make sure you don't keep it crammed in the stuff sack. The best way to make your 0 degree bag into a 50 degree bag is to keep it stuffed. Store it hanging up or in a large, loose bag.

Wally world has some synthetics that are very inexpensive, but you can't rely on their temp rating. Their 10 degree bag struggled at 40 degrees.

Campmor has some good deals and is usually accurate in descriptions. REI has great stuff that is very expensive.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    2 things I see here worth noting:

Just make sure you don't keep it crammed in the stuff sack. The best way to make your 0 degree bag into a 50 degree bag is to keep it stuffed. Store it hanging up or in a large, loose bag.

Magyars said:
    Check out Wiggy's....supposed to be used by some of our Military...good stuff but not cheap.

The Wiggys's bags are pretty good, yet bulky even with a compression sack. They have been running a sale at 30% off for some time, but even with the discount they're not cheap like a WallyWorld bag or equivalent.

Once you get past the bulk, but those are -40° bags (actually two bags; it's a two bag system like the military version.)

While down will compress to a smaller size/volume, wet down will do nothing for you except help you freeze. OTOH, synthetic insulation will dry itself out from the heat produced by your body.

While Wiggy's may say you can leave their bags compressed with no long term compression issues a lot of people I have discussed this with do say the bags will show some apparent loss of insulating ability, if the bags are left in their compression sacks. Just something to be aware of.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    A couple things to think about when you're shopping for a sleeping bag.

If you intend to use the bag for emergencies, you might want to consider keeping a couple synthetic blankets or poncho liners along with a wind/waterproof sleeping bag cover, since you will not have to worry as much about compressing your filler.

The absolute best sort of sleeping bag to get in terms of warmth, is a down-filled bag with a Gore-Tex (or similar) inner and outer linings. These are horribly expensive, but offer the best in compressibility and comfort during use - but down, if kept compressed or if it gets wet, tends to lose its loft and thus its insulating properties.

There are various artificial fibers such as Thinsulate (although I don't believe it's used much for sleeping bags because it doesn't drape well) which are manufactured so as to create the same micro-air spaces which give down its excellent insulating properties. Because they are synthetics, they don't tend to absorb moisture and will maintain their loft and insulating properties even if wet. They are much less expensive than down, but don't pack down as small.

Except for the dead of winter, I tend to use a summer-weight sleeping bag (Uncle Wiggy's Jungle Bag, I believe) and rely on clothing and extra insulation (like poncho liners and a Gore-Tex sleeping bag cover) to supplement its insulating qualities.

Hope this helps you out.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've used a lot of different "sleep systems" in the woods, from deserts to jungles to subzero snowy woods, from expensive ones to a pile of leaves. Everything is a compromise.

One of my favorite compressable bags is a jungle weight bag I got from Sportsmans guide 10 years ago. I still use it down to 40 degrees.

I have a current issue British warm weather bag I am digging. Roomy. Compact.

The USGI patrol bag squishes down pretty small, maybe 8x14. It does a good job down to 30 degrees, and 20 with a Goretex bivy. For me. YMMV.

I rarely use my snugpack Extreme. Its warm as a sauna, but too big.

Notes:
    Down, as mentioned compresses well, but is nearly worthless when wet.

Thinsulate is okay but is so 2003.

Primaloft is good stuff and Climashield is ever better, but things made out of this are spendy.

Take a look at the quilt concept, that is in a bag, you are already compressing the bottom layer of insulation, so if you are already sleeping on a ground pad of some sortl, then save the weight/space by carrying a quilt. Like the Kirafu woobie. There are some awesome (spelled expensive) gears out there made of very lightweight 1.1 oz ripstop nylon and Primaloft. All the cool ultralight hiker kids are running quilts.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Stay with a quality brand name and take care of it and it will last you a lifetime. I have Northface down and synthetic bags that are 25 years old and perform like new. And I spend a lot of weeks in the woods. Other quality brands are Marmot and Kelty. For a lighter weight, warmer weather bag I have had success with Slumberjack.
    And yes, never store your bag, down jacket or self inflating mattress in a compression bag.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I use mountain hardware bags. They have great down bags. As previous posters have said don't store them compressed. Down will dry out quicker if it gets when in comparison to most synthetics.

Watch REI, EMS, moosejaw, and campmor for a sale.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I use mountain hardware bags. They have great down bags. As previous posters have said don't store them compressed. Down will dry out quicker if it gets when in comparison to most synthetics.

Gotta take issue with this statement. Down loses its loft (insulating characteristics) when wet, synthetics don't absorb much water, so they tend to dry (eventually) with just body heat. If you've got a down vest and a synthetic-fill vest, try soaking them both and see which dries out first.

Down, as a sleeping bag filler for anything but cold dry conditions, is much inferior to most synthetics unless it is encased in Gore-Tex or some other "breathable" moisture barrier.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

this is completely incorrect. down takes forever to dry. most synthetics bags will dry rather quickly if you hang them up and w/ a good breeze or if you sleep in them your body heat will dry them out. in the military we use to put our wet clothes between the green bag and black bag w/ the gortex bivy, then sleep on it for about 6 hours and your wet clothes were dry and usually the bags were also.

wool bags are much warmer and compress better and are usually lighter. if you take measures and are sleeping in a tent wool bags are fine but once wet they are basically useless w/ out a couple days of good sun

Top Bottom