Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So now the Dolpins are racists because they signed lilly white Jay Cutler over slightly less white Kaepernick. The twittersphere nearly experienced China Syndrome yesterday. Of course race had to be the primary motivation. Couldn't be anything else. You know, like Gase having previously worked with Cutler. Nope. Miami wanted the whitest quarterback.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So now the Dolpins are racists because they signed lilly white Jay Cutler over slightly less white Kaepernick. The twittersphere nearly experienced China Syndrome yesterday. Of course race had to be the primary motivation. Couldn't be anything else. You know, like Gase having previously worked with Cutler. Nope. Miami wanted the whitest quarterback.

Racist certainly...or smart enough to not sign a Che Guevara-supporting communist type in a city full of people who fled Che and communism...but what do they know?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Racist certainly...or smart enough to not sign a Che Guevara-supporting communist type in a city full of people who fled Che and communism...but what do they know?

Hmmm... with Trump's proposed immigration plan, what do you think would happen to those people (assuming this occurred contemporaneously).

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The Dolphins were already racist. Remembering the Incognito rookie hazing incidents, calling his other linemen names etc.
    Miami must be a horrible football city. .. . .. .
    The undefeated 1972 team is to blame for all this stuff.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hmmm... with Trump's proposed immigration plan, what do you think would happen to those people (assuming this occurred contemporaneously).

That seems like kind of a "if we had a time machine" hypothetical. As with all such scenarios, irrelevant....especially to a football discussion.

One could as easily posit what would happen if the Cuban government were given proper support before 1959...or in 1961. Imopposble to know and irrelevant.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Dolphins were already racist. Remembering the Incognito rookie hazing incidents, calling his other linemen names etc.
    Miami must be a horrible football city. .. . .. .
    The undefeated 1972 team is to blame for all this stuff.

Well yeah. The Dolphins suck, and so does the city they reside. I've hated them forever.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Bomani Jones (not known for avoiding race issues) has made the point several times that the Dolphins were probably the ONLY team that couldn't take Kaepernick.

I hear all the talk about the NFL being a business and all about winning (when a potential star gets a domestic abuse allegation or drug issue), but maybe its that simple with Colin, too. He did a great job in a certain system for a couple years, until he didn't.

Maybe other teams just don't think he'd be that good in their system. Wouldn't be the first running quarterback to have issues.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    CK broke the code and the unspoken punishment has caught up with him.
    Maybe if his "Stardom" shone brighter he might be able to get a job. He didn't do so well without Harbaugh and even then Harbaugh was questioned of why he kept CK as his starter. The stats and wins/losses didn't add up to a good QB other than the offense Harbaugh installed for his legs. That didn't take long to figure out.
    Besides, that last hair-do didn't help him a bit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Running quarterbacks are great until they get hit enough (or get old enough) that they lose just half-a-step, then the weaknesses in their pocket passing game (which always seem to be present..or they wouldn't be scrambling so much) get exposed.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Running quarterbacks are great until they get hit enough (or get old enough) that they lose just half-a-step, then the weaknesses in their pocket passing game (which always seem to be present..or they wouldn't be scrambling so much) get exposed.

Even as good as Michael Vick was it didn't take but a couple of years until defenses started the "shadow" linebackers in the 3/4. Even good, strong, young legs are vulnerable to 275lb mad dogs chewing, twisting, and falling on them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well yeah. The Dolphins suck, and so does the city they reside. I've hated them forever.

I kinda liked the Dolphins in the early 70s. I started hating them when Dan Marino played for them. I just thought he was such whiner. I didn't start liking him until he dissed Ohio State to Cris Carter on air. Then I'm like. Hey. Maybe I was judging too harshly. I think I like that guy. Maybe the Dolphins aren't that bad. Then Chad Henne went to the Dolphins. Can't hate a team with a Michigan man at QB too much.

But now. Meh. Dolphins might as well be the Titans in the grand scheme of who gives a ****.

Bomani Jones (not known for avoiding race issues) has made the point several times that the Dolphins were probably the ONLY team that couldn't take Kaepernick.

I hear all the talk about the NFL being a business and all about winning (when a potential star gets a domestic abuse allegation or drug issue), but maybe its that simple with Colin, too. He did a great job in a certain system for a couple years, until he didn't.

Maybe other teams just don't think he'd be that good in their system. Wouldn't be the first running quarterback to have issues.

The thing is, this has absolutely nothing to do with race at all, other than Kaepernick making an issue of race last year. At most one might argue that Kaepernick not getting hired by the Dolphins is political. Maybe they didn't want the controversy. Or as Hough mentioned, there are some Cuban Americans in the NFL who are really pissed at him about the tee shirt.

And Kaepernick's explanation is as full of holes as a used Justin Bieber paper target. He said he only supported Castro's position on education, and that he never said he supported Castro's oppressive actions. Dude. YOU WORE HIS ****ING TEE SHIRT! It was an image of Castro when HE WAS ****ING OPPRESSING people. Get that lame ass **** out of here.

Even as good as Michael Vick was it didn't take but a couple of years until defenses started the "shadow" linebackers in the 3/4. Even good, strong, young legs are vulnerable to 275lb mad dogs chewing, twisting, and falling on them.

Read-option was the **** until it wasn't. 1) it turns out NFL owners are risk averse. 2) It took a couple of seasons but defenses kinda figured it out. Now mobile QB's also need to have drop-back skills. That's why Russel Wilson is still really good. And that's why Cam Newton is still really good. They're both very mobile and very good drop-back passers.

Kaepernick really isn't so much. His mobile skills made his mediocre drop-back skills usable before defenses figured it out. He's a has-been because he has the wrong skill set, and not just because he pissed off all the fans who don't want politics mixed into their sports. Cutler is arguably better than Kaepernick as far as the skill set needed today. Cutler has the skill, but his problem is between his ears. I can see why Gase would want Cutler. Cutler had his best season QB rating with Gase as the offensive coordinator. That year it actually wasn't Cutler's fault that the Bears sucked.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Kaepernick even hired a couple of former QBs to help him with his game. He knows his **** is weak.
    When Curt Warner has 4 months with you to help hone the skills and says he can't do more with him it's obvious it's not 100% biased.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    this could go in the face palm thread too:

NAACP wants meeting with NFL commissioner about Kaepernick - National News - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

no, it's because he's a crappy qb.
    I have to disagree in part. He is a mediocre QB, who is not worth taking on the baggage to hire him. If he hadn't made such a spectacle out of this, he probably would have a job right now as a backup somewhere.

The Bears have frickin Mark Sanchez for instance. He is at least as good as Sanchez.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The NAACP is wrong though when they say "no player should be victimized and discriminated against because of his exercise of free speech." There is no law against saying what you want, but when it affects your employer they have every right to get rid of you or not hire you.

Of course they know that. They would want someone fired in an instant if something was said that they did not like.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    The NAACP is wrong though when they say "no player should be victimized and discriminated against because of his exercise of free speech." There is no law against saying what you want, but when it affects your employer they have every right to get rid of you or not hire you.

Of course they know that. They would want someone fired in an instant if something was said that they did not like.

bingo. I know I have no free speech rights at my job, but I like my paycheck, so I bite my tongue.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Heck the left is reviewing pictures of the nazi whack jobs and trying to get all of them fired from their jobs. They weren't even doing their dumb crap at work or while working.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom