• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThoughPolice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    If I had an Indiana Class 3 Stamp Tax could I take a silencer or fully auto rifle to say a Michigan gun range? (I live right on the boarder of Mi and In) Or would this be more of a question for the Michigan state police?

Thank you

Longshot308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Westfield, In
    It was not that long ago that you could not have any machinegun in Mi. I believe they then allowed C&R. Best bet would be to contact a class 3 dealer in Mi. and ask them.

prebans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Michigan is anti-Class III. It's one of the few things I dislike about the state.

Not completely true.

Michigan allows ALL machine guns, C&R and modern. They're also fine with all AOWs. Everything else depends.

Silencers: Illegal.

SBRs and SBSes: C&R are fine. Modern ones are illegal. So yes, an AR15 SBR is totally illegal but a 11.5" M16 is totally legal.

Destructive Devices: All are fine unless it's a short (below 18" barrel and/or 26" overall length) shotgun-based destructive device. This is because items like the Streetsweeper, Striker-12, and USAS-12 are "non-sporting" shotguns and thus apply under the shotgun law. AOWs are not shotguns and, just as in Indiana, are exempted.

There is one final issue if you are moving to Michigan. Remember that they register pistols and that they measure length with the stock in its smallest / collapsed / closed position. The feds and all states aside from CA measure with the stock open or otherwise in its fullest position. Thus, an otherwise okay Title I long gun underfolding semiauto AK must be registered as a handgun in Michigan. This can also affect NFA weapons. While I do not believe that it affects visitors, it can affect residents. Multiple Michiganders (yup, they're called that) report multiple different rules from their different local county sheriffs. Call first and get it in writing if you can!

Mike
    Distinction Arms, FFL/SOT

Last edited:
    Top Bottom