• ...and so much more!
  • 2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Find out what your home owners and or renters insurance will cover on theft or fire etc, then just go that limit, unless you have a dedicated safe in a poured concrete vault!!!

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Regarding precious metals, I once heard Dave Ramsey say that if enough ^^^^ hits the fan that cash is insufficient to make transactions (meaning it has no real value), then it's the four b's that will be the most valuable currency: bullets, batteries, blue jeans and beans.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Regarding precious metals, I once heard Dave Ramsey say that if enough ^^^^ hits the fan that cash is insufficient to make transactions (meaning it has no real value), then it's the four b's that will be the most valuable currency: bullets, batteries, blue jeans and beans.

I don't always agree with DR, but I'm with him on this one. Gold has no intrinsic value in any sort of survival situation and requires a certain base level of society to be a useful trade item. Else why strike it into coins? To eliminate the need to ascertain purity and weight at every transaction.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Keeping a small amount of cash on hand and at home is the best way to be prepared for the unexpected "what ifs". What if an incredible gun deal comes up and the banks are closed that day? What if the gas pump continues to reject your card? What if you stumble across that item you've been looking for forever at a garage sale? What if you get up one morning and find your bank assets are frozen due to a "computer glitch" and may not be released for a week or more? What if you find someone has stolen your identity and your credit cards are frozen for 2-3 weeks? Anything can happen that is beyond your control. Having cash on hand is simply a bit of insurance that you would be prepared to deal with it. The amount of cash to keep on hand simply depends on your idea of "what if". And when you figure that out, be sure to have plenty of small bills rather than a few large ones. Do you really want to pay $100 for $15 of gas because the gas station cannot make change?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I used to only keep a few hundred bucks on hand. Ever since during Covid I needed cash to buy a camper at a steal, all chase banks were closed despite their hours, ATM limits wouldn’t be raised, etc, I keep a fair amount on hand. I wish everyone did Zelle now, but not everyone trusts it. Being prepared for an emergency without relying on the banks is pretty smart, be in cash, or cash + precious metals on hand. It is also nice being able to work out gun purchases without relying on bank’s ATMs having an out of order sign, because that has happened en route to deals.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Figure out all of your outflows for 1 month and then multiply by 3 to 6 months. With the way things are going there will be some great deals to be had. People will need money versus having”things”.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Everyone always seems to plan for the nation wide EMP attack. Instead think of the regional issues you have seen like Katrina. Having 1-3 months of living expenses in cash would have been invaluable if living in that region. Remember everything will be more expensive.

Usually have $200 -$500 cash in my wallet as I almost always pay for everything with cash. And a couple of $50 bills for emergencies. It is amazing what problems you can solve with $50 cash. Come outside to see a tow truck driver getting ready to tow your car and a $50 will make him disappear. Try that with a credit card.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    One of the few advantages of our coming "cashless society" is that when I show the mugger I have no cash in my wallet, he's more likely to believe I don't have any. I never keep cash in my wallet - it is stashed elsewhere. I doubt he'll take the time to pat me down. After all, he's not the TSA.

Depending on the circumstance, I'm OK with spending $100 on $15 of gas. If things are bad enough, the C note will soon be worthless, and if the gas station is sucker enough to accept fiat money, that's on them. Such a circumstance is unlikely, but possible.

Speaking of black helicopters, during our pistol class Saturday 6 Blackhawks flew over in formation at low altitude.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One of the few advantages of our coming "cashless society" is that when I show the mugger I have no cash in my wallet, he's more likely to believe I don't have any. I never keep cash in my wallet - it is stashed elsewhere. I doubt he'll take the time to pat me down. After all, he's not the TSA.

Depending on the circumstance, I'm OK with spending $100 on $15 of gas. If things are bad enough, the C note will soon be worthless, and if the gas station is sucker enough to accept fiat money, that's on them. Such a circumstance is unlikely, but possible.

Speaking of black helicopters, during our pistol class Saturday 6 Blackhawks flew over in formation at low altitude.
    They'll still take the cards and use them as long as they can before you report them stolen.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    IDriver
    Top Bottom