• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    That's one of the things that Bill Clinton ruined with ending the DCM.
    It was luck of the draw back then, you ordered your one in a lifetime of each firearm being sold, and a year later what showed up in your mailbox is what you got.
    No crying, that's what you got.

Now with the auctions, the person with the fat Check book, gets the hard to find, oddities and rare firearms.
    I will say (and some folks might disagree) part of the problem is the A$$hats that keep buying CMP stuff and flipping it. Same with the dudes on ammo. I get free market this isn’t it.

If they went back to the one in a lifetime that wouldn’t bother me at all!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I will say (and some folks might disagree) part of the problem is the A$$hats that keep buying CMP stuff and flipping it. Same with the dudes on ammo. I get free market this isn’t it.

I've never really been that impressed either with those that flip.
    It's really sad that for years now just those with thick check books end up with the best stuff.

Johnk

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    Add me to this list of dissatisfaction. I too rail against the hoarding especially those owners which have many of the same firearm. Who needs 14 Lugers? Who just has to have 9 Hi-Powers? M1 Carbines used to be plentiful but now one can't even find a decently priced one, if you can even find one.

Johnk

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    Don't fret, that's not what i'm saying. It's just an opinion borne of frustration at not being willing to spend ridiculous amounts of treasure for trophies. I'm no Marxist, just a poor blue collar retired guy wishing he could justify spending exorbitant amounts of money on something he'd like to have ONE OF!
    Now having said that, how do i get rich, and it has to be legally.
    And one final thing, if anyone has a Hi-Power or an M1 Carbine or a Mini-14 at a realistic price they'd part with I'm all ears.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So what are you saying? From each according to their ability, to each according to their need? :scratch:
    Me, I could care less about the firearm horders, it's just not a fair playing field any longer with the advent of the auctions.
    With our tax money being used to buy/build what's being sold. It should be a fair playing field for all.
    A regular citizen is not going to open up his Garand and see a 3 or 4 digit serial, an M1D rifle minus scope, a worthy Winchester and so on.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

I agree, but I think that ship has sailed. The inventory is too depleted at this point for the limits to do any good. It does sicken me to see people flipping them for 2-3x what I know they paid on gunbroker and at gun shows, as it totally flies in the face of the purpose of the program.

I bought 3 over a period of about 4 years and I'm not selling any of them. All three have been shot by us extensively (I just loaded up a batch of ammo this morning, actually). One was for my 16 year-old son who will take legal possession when he turns 18, and my other two boys can each have one when I die, if they want them. If they don't I'm sure my oldest will keep and use them. I just knew I had to get them now because the inventory will be gone by the time they're old enough to order one for themselves.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    The Carbines dried up many years ago. When CMP got them they went straight to auction and sold for big $$$$. When at North store back around 2006 maybe I got a WWII Garand, they had carbines on the rack and thought later I would get one...soon later there was none except for auctions. Then right about the time they were gone got a Nov. 1942 Carbine in excellent shape, all WWII parts for $180 at a Shipshawna gun show! Jumped on it right now.

About that time got a great deal on a early Federal Ordance M14A off gun broker. Stock was painted ugly black, rear sight was brokin inside so why it didn't hold true, and needed shimmed really bad. Strip stock and it was beautiful birch. Lob tracers out to 740 yards to the gong, great shooter and added a dummy USGI parts happy switch for looks.

17022.jpg

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I agree, but I think that ship has sailed. The inventory is too depleted at this point for the limits to do any good. It does sicken me to see people flipping them for 2-3x what I know they paid on gunbroker and at gun shows, as it totally flies in the face of the purpose of the program.

I bought 3 over a period of about 4 years and I'm not selling any of them. All three have been shot by us extensively (I just loaded up a batch of ammo this morning, actually). One was for my 16 year-old son who will take legal possession when he turns 18, and my other two boys can each have one when I die, if they want them. If they don't I'm sure my oldest will keep and use them. I just knew I had to get them now because the inventory will be gone by the time they're old enough to order one for themselves.
    I know it’s not the same as a USGI through CMP but I’d like to see Springfield bring back production M1 Garands for those of us that want shooters.

SA made a batch of new production M1 Garands for a few years about 25 years ago them discontinued them.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know it’s not the same as a USGI through CMP but I’d like to see Springfield bring back production M1 Garands for those of us that want shooters.

SA made a batch of new production M1 Garands for a few years about 25 years ago them discontinued them.
    If things hold the CMP is sourcing replica Garand Receivers..
    Earlier this year, the CMP screwed up and let the cat out of the bag and added "Replica CMP Garands" to the match rules. Then QUICKLY retracted that when requests and inquiry came in, but google saved it.

1718744053899.png
    Discussion on another forum.
    https://www.m14forum.com/threads/is-cmp-going-to-make-reproduction-m1-garands.537478/

Tisas would certainly have the stuff to make receivers for them, they may even be from adjusted BM-59 tooling

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

It's not a replica receiver, but one of my CMP rifles is a "Special Rack" grade. Refinished Springfield receiver (actually kind of a cool one...six-digit and lead-dipped...you can still see the lead line through the re-park) with a CMP wood stock and a new Criterion barrel. I thought it was a pretty excellent deal for a shooter at $650. I put national match sights on that one for a slightly finer sight picture.

I wish they were still offering those because it gave them a way to turn guns that were otherwise too far gone into an excellent option for somebody looking for a shooter.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's not a replica receiver, but one of my CMP rifles is a "Special Rack" grade. Refinished Springfield receiver (actually kind of a cool one...six-digit and lead-dipped...you can still see the lead line through the re-park) with a CMP wood stock and a new Criterion barrel. I thought it was a pretty excellent deal for a shooter at $650. I put national match sights on that one for a slightly finer sight picture.

I wish they were still offering those because it gave them a way to turn guns that were otherwise too far gone into an excellent option for somebody looking for a shooter.
    They probably will, just with a Tisas made receiver.

Top Bottom