Classic Car Pics. Yours not yours, all things cool or not so cool.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bignotti was very good at reading and understanding the rule book as were some others. Remember this one?View attachment 200833
    Oh yes. The original engine to this design was developed by Butch Meyers at the Menards engine development shop. He had it running and making monster power but oiling problems and development money/time had it set aside to work on the Buicks Menards ran. I saw the original a few times on the Dyno when he was trying to solve the scavenger issues. He we sure going with the same pump as the Buicks used would solve it but he ran out of time.

In the pic you can see the improved scavenge pump.

Penske knew of the engine and made a serious offer to buy the rights to it. The rule stretch was the short pushrod in the head which in effect made it into a "Pushrod" engine and allowed the same rules benefits as the Buick received.

Nissan did this same thing in the IMSA GTP series to compete with the Hendricks Corvette.

Oh I long for those days of innovations and rules stretching....:):

Last edited:

mikek

What, Me Worry??
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 24, 2019
    mooresville
    View attachment 200812View attachment 200813
    View attachment 200814
    View attachment 200815
    Sold this ‘78 in Sept ‘18. 42K mileage. 2nd owner. Nice car but lacking HP thanks to
    energy crunch/gov’t mandates.

View attachment 200816

‘82. 3rd owner & and in need of MUCH work when I acquired it. A younger brother owned it when he passed away. He passed in ‘92 and it sat for years. I got my grubby hands on it as a project and what a project it was. Worked on it off and on in spare moments for several years. Always loved the body style and color combo but… Da*m GM’s crossfire and early computer system sucked to the max. Finally got it done. Sold it in Sept. ‘18.

View attachment 200819
    View attachment 200820
    View attachment 200822

All old pix. ‘73 originally hated by many Vette guys because of chrome rear bumper and front gov’t mandated 5mph crash resistant front bumper. The beginning of the downward spiral in HP although have over hauled it and it runs pretty good. 113K. Been mostly in storage and for several years. Last time driven was in ‘20. Had plans for it to be my next project but age, medical, etc. has made me change my mind. Coming out of storage this week ( I think ). Little work, detail, etc. then up for sale as is. Pretty much done turning wrenches.

Had a thing for C3’s but over it. Not classics but…Had an ‘11 C6 Vert for several years. Traded it in February for a ‘17 C7 GS Vert. The C8s do not trip my trigger. Difference going from C3 to C6 was unbelievable. Jump from C6 to C7 blew my mind. I still love the 60’s and 70’s classic muscle cars but man do I LOVE driving my “new” modern toy. And the bonus ( to my body ) is I can’t work on it myself.

Nice

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    One oldie - and unique - I had but no pics, wish there were. Late ‘60s I bought a non running’44 Harley Servi-car.
    45 flat head
    Suicide shift
    Foot clutch
    Solid suspension.
    Stripped it down, overhauled motor,clutch, went over the basic bike and fixed, repaired, etc. most everything. Put Ford chrome rims & tires on it. 2 Flex pipes to the rear with chrome pipes angled upward at 45*s. Made heavy clamps that attached to rear axle and built/attached fenders and box for rear. Painted it candy apple red. No mufflers so “unique” sound. 45 wasn’t a powerhouse, shifting took some practice, and solid suspension made for a rather uncomfortable ride at times. But got a lot of looks and it was a hoot to use cruising for !

Owned it, a ‘54 HD, a ‘65 Chevelle, & a basically new Monte Carlo when decided to get married. The 3 wheeler and Chevelle were sold and I bought on old IH pick up. 3 or 4 years later wife was a stay at home Mom and pg with 2nd son…the ‘54 HD was sold. Brings a tear to my eye. I was toyless for quite a few years.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh yes. The original engine to this design was developed by Butch Meyers at the Menards engine development shop. He had it running and making monster power but oiling problems and development money/time had it set aside to work on the Buicks Menards ran. I saw the original a few times on the Dyno when he was trying to solve the scavenger issues. He we sure going with the same pump as the Buicks used would solve it but he ran out of time.

