Classic Tractor Pics. Yours not yours, all things cool or not so cool.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Our family had a 46 McCormick baler…

View attachment 275806
    OH!! We had a Model 46 "back in the day". You had to use the best twine, and "play it by ear". Don't look at the tachometer (if you were pulling it with a tractor that had one...) listen to the baler. It had a sound it would make and it would rock side-to-side when it was running at the right RPMs and it would bale like crazy.

My Dad ran heavy construction equipment when they were building the Interstates and had lost so much hearing he couldn't pick up on the sound the baler made. He'd run too high RPMs and it baled like crap. Either that or he didn't believe what I was yelling from the wagon.

Maybe... Summer 1983: I'm driving south through Washington County (Becks Mill area) and I spot an Amish horse team pulling... an IH Model 46 baler. Not only did it look better than ours, it was kicking bales out better than ours ever did!! Bet that Amish gentleman was "playing by ear" ;)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Everything on the farm is green but I have always liked these. Ac only made a few and was the biggest tractor ac ever made (a little over 300 horses). In contrast the one I just climbed down out of is 620 horses and drives it’s self until it breaks.
    That tractor has great lines…

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Reminds me of when I was a little kid spending the weekends with my Aunt and Uncle ........Used to ride on the right fender somehow while my uncle plowed for his garden ............at the end of the row , I got to pull the brake to help make the tractor spin to turn around . Have loved tractors every since ( all of them ) ;)

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    My Dad bought tractors when he was in high school to start farming, late 50s. From my geneology research he was at minimum 4th generation farmer. When I looked at careers he said "don't go into farming". Never had the green JD but eventually had a JD 9600 combine. I did buy an AC WD 45 wide front end in the early 90s for a large property I had but sold when I moved a few years later. I haven't even owned a riding mower for 25+ years. Probably due to weekends as a kid mowing several acre yards with a Snapper or a junked out Cub Cadet with PTO that was bought for grain auger dual duty.

Tractors were fine to operate. Even ran a Heston 1 ton square baler with the Ford 7700 (looked like the one in the Oliver pic). Custom baling paid for the new tractor, which was probably the only new one I was aware of. The old grain trucks were tougher to drive, 41 Jimmy & 43 6x6 army truck with gravity bed. Ford cabover was much better.

Tractors I remember operating in the late 70s/early 80s, in order of ownership. Some smaller Fords (select-o shift) not included.

Oliver 1800, Ford 9700, Ford 7700, and Massey 4900 (found pics online).

Screenshot_20230513-204042~2.jpgScreenshot_20230513-191838~2.jpgScreenshot_20230513-204240~2.jpgScreenshot_20230513-203738~2.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My Dad bought tractors when he was in high school to start farming, late 50s. From my geneology research he was at minimum 4th generation farmer. When I looked at careers he said "don't go into farming". Never had the green JD but eventually had a JD 9600 combine. I did buy an AC WD 45 wide front end in the early 90s for a large property I had but sold when I moved a few years later. I haven't even owned a riding mower for 25+ years. Probably due to weekends as a kid mowing several acre yards with a Snapper or a junked out Cub Cadet with PTO that was bought for grain auger dual duty.

Tractors were fine to operate. Even ran a Heston 1 ton square baler with the Ford 7700 (looked like the one in the Oliver pic). Custom baling paid for the new tractor, which was probably the only new one I was aware of. The old grain trucks were tougher to drive, 41 Jimmy & 43 6x6 army truck with gravity bed. Ford cabover was much better.

Tractors I remember operating in the late 70s/early 80s, in order of ownership. Some smaller Fords (select-o shift) not included.

Oliver 1800, Ford 9700, Ford 7700, and Massey 4900 (found pics online).

View attachment 275916View attachment 275918View attachment 275917View attachment 275919
    All that taught us a lot and gave us memories we will never forget…

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    As impressive as plowing with a tractor can be, the most memorable, impressive, and wonderful sight I can recall comes from outside of Topeka.

I had the opportunity to spend time and work in that area....great opportunity to learn much.

There was the day I saw a guy that looked all of 12 years old and maybe 110 pounds soaking wet.... driving a team of four Belgians with a plow. Not a "show" or an "event". It was a family owned working farm.

Here's this "kid" mastering four horses that weigh about 1800 pounds each, all much taller then him, and are strong as all hell.

Plowing lines straight as an edge...making it look like like nothing.

That is a memory that still sticks in my soul and a lesson that while much is ballyhooed about how much is "gained" in the "modern" world, there is much that has been dismissed.

Perhaps it is part of why I honestly have difficulty appreciating friends telling me how hard their kids are working and how good they are at ball games.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Been wanting to start this thread for a while. Hope there is interest. Please post tractors and other farm equipment or related photos.

All the posts of mine through post 13 are as close of pictures of the tractors I ran on the family farms, except post #2 which is one of my all time favorite models, just big iron and bull strong. I tried to find pics with the same cabs, fenders, and other accessories as we had.

So here we go…
    I follow this guy for his farming videos. He has restored at least 2 red tractors since I've been following him.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Looks great! How is the strait pipe? I want one, but I wear ear plugs on mine with a muffler as it is.
    I love the straight pipe but it’s loud especially when mowing hay. But I wouldn't have it any other way! I just put in ear plugs and get to work.

Top Bottom