• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I ran to the supermarket tonight because I felt like having some rum, and, well, I was out.

Got to browsing the selections, and down on the bottom there was 1.75L of spiced rum for about half of what 1.75L of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum runs.

It was in a plastic jug.

I grabbed it, took it up to the front register where I had noticed, on the way in, that a couple teenagers were working. I figured they would be good sources of info as my teenage years consisted solely of beer and Jose Quervo.

They had never had it, so I went back, put it back on the shelf, and grabbed some Bacardi, which I'd been meaning to try out. I'm finding it's not quite as refined as Captain Morgan, not quite as smooth, but it is pretty good.

They also had some other top-shelf stuff that cost $50 and up. Don't see me wanting to spend that much on alcohol, but I do enjoy a good Scotch, rum toddy, or tequila straight or margarita now and again.

So I guess I'm asking, what is that bottom shelf stuff? I didn't see any Maddog 20/20 by it, so I guess maybe it's better than corn squeezins', but how much better? Is it stuff to drink just when you want to get a drunk on, or what?

(One of the cheap rums down at the bottom was "Admiral" something-or-other, an obvious knock-off of Captain Morgan).

So, what's up with this stuff?

Thanks,

Josh

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    It's probably pretty good for de-greasing engine parts and giving you hangovers.

Oh, you wanted to taste it? I'd move a bit higher up than the bottom shelf of econo-liquors.

What you often pay for is how 'pure' something is and I'm doubting that bottom shelf is that pure.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    We used to buy Comchaka Vodka by the car load for our party/get togethers when I was at BSU. We discovered that are profit margins increased greatly when we bought that instead of Skol. I was not partying to get drunk but rather to give everyone a real life view of economics:D

I will say that Jose Cuervo is one of the best drinks ever created....just sayin

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It was admiral nelson. Similar to the captain. If you're gonna mix it who cares, it's the same. I stay away from both, but I have tried both. Don't overlook sailor Jerry's.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I usually notice that the cheaper stuff is better for mixing into sugary drinks and making long islands, probably because they put so much sugar in it to make up for keeping it cheap.

I can't stand a topshelf long island, it has to be made with well liquor for me to like it.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    In the last six months I've been turned on to two cheapies by friends. Normally my whiskey of choice is Crown, Jamesons, or Glen Livet and my vodka is Svedka or Grey Goose.

The cheapie scotch I've found is Clan McGregor. If you prefer to mix your whiskey, this stuff is great and it's only about $15 for the big jug. The cheap vodka I've come to like is Caliber, sold only at Walmart. It's $9 for the big size and when mixed with Sprite or Seven-Up, it's pretty freakin' good.

I still love the high-end stuff but if I'm mixing, I'm going with the cheap stuff.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Hello,

I ran to the supermarket tonight because I felt like having some rum, and, well, I was out.

Got to browsing the selections, and down on the bottom there was 1.75L of spiced rum for about half of what 1.75L of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum runs.

It was in a plastic jug.

I grabbed it, took it up to the front register where I had noticed, on the way in, that a couple teenagers were working. I figured they would be good sources of info as my teenage years consisted solely of beer and Jose Quervo.

They had never had it, so I went back, put it back on the shelf, and grabbed some Bacardi, which I'd been meaning to try out. I'm finding it's not quite as refined as Captain Morgan, not quite as smooth, but it is pretty good.

They also had some other top-shelf stuff that cost $50 and up. Don't see me wanting to spend that much on alcohol, but I do enjoy a good Scotch, rum toddy, or tequila straight or margarita now and again.

So I guess I'm asking, what is that bottom shelf stuff? I didn't see any Maddog 20/20 by it, so I guess maybe it's better than corn squeezins', but how much better? Is it stuff to drink just when you want to get a drunk on, or what?

(One of the cheap rums down at the bottom was "Admiral" something-or-other, an obvious knock-off of Captain Morgan).

So, what's up with this stuff?

Thanks,

Josh

To your post specifically....I have tried several rum brands and only care for Sailor Jerry's and then Captain. I am not a rum fan but have spent a few saturday nights with a 2 liter of coke and a bottle of Sailor Jerry's

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I drink too much, and troll the innertoobz. sorry man. :D:D:D

Haha, I just looked up Admiral Nelson and laughed at the Cpt Morgan picture ripoff, but he never mentioned the front of the bottle resembles CM...Is that the only rum that comes in a plastic bottle?

I don't know :poop: about rum, because I can't stand it, so I guess I'm just asking how you were able to pinpoint what he was talking about so quickly, despite not having much info to go on.:):

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Haha, I just looked up Admiral Nelson and laughed at the Cpt Morgan picture ripoff, but he never mentioned the front of the bottle resembles CM...Is that the only rum that comes in a plastic bottle?

I don't know :poop: about rum, because I can't stand it, so I guess I'm just asking how you were able to pinpoint what he was talking about so quickly, despite not having much info to go on.:):

Ninja skills, son. ;)

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Actually, the stuff I described last in the thread starter was Admiral Nelson.

I still can't recall what was in the plastic bottle though.

Josh

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you're going to mix... Then you can get by just fine with "lower shelf" stuff.

I remember reading a taste test/contest about vodka about a year ago; the consensus was that the mid-level stuff consistently tasted better, even straight, than the higher level stuff like Grey Goose.

As for me and Rum; I'm not much of an imbiber of adult beverages, but I don't mind at all a few oz. of some of that Cruzan flavored white rum in a cola every now and again. Blasphemy, I know...heh.

-J-

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    To paraphrase "The Beast"

"I take the brake fluid, right, then filter it through bread to get rid of the :poop: , then I add sugar and raisins, let it sit the in the sun, keeps me steady on the gun, sir..."
    "Great. The engine is leaking, we are chased by Afghans, who don't run on petrol or anything that we know of, and Kaminski is drinking our brakes"...

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    As a drinkin' man and a former liquor store employee I think I can weigh in here.

The Admiral Nelson stuff really isn't too bad, especially for the price. Mixed, of course. If you REALLY want to sip spiced rum, get some Cpt. Morgan "Reserve" and keep it in the freezer.

Not really a rum guy myself, my specialty is cheap bourbon. Here is the run-down.

Beam's 8 Star ----STAY AWAY. A large percentage is just neutral grain spirits. This stuff is the worst.

Ten High ---- it will do in a pinch, but not really a pleasant whiskey to drink, even mixed.

Benchmark ----If you found this, snatch it up and bless the heavens. I find it sporadically in Indianapolis....my favorite liquor store had a dusty bottle a month ago that was hiding. I paid $8.99 for a 750ml bottle. Made by the Buffalo Trace Distillery. Tastes MUCH better than it's price point. I prefer this bourbon over Jim Beam.

Old Crow ----- This whiskey is a real steal. It was the preferred drink of Mark Twain, Henry Clay, Ulysses S. Grant, and Hunter S. Thompson. Smooth and cheap bourbon, not as bold as more expensive drinks but mixes very well and isn't too shabby by itself with a little ice water.

Evan Williams ---- Not bad, but an awkward choice for me because I usually want to spend either less or more than this price point. Unremarkable bourbon that mixes well and is drinkable. Definitely a big step up from Ten High.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I once bought that bottom-barrel Tequila at Walmart. That stuff was absolutely horrible, I couldn't stand it even in mixed drinks. So I poured it into an old Cuervo bottle and left it out in the open in my room (Fraternity house). The level of the bottle slowly decreased over time, and only once did somebody ever ask permission to drink it. Joke was on them. :D I don't buy anymore bottom barrel stuff. The lowest I'll go on Tequila is Cuervo and the lowest on rum is Bacardi.

Top Bottom