In the pic you can see the improved scavenge pump.

Penske knew of the engine and made a serious offer to buy the rights to it. The rule stretch was the short pushrod in the head which in effect made it into a "Pushrod" engine and allowed the same rules benefits as the Buick received.

Nissan did this same thing in the IMSA GTP series to compete with the Hendricks Corvette.

Oh I long for those days of innovations and rules stretching....:):
    The Hendricks GMGoodwrench GTP Corvette.
    bQgwy1a.jpg

xjP5c0B.jpg

Reactions: Leo

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One oldie - and unique - I had but no pics, wish there were. Late ‘60s I bought a non running’44 Harley Servi-car.
    45 flat head
    Suicide shift
    Foot clutch
    Solid suspension.
    Stripped it down, overhauled motor,clutch, went over the basic bike and fixed, repaired, etc. most everything. Put Ford chrome rims & tires on it. 2 Flex pipes to the rear with chrome pipes angled upward at 45*s. Made heavy clamps that attached to rear axle and built/attached fenders and box for rear. Painted it candy apple red. No mufflers so “unique” sound. 45 wasn’t a powerhouse, shifting took some practice, and solid suspension made for a rather uncomfortable ride at times. But got a lot of looks and it was a hoot to use cruising for !

Owned it, a ‘54 HD, a ‘65 Chevelle, & a basically new Monte Carlo when decided to get married. The 3 wheeler and Chevelle were sold and I bought on old IH pick up. 3 or 4 years later wife was a stay at home Mom and pg with 2nd son…the ‘54 HD was sold. Brings a tear to my eye
    Man I feel your pain. More than once I have had to sell my toys to keep food in the fridge in times of shortfalls.
    2 kids at home. Ex raised my support so she could go to school and I could not argue if she succeeded and would improve the kids life. My work slowed to ridiculously low levels with an economy bubble and the spouse had to change jobs because the bank she worked at (AFNB if you remember them) was sold to bank one and the operations computer center she was a manager at was moved to Columbus Ohio. She had to start over with Bank One. So I sold my 61 Biscayne bubble top. It was 80% done. Sold my 69 Camaro drop top that was an original pace car I bought near totaled and rebuilt it. Not to pace car specs but a nice car. Sold my 1950 Chevy pick up truck that was a project and in pieces. That got us through that troubled time but man did I cry. Literally.
    This is the Camaro. Can’t find the pics of the 61.
    5C1A89C8-F88A-4178-9FF9-F413064924F1.jpeg

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    View attachment 200812View attachment 200813
    View attachment 200814
    View attachment 200815
    Sold this ‘78 in Sept ‘18. 42K mileage. 2nd owner. Nice car but lacking HP thanks to
    energy crunch/gov’t mandates.

View attachment 200816

‘82. 3rd owner & and in need of MUCH work when I acquired it. A younger brother owned it when he passed away. He passed in ‘92 and it sat for years. I got my grubby hands on it as a project and what a project it was. Worked on it off and on in spare moments for several years. Always loved the body style and color combo but… Da*m GM’s crossfire and early computer system sucked to the max. Finally got it done. Sold it in Sept. ‘18.

View attachment 200819
    View attachment 200820
    View attachment 200822

All old pix. ‘73 originally hated by many Vette guys because of chrome rear bumper and front gov’t mandated 5mph crash resistant front bumper. The beginning of the downward spiral in HP although have over hauled it and it runs pretty good. 113K. Been mostly in storage and for several years. Last time driven was in ‘20. Had plans for it to be my next project but age, medical, etc. has made me change my mind. Coming out of storage this week ( I think ). Little work, detail, etc. then up for sale as is. Pretty much done turning wrenches.

