• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This has gotten out of hand. Read the park directors comments....

Council amends law to allow firearms in parks, pending final approval | WANE

I was disappointed to find that state parks pull this crap as well. The wife and I were visiting Turkey Run State Park on Saturday and picked up one of the brochures to figure out what trails to hike on. One section had the park rules and number 2 was that firearms were prohibited. Talked to a park ranger and he stated that all parks were that way and even the rangers weren't allowed to carry. Checked handgunlaw.us to verify and of course it's perfectly legal to carry in the park, so the wife and I both CC'd with no problem. :rolleyes:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I was disappointed to find that state parks pull this crap as well. The wife and I were visiting Turkey Run State Park on Saturday and picked up one of the brochures to figure out what trails to hike on. One section had the park rules and number 2 was that firearms were prohibited. Talked to a park ranger and he stated that all parks were that way and even the rangers weren't allowed to carry. Checked handgunlaw.us to verify and of course it's perfectly legal to carry in the park, so the wife and I both CC'd with no problem. :rolleyes:
    They need to print updated flyers. The DNR has been pro-carry for several years now.
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/files/turkey_run_trail.pdf
    See the second bullet under "Rules"

The only State Parks that are "off limits" are those that are actually Army Corp of Engineers properties or those that are really Museum and Historic Sites (who follow their own rules, not the DNR's).

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

The "rangers" at the State Parks cannot carry because it's a term of their employment - not due to any law/rule.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    None of us will get off our a***s long enough to actually do anything. Maybe if we hire Shannie Watts to organize us.

Actually If It requires any walking at all, I'm OUT.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle

I was at Turkey Run about a month ago. I started out concealed. However, after getting on the wrong trail and getting stuck in green humid hell, it was open carry all the way back to the parking lot. Nobody said anything, although I know several people noticed I was armed.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    I also saw that on the news last night.. open carry event anyone.??. wonder if there could be a big payday for someone like a similar event at the Evansville zoo a few years back..?? And per the news it sounds like the city knows the ordinance has been made void by state law but still chooses to write citations.. genius...

I've come across this before. The hope is that you're ignorant to state law. After all, who knows the law better than the Gooberment? Its just additional revenue for the city coffers and if you call them out on it, they just go "Whoops!
    My bad," and drop the ticket. Otherwise, they get money and you leave your gun at home. Win-win for them.

Best thing for folks to do is educate themselves. Stay current on rulings and laws, and exercise your rights.

Top Bottom