• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Cheran: The town that threw out police, politicians and gangsters - BBC News

Interesting article about a town that essentially formed a militia and threw out the organized criminal elements, fired the police, and made political parties illegal. Its kind of a microcosm of what many people say they want for the U.S. under the idea of an armed society is a polite society and government by the people (barring major crimes that still go to an legal entity). It also discussed armed checkpoints at all vehicular entry points to the town, which is probably helpful but a little comical in that--at a glance--it appears to be the definition of a police-state, unless you see its self-driven I guess. Interesting place, at any rate.

.....all I know for sure is its doomed to fail if this joker can't get his rifle at 45 degrees.
    _91884239_paraderehearsal4.jpg

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    It also discussed armed checkpoints at all vehicular entry points to the town, which is probably helpful but a little comical in that--at a glance--it appears to be the definition of a police-state, unless you see its self-driven I guess.

It is perfectly rational and locally-backed defense tactic to combat some of the worst that exists in a society that has little rule of law. It is a way to greatly reduce the chance of organized crime reentering their town and apparently has worked for 5+ years now. Good for them.

In the communities around Cheran - not even 10km away - stories of kidnap, extortion and murder are commonplace.

"In Cheran, I feel safe because I can walk the streets at night, and I don't fear that something's going to happen," says Melissa.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is one of those double-edged swords. Sure, the reduction of crime and protection of the natural habitat is great, but at what cost?

Everyone searched. All incoming vehicles questioned. You can't form a political party, what about a political organization like the NRA, or a workers union? This appears to be a somewhat benevolent [STRIKE]dictatorship[/STRIKE] oligarchy - for now.

I readily admit they were in an extreme situation that required (and may still require) extreme response, but eventually things will need to move toward protecting rights as well as property and life.

Groupthink can be a very dangerous machine if left unchecked.

I am very glad to see that these people have taken up arms and driven out crime and corruption, but I do worry about the cost in rights and liberties.

Regards,

Doug

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    This is one of those double-edged swords. Sure, the reduction of crime and protection of the natural habitat is great, but at what cost?

Everyone searched. All incoming vehicles questioned. You can't form a political party, what about a political organization like the NRA, or a workers union? This appears to be a somewhat benevolent [STRIKE]dictatorship[/STRIKE] oligarchy - for now.

I readily admit they were in an extreme situation that required (and may still require) extreme response, but eventually things will need to move toward protecting rights as well as property and life.

Groupthink can be a very dangerous machine if left unchecked.

I am very glad to see that these people have taken up arms and driven out crime and corruption, but I do worry about the cost in rights and liberties.

Regards,

Doug

Damned difficult line to walk. Sometimes balance is hard to find.

Extreme circumstances may require extreme reactions.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

The eventually is entirely out of their hands. Based strictly on that one article, they've carved out a relatively peaceful and safe area in a much larger, more dangerous region. Letting down their guard would be as stupid as not enforcing the southern border of the US...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I mexico it's sometimes hard to tell the gangsters from the police and political leadership.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Damned difficult line to walk. Sometimes balance is hard to find.

Extreme circumstances may require extreme reactions.
    I'm going to go with this conclusion.

I'd say if we compared the subjugation of the narcogangs versus the subjugation of the self-imposed militia system that the militia system leads to an overall gain in individual freedom.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I'm going to go with this conclusion.

I'd say if we compared the subjugation of the narcogangs versus the subjugation of the self-imposed militia system that the militia system leads to an overall gain in individual freedom.

Or least a reduction of the violence used against perceived offenders

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    If you haven't seen it, find and watch 'Cartel Land'. Documentary on Dr. Jose Mirales, M.D. who started the 'Autodefensas' movement in Oaxaca state that spread through much of Mexico. The documentary was produced by the same person who did Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty. Very interesting, engaging character development and a few twists & turns along the way. It's a documentary, not a dramatized account of a true story.

Top Bottom