Had a thing for C3’s but over it. Not classics but…Had an ‘11 C6 Vert for several years. Traded it in February for a ‘17 C7 GS Vert. The C8s do not trip my trigger. Difference going from C3 to C6 was unbelievable. Jump from C6 to C7 blew my mind. I still love the 60’s and 70’s classic muscle cars but man do I LOVE driving my “new” modern toy. And the bonus ( to my body ) is I can’t work on it myself.
    Nice, but they're all autos:scratch:. If there ever was a car meant to have a 3rd pedal it is a Corvette!

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Man I feel your pain. More than once I have had to sell my toys to keep food in the fridge in times of shortfalls.
    2 kids at home. Ex raised my support so she could go to school and I could not argue if she succeeded and would improve the kids life. My work slowed to ridiculously low levels with an economy bubble and the spouse had to change jobs because the bank she worked at (AFNB if you remember them) was sold to bank one and the operations computer center she was a manager at was moved to Columbus Ohio. She had to start over with Bank One. So I sold my 61 Biscayne bubble top. It was 80% done. Sold my 69 Camaro drop top that was an original pace car I bought near totaled and rebuilt it. Not to pace car specs but a nice car. Sold my 1950 Chevy pick up truck that was a project and in pieces. That got us through that troubled time but man did I cry. Literally.
    This is the Camaro. Can’t find the pics of the 61.
    View attachment 200846

Totally get it. And I feel your pain. Thing is, we both did what we had to do. No freebies or hand outs, no crying that it is just not fair & I deserve better. We accepted the weight on our shoulders and dealt with it. I was VERY fortunate in my final choice of women. October will be 54 years since first date. November will be 51 of marriage. So none of the problems with an X or 2. Wife “problems”, yes with 1 very ruff patch that lucky didn’t split us. But she grew up Mennonite so tight with $. Very conservative in all ways and well grounded. Great mother. Pregnant when we got married and I was trying to build a farming career. Needed every penny. Went thru a period of several years supporting my parents and 2 brothers as well as my family. Was not a great time. But she has walked by my side thru the entire journey.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Nice, but they're all autos:scratch:. If there ever was a car meant to have a 3rd pedal it is a Corvette!

Yes I agree but due to conditions of my knees, other than farm & industrial equipment, semi tractors, no clutches for me last several decades…and those required depressing a clutch very little. Power shifts, hydrostatic, automatic for the win. To be honest don’t miss 3 pedals all that much, except occasionally. Don’t know my human that can manually match shift speed of my C6 and C7 autos . Paddles are interesting change of pace at times and computer will not allow “bad” shifts.

To each their own. Cheers !

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Totally get it. And I feel your pain. Thing is, we both did what we had to do. No freebies or hand outs, no crying that it is just not fair & I deserve better. We accepted the weight on our shoulders and dealt with it. I was VERY fortunate in my final choice of women. October will be 54 years since first date. November will be 51 of marriage. So none of the problems with an X or 2. Wife “problems”, yes with 1 very ruff patch that lucky didn’t split us. But she grew up Mennonite so tight with $. Very conservative in all ways and well grounded. Great mother. Pregnant when we got married and I was trying to build a farming career. Needed every penny. Went thru a period of several years supporting my parents and 2 brothers as well as my family. Was not a great time. But she has walked by my side thru the entire journey.
    Sounds like CKW. God saw fit to pair us up in a very angry time in my life. She is my Angel.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes I agree but due to conditions of my knees, other than farm & industrial equipment, semi tractors, no clutches for me last several decades…and those required depressing a clutch very little. Power shifts, hydrostatic, automatic for the win. To be honest don’t miss 3 pedals all that much, except occasionally. Don’t know my human that can manually match shift speed of my C6 and C7 autos . Paddles are interesting change of pace at times and computer will not allow “bad” shifts.

