• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    My wife and I have recently switched churches and we haven't found a new small group yet, but at the last one, several of the small group members were LEOs, and they were okay with firearms in the sanctuary..

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I go shooting with a couple of the pastors of my church on a regular basis! And, I've been a party to the firearms discussions after church, chuch meetings etc. There's been several of the mutual "I didn't know you were in to guns" comments made over the years. Usually its followed by a "hey, lets get together to go shooting."

I'd say there are a lot of people that CC at church, Bible Study, and other functions. But, most probably make no mention of it unless asked.

On a related note, we had a similar discussion at our Euchre party last weekend with several friends from church. Come to find out I'm the ony one with a permit, and my wifes is in process. But there were a lot of questions about "How do I get mine" so there's a glimmer of hope.

It situations like these that help open people's eyes that guns are not scarey when carried responsibly, and that the people who carry are regular every-day folks just like them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm hesitant to broach the subject with people at my church (I'm Catholic), even those I know to be hunters and gun owners. There were way too many Obama '08 stickers on cars in my parish. Maybe some of the more enlightened will eventually find themselves here and we'll be able to identify each other as sympathetic to "the cause."

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    You ALL are a bunch of gun clinging religious fanatics!!! :):

er... WE ALL are a bunch of gun clinging religious fanatics!!! :D

Interestingly though, we don't strap detonators and bombs to our torso and 'glorify allah' by the slaughtering of innocents.

I wonder, once this country is handed over to the Muslims by Obama, what they will think when the REAL religious fanatics start demonstrating their cause with ANFO and detonators?

Do we then get to go 'zombie hunting'?

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm hesitant to broach the subject with people at my church (I'm Catholic), even those I know to be hunters and gun owners. There were way too many Obama '08 stickers on cars in my parish. Maybe some of the more enlightened will eventually find themselves here and we'll be able to identify each other as sympathetic to "the cause."

Might need to talk with them, anyway -- something about abortion comes to mind. :rolleyes: Priest, too, since I'm thinking some homilies might be in order.

Licensed day cares fall into the "school" thing, along with preschool and K-12.

The absurdity of this is, how can the state dictate to churches and parochial schools what is allowed or not on their property? The apocryphal "separation of church and state" has resulted in the removal of several monuments with the Ten Commandments inscribed around the state from state or municipally owned properties. How can there be a separation that prevents displaying a historical document because of its religious origins, yet no separation when the state dictates what objects are not allowed in religious schools? Hmm?

In any event, this is yet another reason why our #1 (or close to it) legislative goal should be to eliminate the nullification of our License to Carry Handgun on school property. The current law does zero to make anyone safer, and does much to put a lot of defenseless people at greater risk than need to be.

Regarding the "no carry at a church with a licensed preschool" issue, I just wanted to remind folks that there is an "authorized security guard" loophole that the church can avail itself of. At a larger church or a larger organization (like a Catholic church/school) it could be a problem. But, at podunk Baptist it might be as easy as getting a letter from the church board authorizing you to carry a firearm and act as a volunteer security guard. So, if the church is at all carry-friendly there could be a way around this. A search can reveal more discussion on this, but I think that this was the INGO consensus.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Kirk, a "Small Group" is generally a handful of folks of similar age and status that gets together outside of the standard church environment for fellowship. In a small church like ours, there is the young, unmarried folks, the young, married folks without kids, folks with little kids, folks with teens, then older folks..

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Might need to talk with them, anyway -- something about abortion comes to mind. :rolleyes: Priest, too, since I'm thinking some homilies might be in order.

You're 100% right about that.

Because of the way the laws are now, church officials have to be careful about how they approach political candidacy issues. Many if not all bishops across the country specifically sent letters to all of their dioscesan priests to read before the elections stating the Church's position on the sanctity of life and how if one subscribes to Catholicism, one absolute cannot vote for a candidate that supports abortion.

Apparently supporters of Obama who claim to be Catholic have some issues, whether it be rationalizing elements of their faith away or ignorance of the man's position on abortion and his voting history. Or perhaps they put their real religion (liberalism) ahead of the religion they claim to practice (Christianity).

Am I being judgemental? Heck yeah. I'm not going to apologize for it either.

Top Bottom