• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Chicago is just another example of what happens to a state which has a "metropolis" in it. The concentrated population of Chicago, like New York City, Detroit, Los Angeles, Seattle/Tacoma, etc. gives them far more influence than their geographic boundaries would indicate when it comes to the politics of their respective states. Chicago's machine isn't much different, when all's said, from what happens in New York City or Detroit year after year. As political parties become entrenched, their power grows; as population concentrations increase, political influence throughout the state grows. If the Indy Metro area hadn't experienced a major demographic shift in the past 15 years, we'd have seen more evidence that entrenched Republicans can be just a corrupt as Democrats.

It's difficult to see how such situations can be remedied without totally revamping the ways our governments are put together. About the best we can hope for is some catastophe to wipe out a particular local government so something newer has the opportunity to take its place. However, all one has to do is look at Russia's history for the past 20 years to see the truth in the paraphrase: "it's easier to level a mountain than to change a habit of thought."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Chicago is just another example of what happens to a state which has a "metropolis" in it. The concentrated population of Chicago, like New York City, Detroit, Los Angeles, Seattle/Tacoma, etc. gives them far more influence than their geographic boundaries would indicate when it comes to the politics of their respective states. Chicago's machine isn't much different, when all's said, from what happens in New York City or Detroit year after year. As political parties become entrenched, their power grows; as population concentrations increase, political influence throughout the state grows. If the Indy Metro area hadn't experienced a major demographic shift in the past 15 years, we'd have seen more evidence that entrenched Republicans can be just a corrupt as Democrats.

It's difficult to see how such situations can be remedied without totally revamping the ways our governments are put together. About the best we can hope for is some catastophe to wipe out a particular local government so something newer has the opportunity to take its place. However, all one has to do is look at Russia's history for the past 20 years to see the truth in the paraphrase: "it's easier to level a mountain than to change a habit of thought."

Perfect! This is why I believe that state legislatures should be formed like congress with one house be population and one house having one member from each county. That would prevent situations like Cook County running the entire state of Illinois to the great detriment of the good folks of downstate Illinois.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Chicago values:
    Shoot thy neighbor before he shoots you.
    Shoot little girls Oh Rham said that is not Chiga values, so why does it happen time and again?
    Steal
    Sell drugs
    Use drugs
    Live together out of wedlock
    Have children out of wedlock
    Live on the public dime
    Gang up on old folks up town
    Do unspeakable things in public during your Chicago pride parade
    Threaten private business with sanctions because of unfree speech
    Give no bid contracts to family and cronies
    Al Capone, #1 Chi Hero, died of syphlis of the mouth in prison

I know there is much more but i' going to bed.

One last thing, when questioned about patronage and nepotism, Mayor Richard J. Daley, the first mayor Daley said "what kind of a man would I be if I didn't take care if my kin"?.

Top Bottom