To each their own. Cheers !
    In my prime I would take that bet. My skills with a 3 peddle car spanned decades and more passes (street/track) than I can even begin to count. I was pretty quick.
    Especially with my clutch less liberty boxes..:):

In my brief attempts at SCCA events I struggled a bit on a road course. My rock ape shifting style was a detriment out there among the gentleman racers.
    67 Corvette. 350 HP 3 peddles. Yeah I sucked.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    In my prime I would take that bet. My skills with a 3 peddle car spanned decades and more passes (street/track) than I can even begin to count. I was pretty quick.
    Especially with my clutch less liberty boxes..:):

In my brief attempts at SCCA events I struggled a bit on a road course. My rock ape shifting style was a detriment out there among the gentleman racers.
    67 Corvette. 350 HP 3 peddles. Yeah I sucked.

My only racing was street and I never lost. But smart enough to pick my battles.

Understand. Point taken. My point of reference was us lowly amateurs. But I have to say todays electronically controlled things are amazing to me…coming from products used, owned, driven in my youth and young adulthood. Like GPS guidance self driving machinery, computerized programs planting crops while making adjustments on the go, harvesting equipment adjusting speed & settings on the go for max proficiency, etc. I schooled in computer programming in 70, 71. And operated things with engines my entire life. Todays stuff just blows my mind.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My only racing was street and I never lost. But smart enough to pick my battles.

Understand. Point taken. My point of reference was us lowly amateurs. But I have to say todays electronically controlled things are amazing to me…coming from products used, owned, driven in my youth and young adulthood. Like GPS guidance self driving machinery, computerized programs planting crops while making adjustments on the go, harvesting equipment adjusting speed & settings on the go for max proficiency, etc. I schooled in computer programming in 70, 71. And operated things with engines my entire life. Todays stuff just blows my mind.
    It makes my head spin.
    A friend rolled up in his new Vette a few years ago and he put me in the seat of power. I found very quickly that the car made decisions on what gear you were shifting into based on wheel speed/throttle position etc and so on.
    Felt weird to me. On a wide open aggressive pass it was balls out and I do not like traction control. I do not like it.

The pic of the race car (Vette) was a GM Good Wrench test bed for the gen II ECU's that controlled the early to mid 90's GM cars. It had 3 pretty large computers on board. It also tested TPS controls and a few other satellite functions related to the ECU packages. The GM engineers were at most every race with their gear and extra computers that we changed out during practice. With 2 cars and 4 drivers (endurance racing driver changes mandatory) we got pretty good with the cannon plugs and board changes. They tweaked stuff as we went through our race prep. We even tested active suspension at 3 different races. That was nuts. After a long day and back to the hotel/shower/restaurant and then beers the conversations we had were amazing. Sitting with Ryan Falconer and Herb Fischelle (Sp) and his engineers was a treat.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It makes my head spin.
    A friend rolled up in his new Vette a few years ago and he put me in the seat of power. I found very quickly that the car made decisions on what gear you were shifting into based on wheel speed/throttle position etc and so on.
    Felt weird to me. On a wide open aggressive pass it was balls out and I do not like traction control. I do not like it.

The pic of the race car (Vette) was a GM Good Wrench test bed for the gen II ECU's that controlled the early to mid 90's GM cars. It had 3 pretty large computers on board. It also tested TPS controls and a few other satellite functions related to the ECU packages. The GM engineers were at most every race with their gear and extra computers that we changed out during practice. With 2 cars and 4 drivers (endurance racing driver changes mandatory) we got pretty good with the cannon plugs and board changes. They tweaked stuff as we went through our race prep. We even tested active suspension at 3 different races. That was nuts. After a long day and back to the hotel/shower/restaurant and then beers the conversations we had were amazing. Sitting with Ryan Falconer and Herb Fischelle (Sp) and his engineers was a treat.
    It's amazing how advanced that technology was compared to old school carbs and points ignition systems etc. But then to think of where cars are at now and where they will go technologically, really is mind blowing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom