• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Anyone here cast rifle bullets? I've been reloading for the old Winchester collection I have, but have a few pails of wheel weights now, and want to start casting my own. I just recieved an old Lyman mold for doing 348 Win, and need to get started.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I cast a few bullest myself. I've not done much of it lately, but am getting back into it. I mainly cast for pistols, but may be able to give some pointers to you if you'd like. My best advice is the get yourself a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd Edition 9837249. 9837249. Lyman Gunsmith and Reloading Equipment.

and read through it. I use a bottom pour Lee pot and have been very happy with it. I still flux, but you really don't have to worry about slag like you do when ladle casting. If you are jsut going to cast a few calibers, I'd reccomend Lee sizing dies. they are available ina wide variety of diamters and fit into your standard single stage press. Also, they size nose first, aligning the bullet perfectly as it enters the sizing die. OH yeah, they also will seat a gas check if the mould requires it. Again, I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. Fell free to shoot me a PM if you'd like.

Doug K

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I do quite a bit of casting in my free time ( if and when I ever get any). I would be happy to help you out if you have any questions. Drop me a pm or something. Also what these guys above me here have said is A+ also. Absolutely on the lyman cast book ( I have it myself) and the cast boolits is a good website also.
    Another great site is the
    The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum
    Great resource there.
    Good luck

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Before you start check your bore diameter. Cast works best when it is at least .001 larger than bore diameter. This is done by tapping a soft lead slug, I use round muzzleloading balls, down your bore after oiling it. Mic the slug to get your number. Try to keep your velocity below 2000 fps, lots of folks shoot at higher but it gets more difficult the higher you go. Pick your bullet weight to try and stay in this range.:)

Top Bottom