• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The reviews of the new Suburban diesel don't sound encouraging to those of us who tow big outfits. 8000 lbs are the limits I read. That will not tow a big boat, fully loaded two horse trailer or the big Airstream's. My old 2005 pulls 12,000 lbs for comparison. WTF? Putting a diesel in it and they don't let it tow more than a grocery getter...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is this a combo of drive train and suspension short falls. Hell my 04 heavy half ton GMC 4WD towed an enclosed race trailer that’s called at 7600 if memory serves and did a stellar job.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I realize a lot of people have issues with the Ram, but if you want to tow, get a Cummins Turbo diesel.

The Ram trucks with Cummins diesel have been stellar for my family. Last year my brother bought a new 3500 to replace his 2500 that had over 500,000 miles on it. The value of the 2500 was so low that he kept it to do dirty jobs so it still is doing hard work. (It plowed snow for many years as well as towing all over the country.)

My Suburban 2500 has towed all over the eastern half the US, much of it at above 10,000 lbs and is still suitable to haul clients in for business appointments. It has over 200,000 miles itself. (Though I will concede attitudes have changed towards trucks today from the 90's and business use with customers.)

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The reviews of the new Suburban diesel don't sound encouraging to those of us who tow big outfits. 8000 lbs are the limits I read. That will not tow a big boat, fully loaded two horse trailer or the big Airstream's. My old 2005 pulls 12,000 lbs for comparison. WTF? Putting a diesel in it and they don't let it tow more than a grocery getter...

This is a suburban with a 3.0l the ratings are going to take a hit, because of the weight and lower torque of the smaller engine.

Handicapping a 6000lb plus vehicle with the smaller diesel is what doesn't make sense, but then again GM has been doing foolish things for awhile now.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The Ford Excursion has the 6.7 available I believe. If you are looking for something to compare to the Suburban of the past, that's where I would start. I haven't looked, but would assume it will be rated substantially higher than a 3.0 Suburban.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Only way your going to get what you want is to have a Duraburb made for ya.

I have read about shops that do frame off restorations of Suburban's and Excursion's. Send your truck, (usually worth about $20k) and for around $30-$40k they will send you back a brand new truck. They replace everything to make it new and the price ends up at a the price of these weakling new ones. Some will even update to a new dash with al the bells and whistles of new vehicles...

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have read about shops that do frame off restorations of Suburban's and Excursion's. Send your truck, (usually worth about $20k) and for around $30-$40k they will send you back a brand new truck. They replace everything to make it new and the price ends up at a the price of these weakling new ones. Some will even update to a new dash with al the bells and whistles of new vehicles...
    I've said for awhile now that I would buy an older model and full rebuild if I was in the market for a truck. As long as rust hasn't gotten ahold of it. A square body suburban with Duramax drivetrain would be money well spent, but people love the whizbangs and gadgets all the new vehicles have. Hell I would even go OBS years.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've said for awhile now that I would buy an older model and full rebuild if I was in the market for a truck. As long as rust hasn't gotten ahold of it. A square body suburban with Duramax drivetrain would be money well spent, but people love the whizbangs and gadgets all the new vehicles have. Hell I would even go OBS years.

I just would want the 2500-3500 drivetrain in my sub...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have thought about if the reason the 2500 Suburban ceased to exist is because after about 08 the suburban body could no longer just be put on a 2500 truck chassis?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah these 3.0l dmaxs aren’t real towing centric, i think theyre more for fuel milage. If you want to do actual towing with one i would get one outfitted with a 6.2 gas.
    You're describing the older Excursion with the 7.3.
    Are you trying to stay brand loyal?
    If not start hunting the south, they're available.

I already have a 2500 Suburban that runs great. Just looking tired and has a couple of rust spots...

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    We're not really comparing a half ton diesel with a HD diesel, are we???

The 3.0L has the same 460ft/lb of torque as the 6.2L, but gets it at 1500rpm vs. 4100rpm in the L87. A 4WD 2021 Suburban with Max Trailering Package is spec'd to tow 7800lb; a 6.2L Suburban with Max Trailering package has a tow rating just 100lb higher at 7900lb, but with the same 14.5k GCWR.

Clearly C&D thinks the Babymax blends well with the 'burban.

And let's be honest, you're gonna gross out a large SUV with occupants/crap/tongue weight well before you get to your max tow rating.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We're not really comparing a half ton diesel with a HD diesel, are we???

The 3.0L has the same 460ft/lb of torque as the 6.2L, but gets it at 1500rpm vs. 4100rpm in the L87. Clearly C&D thinks the Babymax blends well with the 'burban.
    I'm not. I'm comparing my 2500 Suburban to the new diesel one and finding it lacking after years of wishing for one...

Top Bottom