Props to the Babylon Bee

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    While we’re talking podcasts here, Fr. Mike Schmitz (Ascension Media) started a “Bible in a Year” podcast and it’s been really fantastic. The commentary from him (and Jeff Cavins) has been stellar. I’m finally absorbing and understanding the Bible. Listening to this daily has been a real treat. The actual Bible reading starts a few episodes into the podcast but here’s a link to the very kick off of announcing it. We’re early in the year, so catching up isn’t very daunting. Even if you’re not a Catholic, this is great stuff. You can subscribe to the podcast through all the usual means or just click from day to day and listen within a web browser. Each day is about 20 minutes and it goes by quickly. I read along in the same Bible on Kindle. Now I know how to pronounce all those crazy names in the Old Testament!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Since when did prophecy just become predicting future events?
    And these "prophets" fail when it's a 50/50 proposition.

And why do people think that God can't work unless their man is in the WH?

It's a long video, but these guys do a lot to point out the charlatans. And the title cards are clickbait-y, but the guy is a good Minnesotan Lutheran, so...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wow. Just wow... and a hard no.
    https://patriotchurchmovement.org/home

...which kind of nicely dovetails into this report from Lifeway (SBC's publishing arm):
    https://lifewayresearch.com/2021/01...s-hear-conspiracy-theories-in-their-churches/

And, I'm really loving the Holy Post podcast! Another one I listen to is Holy Smoke, which is much, much drier.
    I can't say any of this is surprising.

I will say generally that if the church has any stated goal beyond worshipping and glorifying God (in all the forms that can take), it will turn pharisaical pretty quickly, or is already. They are apparently requiring people to have beliefs and do things that the Bible says nothing about in order to be acceptable.

A hard "no" from me as well.

While I firmly believe that pastors and churches should freely speak about subject matter that intersects with politics when they do so from a thoroughly biblical perspective, I have a real issue with it being overtly partisan. Preach the Word and let people figure out their politics for themselves.

2020 has been a tough year for church unity as many church members seem to be more interested in masks or not and Trump and election issues than the Gospel and unity.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom