• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Ran a fan for ~10 minutes, big one from my shop. Moisture nearly disappeared from the ceiling. I think you guys were spot-on that this was an air-flow problem.

Before I ran the fan:

20150717_145214.jpg

20150717_145229.jpg

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    My furnace is small. Very small. Haven't located the model yet, but it's a goodman.

Condensor is also a goodman. Model GSC130301DA.

I pulled my blower cover. There was some noticeable suction when I pulled it off, but it wasn't terribly dirty.

Investigated my return air sources a bit. Each of the 3 small bedrooms has its own normal sized return vent in the floor.

There is only one return for the rest of the first level, at the bottom of the wall in the hallway. It's a larger vent, but it doesn't look like it would allow much air flow:

20150717_145222.jpg

This doesn't seem like enough for around 600 square feet of kitchen, living room and dining room. Wondering if this is my problem.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is a 'whole house fan' blowing into the attic. It is turned off with the louvers closed, although it does not seal very well.

What is it doing to cause this?

Allows migration from the attic. Temp cover it with cardboard and tape. Seal it off. I bet some of the issues go away.
    Moist air constantly seeks dry air.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Allows migration from the attic. Temp cover it with cardboard and tape. Seal it off. I bet some of the issues go away.
    Moist air constantly seeks dry air.

Ok, I'll try that out.

Any thoughts on my return air system?

If the blower door did not fight you when removing it you are OK there.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That is a 'whole house fan' blowing into the attic. It is turned off with the louvers closed, although it does not seal very well.

What is it doing to cause this?

I agree with CM...that is a prime suspect. You may be getting some air exchange between the attic and downstairs and since it's warmer than the living area, it wants to stay up top. And since the ceiling is cooler than the air--condensation. You might check for sealing around the perimeter of the fan/ceiling and as CM suggested seal of the fan itself.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Like CM suggested up thread, I'm a firm believer in keeping the air handler fan running all the time. It seems to help keep the air from becoming stagnant between cycles and I'd have to think it would help move that moist air around and keep it from concentrating anywhere in particular.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Ok. So sealing up the house fan is next on the list.

Question for you heating/cooling experts: Is the whole house fan worthwhile? I'm strongly considering getting rid of it altogether. I know it wastes my heat in the winter, and you guys seem to think it is contributing to moisture in the summer.

It helps cool the house on a nice 70 degree day... but then once I turn the AC on, isn't the AC working overtime to suck out all that moisture I pulled in with the house fan?

It sounds like I'm going to need to install an exhaust fan in that bathroom, too.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Like CM suggested up thread, I'm a firm believer in keeping the air handler fan running all the time. It seems to help keep the air from becoming stagnant between cycles and I'd have to think it would help move that moist air around and keep it from concentrating anywhere in particular.

Doesn't running that fan 24/7 run up the electric bill pretty quick? Does it wear out the air handler sooner?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ok. So sealing up the house fan is next on the list.

Question for you heating/cooling experts: Is the whole house fan worthwhile? I'm strongly considering getting rid of it altogether. I know it wastes my heat in the winter, and you guys seem to think it is contributing to moisture in the summer.

It helps cool the house on a nice 70 degree day... but then once I turn the AC on, isn't the AC working overtime to suck out all that moisture I pulled in with the house fan?

It sounds like I'm going to need to install an exhaust fan in that bathroom, too.

If I had a whole house fan, i'd use it. I've been in homes that have had them and I've been impressed with how they can cool a house down.

Can you get up in the attic and maybe fit a piece of styrofoam insulation over the top, in the winter? The newer ones I've seen have louvers which are insulated. But a few inches of insulation over it would reduce your heat loss.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    We do enjoy it, but cm seems to think it's contributing to moisture issues...opinions seem to widely vary on these fans, based on my researh so far.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Doesn't running that fan 24/7 run up the electric bill pretty quick? Does it wear out the air handler sooner?

Sure, it costs something. But it's worth it to keep the air from stagnating and it seems to feel cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

So far as wear and tear, the last house we lived in, we ran it all the time 6-8 years and had to replace the air conditioning condenser but the blower was still fine. We've been in this house since 2004 and ran the blower all the time. We had to replace the unit 2-3 years ago but the blower was still working fine.

Top Bottom