• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The only way to clean an AR is Marine Corps boot camp style using only the finest in milsurp clp to give you that back in the day feeling while in the garage listening to running cadence in your sun faded desert cammies.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    "A clean weapon is a happy weapon.'-- Every USAF CATM troop EVER!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    That's pretty condescending, don't you think?

Not really. If he doesn't clean the the tail of his bolt and the recess more often than that, it will LITERALLY be covered in a mass of hard-rock carbon by the time he gets to it, depending on rounds used. I was trying to bring some amount of levity to the situation, while partially quoting a rather famous builder's opinion on the topic. Apparently you did not see my dry humor

But since you asked, Mr. Captain, I only match my level of condescension to the level of advice given:

Why the hell would you clean it?

By stating the above, you imply that you do not see the need to clean the rifle at all, and that is TERRIBLE advice. I think you probably know that, so why did you say what you did?

There's plenty of it on the internet I am sure, but this is not fun and games, and you CANNOT rely on somebody else, admittedly inexperienced, to sort out the BS and jokes through a communication format with no context or tone.

-Nate

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Not really. If he doesn't clean the the tail of his bolt and the recess more often than that, it will LITERALLY be covered in a mass of hard-rock carbon by the time he gets to it, depending on rounds used. I was trying to bring some amount of levity to the situation, while partially quoting a rather famous builder's opinion on the topic. Apparently you did not see my dry humor

But since you asked, Mr. Captain, I only match my level of condescension to the level of advice given:

By stating the above, you imply that you do not see the need to clean the rifle at all, and that is TERRIBLE advice. I think you probably know that, so why did you say what you did?

There's plenty of it on the internet I am sure, but this is not fun and games, and you CANNOT rely on somebody else, admittedly inexperienced, to sort out the BS and jokes through a communication format with no context or tone.

-Nate

I like you.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I like you.

First time anybody's said that this week!

Hey, I just try to call what I see, or keep my mouth shut and read when I know nothing about a topic. Like golf.

Wait...

:n00b:..

Nope. I'd never read about golf.

-Nate

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    First time anybody's said that this week!

Hey, I just try to call what I see, or keep my mouth shut and read when I know nothing about a topic. Like golf.

Wait...

:n00b:..

Nope. I'd never read about golf.

-Nate

I know you were joking. I'm sure you knew I was as well.

Your response made me smile. Nice keeping me in check. I respect that.

Jlburger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    West Indy
    The main reason I'm wanting to take it off is because it's a stainless barrel and shows dirt quick. I'm not sure if I should though. I'm realizing that I might have to take off my eotech in order to get it off. Because it over hangs on to the forend.
    I take it off very rarely. You don't need that wrench, but it is a little tricky. You don't really ever need to remove it unless you take it through some mud.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I've gone 10,000+ rounds without a cleaning or malfunction. I did it for no other reason than just to see what was possible. A quality bcg from WMD wipes down quick and after a couple cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner, it looks like new. A decent amount of that was suppressed and maybe 10% or less was steel cased. Unless you're using cheap/questionable parts, there's really no need to clean before shooting 1000 rounds. Just keep the bolt wet.

Gunner72

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    NE Indiana
    Everybody does things differently. I over clean mine. Every time ,I shoot I clean it. I know I will probably get bashed for it, but that is what I do. All my guns get cleaned that way. Especially my carry gun.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Do what you gotta do. Not everyone subscribes to that philosophy, but that's okay. Some people CC. Some OC. No one is right or wrong. What's wrong is when you criticize other people simply for not doing it your way.

Keep on cleaning those guns. Or don't. It won't hurt them either way.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Whatever you do as far as a cleaning regimen, at least make sure that you are giving the rifle a reason that it is dirty other than gathering dust in the corner.

-Nate

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I've gone 10,000+ rounds without a cleaning or malfunction. I did it for no other reason than just to see what was possible. A quality bcg from WMD wipes down quick and after a couple cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner, it looks like new. A decent amount of that was suppressed and maybe 10% or less was steel cased. Unless you're using cheap/questionable parts, there's really no need to clean before shooting 1000 rounds. Just keep the bolt wet.

My 5.56 rifle can do the same. My 300 BLK running subsonic rounds I suspect wouldn't achieve the same level of success. I could be wrong, it's a fairly new build, but time will tell.

Top Bottom