• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I read about Walmart closing some time ago and why. Walmart was not unable to make a profit Walmart had lost around $8,000,000.00 over five years. Jim.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I think this about sums it up.
    “Take all the problems private chains face in low-income areas, then add in amateur management by a bureaucracy, Chicago-style political corruption in hiring and contracting, and a limited range of products,” said Steve Boulton, the chairman of the Chicago Republican Party.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Yep, the old Soviet-owned "department stores" called GUM.
    Hehe, bought a big fur hat there decades ago.

Only way I've seen this come close to working is when the .gov gives the space, or substantially subsidizes the rent, to an operating private grocery entity to make it worthwhile for the operation. But by working I do not mean right or sustainable for the long haul.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I liked my big fur hat, but still sold it. As if politicians in Chitcago weren't stealing enough already.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Another money maker for the machine. Connected food wholesalers in Chicago sell the groceries to the city at vastly inflated prices, kicking back part of this largess to the machine. Taxes and of course federal funds subsidize the difference including operating costs to sell the products at a loss, compensate for shoplifting, and the inevitable niagra of slip and fall claims ginned up by local law firms.

Lots of fanfare about equity and various celebrities will accompany the opening, but as time moves on these places will become pest holes run by gangs and incompetent city non profits. After a few sensational stories on the news about greedy wholesalers selling old or contaminated food and or a big gang shootout between rival factions that kills bystanders, the program will fade away. Like Cabrini Green, the "people's grocery" will join the pile of expensive rubble as the machine moves on to the next scam.

Keep pulling those blue levers!

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I can only imagine they will end up looking like the secure liquor stores where the cashier/attendant gets everything (b/c there will only be one brand of anything to save costs,) you pay & then receive your groceries.

I imagine this will be called racist by all the usual suspects.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Another money maker for the machine. Connected food wholesalers in Chicago sell the groceries to the city at vastly inflated prices, kicking back part of this largess to the machine. Taxes and of course federal funds subsidize the difference including operating costs to sell the products at a loss, compensate for shoplifting, and the inevitable niagra of slip and fall claims ginned up by local law firms.

Lots of fanfare about equity and various celebrities will accompany the opening, but as time moves on these places will become pest holes run by gangs and incompetent city non profits. After a few sensational stories on the news about greedy wholesalers selling old or contaminated food and or a big gang shootout between rival factions that kills bystanders, the program will fade away. Like Cabrini Green, the "people's grocery" will join the pile of expensive rubble as the machine moves on to the next scam.

Keep pulling those blue levers!
    Alternate take:

"Aldi surpasses Boeing as #1 Government Contractor"

"...Eat our Dust, Sam Walton."

Top Bottom