• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WheelGloryDame

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    These United States of America
    So my husband came home this morning after gallivanting around the woods for hours with a squirrel in hand. He proudly holds it up and says are you proud of me?
    Of course I'm proud of him. Great job honey.
    Now, what do I do with it. I have never eaten a wild animal before let alone dressed one. Now don't get me wrong, I love to cook, and have cleaned many whole chickens and turkeys in my few years. But I have never cleaned anything with the fur (or feathers) still on.
    So what do I do with this small furry creature. How do I cook it. Does it need to be de-boned? Should I put it in a brine overnight like you do chicken? Boil it? Bake it? Grill it? Fry it? Braise it? Broil it? Also what spices go with squirrel?
    So ladies, give em up, all your best wild game recipes where squirrel can be used.
    Thanks for all the help,
    WheelGloryDame

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So my husband came home this morning after gallivanting around the woods for hours with a squirrel in hand. He proudly holds it up and says are you proud of me?
    Of course I'm proud of him. Great job honey.
    Now, what do I do with it. I have never eaten a wild animal before let alone dressed one. Now don't get me wrong, I love to cook, and have cleaned many whole chickens and turkeys in my few years. But I have never cleaned anything with the fur (or feathers) still on.
    So what do I do with this small furry creature. How do I cook it. Does it need to be de-boned? Should I put it in a brine overnight like you do chicken? Boil it? Bake it? Grill it? Fry it? Braise it? Broil it? Also what spices go with squirrel?
    So ladies, give em up, all your best wild game recipes where squirrel can be used.
    Thanks for all the help,
    WheelGloryDame

I'm not a lady, I'm not even a woman! But I for one, applaud your attempt to please your other half.

Have you ever fried chicken? Think of that squirrel as a small, flightless, furry chicken. Odd mental picture there!

Anyway. soaking in brine water overnight will help reduce the "game" flavor some speak of. Rinse off the brine and pat dry with a towel.
    Season and cook just as you would a chicken. Obviously, since squirrels are somewhat smaller, they will naturally cook faster.

You can cook squirrel into just about ANY recipe you would use chicken in, or even beef for that matter.

Squirrel meat is tasty in my opinion. Just takes more of them to make a meal!

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I don't have "wild game recipes" but I do know that squirell was/is being talked about in "The great outdoors" forum.

Hope you find a good recipe and sorry I'm not much more of a help. Hopefully someone will chime in with some useful information for you.

RachelMarie

Edited to say MGDERF has useful information!!! :) Glad someone chimed in!

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    I soak mine overnight in salt water, lay it on a sheet of foil put a couple of strips of bacon on it , a few slices of lemon , a few slices of onion, season with whatever you like ,put a sheet of foil on top and crimp the edges,grill for 1/2 hr turning a couple times.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    "Cooking Squirrel" article in BWH

The current issue of Backwoods Home Magazine has:
    (sorry, it is not in the free online content)~

53 Cooking squirrel
    By Amanda Kemp
    includes:
    -----Rotisserie Squirrel
    -----Creamed Squirrel
    -----Curried Squirrel

It is 2/3 of a page, and is preceeded by "The art of squirrel hunting" on page 51.
    Issue 119 (Sept/Oct 2009)

Last edited:

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Squirrel and dumplings..mmmmm. :)

Boil the squirrel until the meat falls off the bones. Then make a batch of your favorite dumplings using the broth, mix in the squirrel meat and enjoy!

Disclaimer: I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be, a lady!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Squirrel and dumplings..mmmmm. :)

Boil the squirrel until the meat falls off the bones. Then make a batch of your favorite dumplings using the broth, mix in the squirrel meat and enjoy!

Disclaimer: I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be, a lady!

I'm going to have to try that one!
    Thanks Greg!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66AVwthXgMA]YouTube - How to Skin a Squirrel Video[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEpx4CM9Eh4]YouTube - Cooking - Squirrel (Skillet)[/ame]

WheelGloryDame

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    These United States of America
    My husband and his cousin want to get enough to feed the entire family on thanksgiving (plus one standard turkey) so I've been put in charge of cooking them. Thanks to everyone so far. Can anyone describe the taste of squirrel? I've tasted roast duck, and didn't like it. Is it similar?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Can anyone describe the taste of squirrel?

tastes%20like%20chicken.png

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I tried pan-frying squirrel once...I cooked it till browned & no more pink...Let me just say that eating it was harder than chewing on a golf ball. I gave up & ended up making some really good squirrel & dumplings with the bits of fried breading in it.

The moral here is you can't just fry it like chicken. It takes a long time to get tender. It takes a couple of hours of boiling it to get it tender enough to pull off the bone.

I just made some Squirrel Stroganoff over noodles a few days ago. Turned out really good.

Oh & the skin is a BEAR to get off, especially without leaving any fur behind on the meat.

Top Bottom