• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm in the market for a suitable upgrade that doesn't exist and expressing my disappointment in this new offering...
    But they haven't had what you desire for almost 10 years now.
    Thinking they're going to make the new one to fit your needs is not a good plan.

Like I said, Ford has what you're describing if you're in the market, unless you're trying to stay brand loyal for some reason.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    When I read the title, I was thinking a new 2500 Suburban Duramax. Those were/are nice.

That's a lot of expensive to pull 8k. My old 4.3 S10 is rated to pull 5k...

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Everyone here talking about towing numbers forgets two things

1.almost no one tow heavily regularly
    2. The primary target audience of the Chevy suburban is government agencies and soccer moms. Neither one of them care about towing. They only care about fuel efficiency.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany

2. The primary target audience of the Chevy suburban is government agencies and soccer moms. Neither one of them care about towing. They only care about fuel efficiency.

IMO there's a market for a family hauler that can also (legally)(competently) pull a decent-sized travel trailer, or horse trailer, or a good sized boat, etc. The Ford Excursion secondary market is a great example of the demand that exists.

Would it be niche? Yes.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The reviews of the new Suburban diesel don't sound encouraging to those of us who tow big outfits. 8000 lbs are the limits I read. That will not tow a big boat, fully loaded two horse trailer or the big Airstream's. My old 2005 pulls 12,000 lbs for comparison. WTF? Putting a diesel in it and they don't let it tow more than a grocery getter...

They have made the decision that people who want to tow seriously will do so with a 2500 or 3500 pickup...and the numbers bear that out. That's why they stopped making the HD Suburbans. They may have been the perfect solution for many, but not enough.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

This is currently correct but that is because they left the the big boat, RV, and horse trailer folks behind I suspect as I said above, because it wasn't cost effective to build a stand alone 2500 Suburban when the body no longer fit on the truck frames...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They have made the decision that people who want to tow seriously will do so with a 2500 or 3500 pickup...and the numbers bear that out. That's why they stopped making the HD Suburbans. They may have been the perfect solution for many, but not enough.

I believe they forced the Suburban tow buyer to trucks, not that the buyer chose to forsake them. I know several that still want them and as above the refurb business is booming. Just try to buy a diesel Excursion...

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I realize a lot of people have issues with the Ram, but if you want to tow, get a Cummins Turbo diesel.

This.

We love my wifes Hemi Ram 1500 and when I need a new shop truck I am going with a dually Ram. Have had Fords the last 10 years, just not a fan of the new 6.7 diesels.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    About a year or two ago on another forum someone linked genuine factory special order 1 ton SRW Suburbans that were a few years old up for auction. They were selling for well over 60K . IIRC they were from a government agency, all were painted black.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    IMO there's a market for a family hauler that can also (legally)(competently) pull a decent-sized travel trailer, or horse trailer, or a good sized boat, etc. The Ford Excursion secondary market is a great example of the demand that exists.

Would it be niche? Yes.

If they put a real diesel in an excursion, or suburban, I'd by Vin number 00000000001.

My camper weight is 11,800. Me, wife, 2 kids camp. We like taking the dogs, but can only do so when we camp close enough to home for the wife to drive separately. No way I can fit 4 people, and 300 pounds of dog in my dually.

Also no way I'm paying 70k for a suburban, them another 60k for a duraburb conversion.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was wondering until I saw that the Duramax Diesel in the Suburban in the story is only a 3 Liter 6 cylinder.
    I have the turbocharged 6.6L V8 Duramax in my 2015 3/4 ton HD 2500 FWD and it's rated to tow 13,000 lbs and has a 6 speed Allison transmission.
    It doesn't have any trouble towing.

Top Bottom